Sony MDR-V6 - Did I make the right choice?
Nov 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Phayzon

New Head-Fier
I just ordered the v6 off amazon, after a lot of contemplating, I've been deciding between the Sony xb500, the koss pro dj100 (probs should have gotten this) and of course the v6, I listen to mainly metal/rock, some pop, some rap, and some dubstep, and sometimes other genres too.
Did i make the right choice, the dj100s went up to $80 so I ruled them out, the xb500 still $70 but the v6s went down to $50 today

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 8
I've owned the Koss pro dj1000's and while they are attractively built, it is my opinion that they require an amp.  Just about every source I tried struggled to power them enough so that they hit their sweet spot.

Without an amp you simply cannot form a full appreciation for what the pro dj 1000's sound like.  They are built extremely well though, and look really nice.  They just aren't good for your average source.

The xb500's are gimmicky, but that is just my opinion... I wouldn't take them seriously.  The MDR V6's, however, are somewhat iconic and every audiophile should be issued a pair.

I think you made the right choice.  Grab some velour pads for them while you're at it since you saved so much.  Those headphones will serve you well for years on end.  They are workhorses, and work well.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 8
I ordered these from Amazon Thanksgiving day for $39.99. I owned a pair of these for many years and when the ear pads just went I just got rid of them. How dumb I had no idea that fixing them could be so easy so when I found them for forty dollars I was real happy to have another pair. Also ordered the velour pads. It will be interesting to compare these to my Audio Technica ATH-M50s.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Well I finally got these babies, and gotta say, I love them. I love the sound and everything, only one small problem, I don't know if it's just me, but if I'm close to the headphones in my with them playing without me wearing them, at enough sound it's like a speaker. And i really hate that lol. It's fine since these headphones are great, anyway to reduce some leaking?

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 8
There is no right choice. This isn't like a tattoo, where you are just stuck with it.  These probably won't be your last headphones in your lifetime.  With them, you will find out how you like your music to sound like and go from there.  Your next headphone will most likely cost double or triple the cost.  Then, you should make more cautious buying decisions.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Well I finally got these babies, and gotta say, I love them. I love the sound and everything, only one small problem, I don't know if it's just me, but if I'm close to the headphones in my with them playing without me wearing them, at enough sound it's like a speaker. And i really hate that lol. It's fine since these headphones are great, anyway to reduce some leaking?

Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour ear pads, only $18.18, comfort :)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CK_83IP57bMCFaU5QgodCH4AmQ

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
There is no right choice. These probably won't be your last headphones in your lifetime.  With them, you will find out how you like your music to sound like and go from there.  Your next headphone will most likely cost double or triple the cost.

There are right choices in everything. These V6s are my last headphones unless I'm lottery bound. I like how MY music sounds on them. And buying these when my V600s went south was one of my few wise life decisions.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back