Sony MDR-SA5000 vs. AKG K 701/702
Jun 28, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #31 of 60

Quote:
Yeah, all the parts are high-quality.  Burr-Brown, Nichicon fine gold, look at the specs.

Sigh.

No, the circuitry makes a difference. The STX uses an OPA627 right? It's not going to sound as good as PPAv2 which uses the same opamp because of the circuitry.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #33 of 60
No, it uses two [size=x-small][size=x-small]JRC 2114Ds, and a [/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small]LM4562NA.[/size][/size]

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #34 of 60
Here's what people here think of the soundcard:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/471333/asus-xonar-essence-stx

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #35 of 60
For opamps and PSU, see this tangentsoft article. Discrete circuits, some people think they're inherently better, some people think it's a matter of implementation.

I have no interest in debating whether the STX is a good headphone amp or not, that topic has been talked about to death before. Just try some different headphone amps, there's good reason to, that's all we're saying. 

(edit - Discrete, not discreet. Whoops. I suppose some circuits can be discreet if they're really, really, sneaky) 

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #36 of 60

Quote:
Here's what people here think of the soundcard:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/471333/asus-xonar-essence-stx

I know. I read through the entire thread when I was considering buying it. I realized that a dedicated amp and dac will sound better, albeit at extra cost. It's somewhat capable on its own, but hardly a world-beater. It just won't be able to provide as much power as dedicated components. At least try a dedicated set up if you have the money. Pacific Valve Audio has a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm not saying the STX is garbage, I'm just saying that you can do better, especially when considering the K701, which I don't think you should get if you like as much bass as the Triports have. But even with the D2000, it'd be nice to have a decent amp to bring it closest to its fullest potential than it can. It doesn't need too much. The STX will do fine with that I guess.

Quote:
I have no interest in debating whether the STX is a good headphone amp or not, that topic has been talked about to death before. Just try some different headphone amps, there's good reason to, that's all we're saying. 

x2!

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #38 of 60
Yeah, I make slightly over minimum wage and have to pay off my student loans.  Those are too expensive for me.

I don't like a lot of bass, I think it sounds better with more treble.  I mean I like the bass to have definition and punch when appropriate. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #39 of 60

Quote:
Yeah, I make slightly over minimum wage and have to pay off my student loans.  Those are too expensive for me.

I don't like a lot of bass, I think it sounds better with more treble.  I mean I like the bass to have definition and punch when appropriate. 

Whoops, sorry then. Misinterpreted that.

I honestly thought the bass of the SA5000 had pretty good definition when called for.

If that's the case, then I really don't know what to suggest. The D2000s' treble wasn't to my liking, but didn't need too much power. The SA5000s need a decent amp, but had amazing treble for my standards. K701? They'll need moar powah. Grados?

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #40 of 60
I don't know what kind of engineer you are, but you might want to consider rolling your own amp. There are many designs and you'll want more power on tap than what a soundcard will give you. The Asus is popular due to its low price for new members, who give it breathless reviews because it actually is the best thing they've ever heard. Those who have been around the block a few times own dedicated, discrete amps. Besides, it's hard to base a rig with a turntable, FM tuner, speakers, and much else around a card. You'll find the cards roundly criticized by some knowledgeable folks, but their voices tend to be drowned out.

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #41 of 60

Quote:

Seems to me that if your budget is pretty limited you shouldn't be looking at phones like the 70X which need very good amplification. First figure out the total you're willing to spend, because with the 70X, you're looking at over $500 total for phones plus amp...maybe a little less if you buy used. If that's over your budget maybe have a look at something like the m50 or the Shure 840 which should still be a big improvement over your Bose and will work well out of your soundcard

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #42 of 60
I've read many places where people are using the Asus Xonar Essence STX and the K701.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476602/asus-xonar-stx-built-in-amp-and-k701-synergy

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #43 of 60
I never really understand why people on here don't first ask - what music do you primarily listen to? 

I've had the Triports and honestly, they weren't that bad.  The build quality for the price is what irked me, but I really noticed the difference when I put on a violin concerto and the timbre of the instrument was off.  That's what made me do the research and decide that the K701s were right for me (as a primarily classical/organic instruments listener). I no longer have the Triports so I can't really compare them now, but when you say "good bass," bear in mind that the K701s have a realistic, not overbearing bass.  When I hear a bass guitar, it's what I know them to sound like, same with drums after 10+years of being a drummer (also piano and guitar).  I've never heard the other headphones you listed so I don't know how they compare.  

Regarding amps - since I spent all my budget on the headphones, I had to get a Fiio E5.  YES it drives them, yes I'm positive the sound will improve when I upgrade, but my God - music sounds SO amazing and life like through it as is!  Well made recordings sound like I'm attending a performance, there's been so many times where I just have to stop what I'm doing and focus on the music.  I even had a friend of mine who is a performer come and check them out - we both just listened in awe to various recordings.   

So anyway, don't be put off from getting a headphone you want because people say your amp or soundcard will not drive them properly.  If I had, I would of missed out on a lot of amazing music this past year. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #44 of 60
Odd, bass sounds natural to me on my triports, and I'm a bassist.  Flutes sound perfect to me, and I'm a flutist.  I listen to rock, soft-rock, folk, and classical :p 

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #45 of 60
LOL @ this thread. First of all, I owned the SA5000 and even unamped, they are much better than the triports. They reproduce music much more accurately than any Bose headphone (and I've heard them all). You are just used to flabby, one note bass instead of realistic bass. Just go out and buy the Beats by Dr. Dre. I think you will love those. Second, stop trying to convince us that this soundcard is a substitute for a real headphone amp. If you only want to listen to yourself, that's fine, but don't keep trying to convince those of us who know better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back