Sony MDR-SA5000 really good phones?
Jul 4, 2005 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

magnum

Head-Fier
I just ordered a pair and I couldn't find much recent comments about the mdr-sa5000. I would like to know what people think of these phones now.

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 47
If you mean "actually good headphones,” yes. I really like them, and think that they are better than the HD600 or 650.

If you mean "incredibly good headphones," kind of. There are better ones out there.

But you should be happy. I almost bought them over the Stax 313/404. I really like the way the SA5000's treble sounds with some recordings. Happy listening.

EDIT: I just realized how cynical this second paragraph sounds. The SA5000s ARE excellent hi-fi cans.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 47
I just cruised your profile Magnum and tbo, am quite surprised that you even care.
tongue.gif

I would like to know how they rank among your collection once they are received.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 47
Yes incredibly good is what I mean. I have the hd600 and 650 too and was impressed about a review saying about how revealing neutral they are... , It was really what i'm looking for, No coloration and let the recording come through as is.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 47
They are very different from the HD650s. Personally, I couldn't stand them. It seems that people who love the 650s hate the SA5000s, and vice versa. I found them to be extremely bright and sterile. Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with them, and certainly many people love the way the sound. It all depends on what you like.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 47
I've been using them for a month. They are very detailed and fast, but the treble is emphasized/extended, which is distracting. The highs also hurt my ears like daggers.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
They are very different from the HD650s. Personally, I couldn't stand them. It seems that people who love the 650s hate the SA5000s, and vice versa. I found them to be extremely bright and sterile. Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with them, and certainly many people love the way the sound. It all depends on what you like.

I've heard it depends on how good your source is.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 47
I've been upgrading relentlessly, and to be honest the sound hasn't changed too much. I had been running them out of the line out of my iPod to a PAV2 for a while, then I gradually upgraded to the setup I have today. Although the soundstage was DRAMATICALLY expanded, the details increased, and the sound refined, the highs are still overly emphasized and painful.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnum
It was really what i'm looking for, No coloration and let the recording come through as is.

Well, that also depends how ones thinks a recording shoud sound. Damn this crazy subjective hobby.

But IMO, yes I think the SA5K does this. With the HD650 I felt in the audience. With the SA5K, I feel jacked into the mixing board. TME, the SA5K is a very honest 'phone.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

I'll disagree with that one completely I owned the SA5000 for a brief time and did not like them at all and my sources are quite good. I just couldn't get past the exagerrated treble. But if your looking for the most detail around than the SA5000's might be for you.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Meridian G08, Singlepower MPX3, SR-71, SM v3, X-DACv3, Onix CD-1, etc.... I think all of my sources are pretty good. It is just a matter of preference.

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 47
Bought the SA5000.
Sold the SA5000.
Bought the HD650.
Kept the HD650.

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Bought the SA5000.
Sold the SA5000.
Bought the HD650.
Kept the HD650.

Joey, I'm sure the SA5k wasn't for you, but how long did you try it out? I personally found it took 3 weeks and a source/amp change before I was truly happy with it.

Incidentally, after the dust settled, I ended up keeping my Qualia 010/SA5k and sold/gave away my HD600/HD650. I've probably got well over 100 hours of on-head time with each, other than the HD650, which after burning-in, only got listened to for maybe about 20 or so hours and just sat around gathering dust for a few months before I decided to sell.

Best,

-Jason

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 47
They just did not sound natural or realistic to me. After a month with them and over 100 hrs of burn-in, I went back to the HD600's, played my favourite tracks and it felt like coming home from a long trip to a foreign country - in a very good vibe.

Then played a test CD with pink noise, my favourite and most reliable way of determining the neutrality of a component. Listened with the 5K's... then the HD600 and said to myself "now that is what those are supposed to sound like". Sold the SA5k's the next week, even though I really enjoyed them for electronica - for which they were outstanding, because there is no 'natural' or 'correct' sound of sounds artificially generated on computer.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Joey, I'm sure the SA5k wasn't for you, but how long did you try it out? I personally found it took 3 weeks and a source/amp change before I was truly happy with it.

Incidentally, after the dust settled, I ended up keeping my Qualia 010/SA5k and sold/gave away my HD600/HD650. I've probably got well over 100 hours of on-head time with each, other than the HD650, which after burning-in, only got listened to for maybe about 20 or so hours and just sat around gathering dust for a few months before I decided to sell.

Best,

-Jason

Jason,
I tried it out for about 3 days. I dont believe in break in and I believe the sound they give out of box is the sound the have forever.... so it wasnt hard for me to decide that it wasnt for me. The 650s out of box were amazing to say the least. I am real happy with my choice.

IF I HAD THE MONEY, I wouldnt mind having a pair of the SA5k - I dont hate them or anything. However, if I had to pay the $400 for them, they can go back to the store because although the sound is certainly appealing, I dont find it to have a flat sound... and that's what I need in a $400 phone. It is treble-happy at times, and a bit fast down low. However, it isnt balanced as my ears cant stand them at somewhat loud volumes.

Joey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back