Sony MDR-SA5000 : The Rescue Mission
Jul 9, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Tell you something else - they sound FANTASTIC and the broken SA5000s just make my SA1000s sound like trash
rolleyes.gif

Well of course they sound better now that they are broken-in.
tongue.gif
Sorry GS I just had to. Personally I would snag a Beyerdynamic headband and fabricate some forks on each end to attach to the swivel points on the Sonys, then insert them into the little black boxes on the ends of the headband. I have Beyer USAs # if you decide to go that route.

EDIT: on second hand I don't know how far gone the headband is, it looked pretty bad in the pics but if it's still salvagable you'd prolly be better off going the way you stated initially. Erix (i hope I'm spelling that correctly) is an excellent metal worker and could most likely cut that headband for you if he has the materials available.

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
canibalize the sa1000 for its chassis and put the sa5000 cups on it

I think that would be your best bet.. :p

Jul 9, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 23
Use the one from the SA1000.... good luck with it. And post pics of your little healed baby.

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
canibalize the sa1000 for its chassis and put the sa5000 cups on it

GS isn't getting my pair, no way. I enjoy mine too much for something like that
biggrin.gif
Also, I get the feeling it wouldn't work too easily, since you'd have to mangle an SA1000 headband to make it work, since it's got wires inside and poking out- it's got a single sided cord entry, so one must keep that in mind.

Have you given Grado a ring on the matter, GS? I get the feeling you potentially could get a headband from them (for a fee, of course), and then work with it from there, or you could see if Sennheiser has a HD580/600/650 headband available for fitting and all that stuff. I imagine a replacement AT (A900 maybe?) headband could work, but you'd have to make sure that whatever headband you do use has the same swivel/angle stops that the SA5000's already had. The SA1000's are similar, I believe, and keep it from being a good DJ headphone for functionality sake becuase the earcups can't go 360.

I'm very interested to see where this project ends up!
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #21 of 23
Might I recommend putting out a WTB on a headband from a CD3000 znd see if that works. It just might. If it is too small, I am sure someone else would love to snag it.

Larry at Headphile must have some lying around.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #22 of 23
Pictures would be great if possible.

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I should have said stanless steel. That is what I had in mind.

Use titanium damn you! Or custom mold them out of carbon-fiber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back