Sony MDR-V6 or Audio Technica ATH-M50?
Nov 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nites

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to Hip-Hop (Lots of 90s stuff) and also I will be using them to watch movies as well. I use to own the Beats Studios but I found that the bass was way too overwhelming and sounded too artificial. Also, I was wondering if I would need a headphone amp to power any of these two headphones. In the future I might be using them to do a bit of mixing as well. Lastly, comfort is also a big thing. 

Beyerdynamic is another brand that I'm also interested in. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 9
No they're very tinny and thin sounding.  M50 can sound thin and tinny as well, but it's less so.  I wouldn't use either to mix something unless they're EQ'd, however I'd sooner use the M50 to listen to music.  

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I mainly listen to Hip-Hop (Lots of 90s stuff) and also I will be using them to watch movies as well. I use to own the Beats Studios but I found that the bass was way too overwhelming and sounded too artificial. Also, I was wondering if I would need a headphone amp to power any of these two headphones. In the future I might be using them to do a bit of mixing as well. Lastly, comfort is also a big thing. 

Beyerdynamic is another brand that I'm also interested in. 

Might help to know what your plugging the headphones into?
Are the headphones to be used in private only? maybe get semi-open headphones?

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Might help to know what your plugging the headphones into?
Are the headphones to be used in private only? maybe get semi-open headphones?

I will be plugging them into my PC. That's why I was wondering whether or not I will be needing a usb amp or not. I do have an old AM100 stereo mixer which I never use. Also yes I will be using the headphones at home only. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Allegedly the only difference between the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 are the gold plugs on the 7506. I personally love the sound of the 7506's especially for hip-hop so my vote goes to the sony's. I usually drive them from my S3 so you probably won't need an amp at all. But i also enjoy the sound of most Audio technica products, unfortunately I haven't actually listened to the M50's.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 9
I agree with the previous comments that the MDR-v6 sound rather harsh.  I enjoyed listening to music with the M50 much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back