Sony Mdr-sa headphones are now available in the UK! :)
Mar 13, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #32 of 43
All I can think about 24/7 is the SONY MDR-SA5000's. Really appreciate the links posted! Would love to try them with my new IC's. (and of course amp etc.)

I can only find the R10's too.
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by digicom_t1
I will make a proposal to any interested buyer. In the interest of Science and Head-Fi readers, I will knock off $50 if said buyer will allow me to ship these to GSFerrari to include in the SA1000, 3000, 5000 Shootout before getting them. I can overnight them to him Mon. morning, we get a first rate shoot out, I get a sale and you can have them sooner than waiting for shipment from Japan. It took 15 days to get mine - 5 days just getting from the warehouse to the airport in Osaka!

Any takers? -------- Tom

Tom, why the offer to get the SA3k to gsferrari? I think the stars have aligned such that the SA1k/3k and 5k (and Qualia for that matter) will all be upcoming Florida meet.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #35 of 43
Hi Jason,

Didn't realize that. I inferred from gsferrari's post that it might be a while before he got the 3ks from you. I already had a pair up for sale and thought I might be able to work something to get a set to him sooner that's all.

I'm dying to read a review of the 3 models ! I'm dying to open these up and compare to my 5ks but the wife will kill me! Also, no way am I qualified to write a review nor do I have the benefit of experience that gsferrari has. Truth be told, I'm more than a little afraid the comparison between the SA3K and SA5K will reveal them to be too close to justify the price I paid for the SA5k! Your initial comparison of the two made me feel a little better
icon10.gif
. Enough that I bought the SA5ks before these arrived!

--- Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Tom, why the offer to get the SA3k to gsferrari? I think the stars have aligned such that the SA1k/3k and 5k (and Qualia for that matter) will all be upcoming Florida meet.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by digicom_t1
Hi Jason,

Didn't realize that. I inferred from gsferrari's post that it might be a while before he got the 3ks from you. I already had a pair up for sale and thought I might be able to work something to get a set to him sooner that's all.

Ah, I see, I see. I wish I had phrased my post differently. When I wrote it, I was thinking "man, I know gsferrari is a headphone nut, but what the heck is he gonna do with two SA3k at once?!"

Actually, the answer to that question frightens me.

But yah, the SA3k has been burning in for the last week straight, so it's well over 150 hours now, probably over 200 as I got these used. I put them on for brief impressions this morning and a side-by-side with the SA5k out of the bed rig.

I don't think the SA3k have improved that much with burn-in actually. My initial impressions are confirmed - the SA3k actually do sound a lot like the SA5k. I love the clarity and speed, which are what makes the SA5k so special. But I don't think it rises to the level of the SA5k, mainly due to the lack of bass and resulting thinness in sound.

So I guess my conclusions aren't too different. If you're considering the SA5k, you ought to spend the extra cash and get the SA5k. But the more interesting comparisons for those interested in the SA3k will probably be against the SA1k and competitors like the HD600/650 or Grado.

Best regards,

-Jason

Postscript: Not to give anyone the wrong impression - I think the HD600/650 clearly outclass the SA3k, but they all have sonic attributes that are so different that I can see recommending the SA3k over the HD650 to some.

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #37 of 43
Sorry for dropping in late!!

Been skiing the whole of yesterday and today and I just have enough time to have a massage and hit the sack before I head for another day of terrorizing the slopes
tongue.gif

So which SA3000 will I have access to? And when? Some VERY generous people stepping up to the plate with their personal examples of the SA3K. Fantastic guys...thats the spirit!

Jason - any ETA on the SA3000? I dont think my SA5K is sufficiently broken in and right now SA1K and SA5K are on full-time duty with a few amps to kick into gear when the shootout begins.

Ouch...every muscle in my body hurts...2 days of skiing with 2 more days to go. I hope I live to actually do this shootout
tongue.gif

First time skier here...I hit a few signs, people, trees and broke the speed limit on the advanced slope
rolleyes.gif

Talk about overdoing it on the first attempt...

<sleep...sleep>

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Jason - any ETA on the SA3000?

Well, I'm thinking of having a mini-meet next weekend here in Tokyo. Not decided or not, but we will likely have the CD3k if tk_suki comes. I'll see if this happens though, but I'll probably ship out the SA3k by next Monday (March 21) at the latest.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 13, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
"My game's like the Pythagorean Theorem. It ain't got no answer." - Shaquille O'Neal"My game's like the Pythagorean Theorem. It ain't got no answer." - Shaquille O'Neal

Is that quote for real?
icon10.gif

Yea, I heard it referenced on Sports Center one night. I use it all the time now.

Liver

Mar 13, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_8640.html
The Sony mdr-sa1000 is under £100 and sa5000 is under £350 plus delivery. Not bad, but still significantly more expensive than in Japan and more than the US will have to pay. Still it's easier buying from your own country, and quicker to get what you want.

very good price

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiped
Link
Technikdirekt

Ships to most countries
260 Euro for Sony MDR-SA 3000
459 Euro or 320,89£ or $618,04 or 4164,60skr for Sony MDR-SA 5000

I have ordered from them before. Is a good vendor. Good service and very reliable. Good prices also.

I am really tempted to order the MDR-SA 5000, but I have certain fears: bright like the CD3K? Good bass?..mmmmmm

amp

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #43 of 43
If you guys order the MDR SAx000's so will I.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back