Sony MDR-SA5000 really good phones?
Jul 5, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
Then played a test CD with pink noise, my favourite and most reliable way of determining the neutrality of a component. Listened with the 5K's... then the HD600 and said to myself "now that is what those are supposed to sound like". Sold the SA5k's the next week, even though I really enjoyed them for electronica - for which they were outstanding, because there is no 'natural' or 'correct' sound of sounds artificially generated on computer.

I agree the noise test is a very good thing to test neutrality. The HD600 is especially neutral and this test proves it. All this talk about the SA5000 makes me think they're not neutral at all and can't be used for reference and critial listening.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
It is treble-happy at times, and a bit fast down low. However, it isnt balanced as my ears cant stand them at somewhat loud volumes.

I like to listen at very loud levels like 100-110 dB so I guess the SA5k are really not for me. Thanks for helping out.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #18 of 47
Hi magnum,

I simply prefer SA5000 over HD650 (stock or Zu), but that's for my ears. I found the SA5000 has faster attack, decay, details and treble energy. Where as HD650's less colouration, more bass resonence and is more natural sounding.

To me they are well worth the price for the sound quality, design and the stand!

Overlunge

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
I like to listen at very loud levels like 100-110 dB

That's a quick way from head-fi to deaf-fi
frown.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
That's a quick way from head-fi to deaf-fi
frown.gif

I hear ya! (LOL)
biggrin.gif

Still, Most of the time I listen at 70-80 dB max when working, but when I mix and master and want to get critical, I pump the **** up. Not too long at a time though, otherwize tinnitus would be my best friend.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #22 of 47
VERY TRUE.... the SA5k ARE entertaining with some tracks, but my goal is for flat and it just didnt suit me.

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
VERY TRUE.... the SA5k ARE entertaining with some tracks, but my goal is for flat and it just didnt suit me.

650's are not flat !
Maybe they are to your ears, nothing wrong with that.
For some people the s5k's sound more flat/neutral. As is always it greatly depends on your tastes.
I personally like the s5k's more, but that doesn't mean they are better.

Veto

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #26 of 47
magnum said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Joey, I'm sure the SA5k wasn't for you, but how long did you try it out? I personally found it took 3 weeks and a source/amp change before I was truly happy with it.

What source/amp did you find that work?

Grace m902. I found my Chord DAC64/Blu > Grace m902 > SA5k made me grin stupid grins and roll on the floor in bliss. I couldn't believe how much it more brought to my crappy JPop music over the SR-71 > HD600/Cardas or Cary 300SEI (completely stock tubes though) > R10.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 5, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto
650's are not flat !
For some people the s5k's sound more flat/neutral. As is always it greatly depends on your tastes.

Veto

Right and the graphs all lie.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto
650's are not flat !

Veto

Stereoplay graphs tell the HD650 is by far the flattest among the headphones they tested (i.e. top sennheisers, beyers, grados, some akgs)

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Stereoplay graphs tell the HD650 is by far the flattest among the headphones they tested (i.e. top sennheisers, beyers, grados, some akgs)

Yes, and the Grado RA-1 is Stereoplays reference headphone amplifier and next was the Creek OBH 21 SE given a "Highlight" predicate.
No matter what you think about the quality of the Grado and the Creek, they are by no means the highlights of headphone amp invention, really no way.
icon10.gif

So much to the expertise of Stereoplay on headphones.

So coming back to these frequency graphs of Stereoplay, what are they actually worth?
Compare them to the graphs of headroom.com or other publications.
My own experiences tell me that the HD650 does not have a flat frequency response.

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos
So coming back to these frequency graphs of Stereoplay, what are they actually worth?
Compare them to the graphs of headroom.com or other publications.
My own experiences tell me that the HD650 does not have a flat frequency response.

That and the fact that people's ears are never 'flat', either. Few are the critical listeners that could appreciate a truly flat signal for what it is - we each seem to have our own inner ear EQ that causes the one to say "This bass is recessed" and the other to gainsay.

Don't trust graphs. Have a listen, and trust your ears. If it sounds flat to you, it IS flat - to all intents and purposes anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back