Sony Mdr-sa headphones are now available in the UK! :)
Mar 8, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 43
I've heard that there is high frequency information in music which, although not consciously audible, makes a difference psychoacoustically. I don't really know any more details than that, but you can look it up on Google or something.

Mar 8, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
They sound bright but don't give me a headache. They're missing mids. I can't say anything else, as my soundcard died and i'm using the built in "soundmax" thing of my motherboard, which seems to have a built in effects thing. The result of which is "bassmax".

I really do think they sound good for the price however. Need someone with qualified ears to get them. I can't believe no one's bought them in nearly 3 months. I should have hyped them more!

Thanks for the feedback
smily_headphones1.gif

But to be honest, I think I'm talking myself out of getting the SA1000's... I've already got HD600's and MS-1's in that sort of range, so getting SA1000's wouldn't be much of a step up I guess (unless anyone can compare SA1000's against HD600's and show the SA1000's as clearly superior, but I doubt that will be the case
smily_headphones1.gif
). I think I'll end up stepping up to the top level in the SAx000 range
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #18 of 43
"My game's like the Pythagorean Theorem. It ain't got no answer." - Shaquille O'Neal"My game's like the Pythagorean Theorem. It ain't got no answer." - Shaquille O'Neal

Is that quote for real?
icon10.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 43
I spoke to my local Sony Store earlier today (and also to another nearby one just to double check), and was quoted the following prices:

SA-1000: £129.99
SA-5000: £479.99

blink.gif

So the 1000's are about 30% more than Unbeatable's price, but the 5000's are about 40% more!!! The best street price in Japan (afaik at Fujiya) is around half that (based on 48,000 yen = £240 approx)!!! OK, I'd have to pay to get them shipped here, but it's still a massive difference
mad.gif

Based on that, I suspect I'll either go straight to a UK web store, or try to get them direct from Japan. And to think that I was beginning to think that 'Rip Off Britain' was largely a myth
mad.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #20 of 43
This sucks:

From Unbeatable.co.uk: "Please note we do not send goods outside of the UK or to BFPO addresses (Eire excluded)."

What are us poor Danes going to do. Just sit here and wait! Noooo!
mad.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
This sucks:

From Unbeatable.co.uk: "Please note we do not send goods outside of the UK or to BFPO addresses (Eire excluded)."

What are us poor Danes going to do. Just sit here and wait! Noooo!
mad.gif

Make like us Brits, and order from Japan
biggrin.gif
. Or maybe we could get some sort of European group buy together
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #22 of 43
You mean like Audiocubes.com?

Group buy sounds cool! I'm in!
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
You mean like Audiocubes.com?

Group buy sounds cool! I'm in!
wink.gif

I was thinking more like the ones that jjcha recently organised, as this would be significantly cheaper than Audiocubes. However, jjcha has already invested a lot of his own time organising two buys, and won't be doing any more, I believe. The problem with organising a group buy like the previous ones is that we would need someone in Japan to sort out that end
frown.gif
. Besides, I wouldn't know how to go about organising a group buy
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #24 of 43
Street prices from other vendors will be lower, as per usual Sony Centre differences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveabrey
I spoke to my local Sony Store earlier today (and also to another nearby one just to double check), and was quoted the following prices:

SA-1000: £129.99
SA-5000: £479.99

blink.gif

So the 1000's are about 30% more than Unbeatable's price, but the 5000's are about 40% more!!! The best street price in Japan (afaik at Fujiya) is around half that (based on 48,000 yen = £240 approx)!!! OK, I'd have to pay to get them shipped here, but it's still a massive difference
mad.gif

Based on that, I suspect I'll either go straight to a UK web store, or try to get them direct from Japan. And to think that I was beginning to think that 'Rip Off Britain' was largely a myth
mad.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 43
I just thought I would post a link, www.cyberport.de where you can buy the new SONY MDR-SA5000 headphones because I know what it's like when you're struggling to find out where to buy audio gear. Any other links? (That ship to Europe or worldwide.) Hope this helps someone
confused.gif

Oh, and you need to be able to read some German.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I have SA1000 coming my way this week. I have SA3000 coming my way towards the end of this month.

Unfortunately I will not have all 3 of them at the same time under my roof
tongue.gif

SA1000 vs. SA5000 review will be coming up sometime next week
SA3000 vs. SA5000 review will be coming up after the first one
Qualia vs. SA5000 review will be coming up in April

GS,

I have a NIB (haven't even opened the outer shipping box) pair of the SA3000's up for sale in the F/S Forum now:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110714

I will make a proposal to any interested buyer. In the interest of Science and Head-Fi readers, I will knock off $50 if said buyer will allow me to ship these to GSFerrari to include in the SA1000, 3000, 5000 Shootout before getting them. I can overnight them to him Mon. morning, we get a first rate shoot out, I get a sale and you can have them sooner than waiting for shipment from Japan. It took 15 days to get mine - 5 days just getting from the warehouse to the airport in Osaka!

Any takers? -------- Tom

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by amp 36
Check this German site. The prices are very good, and they ship wordlwide, although now the Sonys are not in stock.

http://www.directshopper.de/au_zro_k...reis-ueber-110

I am very interested in knowing how this new Sonys compare with the CD3K. Especially if they are less bright and with more bass.

Regards.
amp

amp,

Thanks for the link
smily_headphones1.gif
. Their price looks pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 43
The cyberport site has SA5000 but with

"Voraussichtlich lieferbar ab 07.04.2005"

"Presumably available starting from 07.04.2005"

Not bothered looking through the other one.. good prices but it looks like the europe release may still be a few months away now... its irrelevant to me having already got a pair but someone in the uk just buy or enquire at unbeatable.. i just dont think they're available quite yet.. which would make sense with a near simultaneous launch with when its supposed to be released in the US

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #30 of 43
This looks like the cheapest option for sony mdr-sa headphones in anywhere but Japan:
http://www.pricejapan.com/PriceJapan_com.htm
The lowest price for the sa5000 on there recommended price comparison engine is 50000 yen, plus 5% for shipping anywhere from them using DHL, it works out at only £261.82. Add 20% for UK Vat/Handling and total price is: £314. Pretty dam good as it's £50 less than unbeatable.
The sa3000 price in Japan is basically the same as the sa1000 price on unbeatable! With pricejapan and my UK governments cut, it works out at: £148! Ok finally the sa1000 works out at £103 which isn't so good, I'd recommend UK buyers buying from unbeatable for that model, but the sa5000 and 3000 are worth buying from Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back