Sony Mdr-sa headphones are now available in the UK! :)
Mar 3, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 43
dammit, tho it didn't work out too much more for me... if i'd of seen this sooner tho
smily_headphones1.gif

Although it does mention about it being a special order.. someone from the UK order them and see how long they take to arrive.. hopefully that means Sony UK would be able to service mine if needed, probably at cost tho
frown.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 43
Sony Centres should get the SA1K and SA5K in soon. AFAIK, the SA3K will remain Japan-only. Expect prices to go down a bit for web shops and some high street. Keep an eye on askdirect as well... they're usually very competitive.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
surely UK sony centres wont get them before US ones!? though i'm not overly concerned as i've already overpaid for my imported pair

It's quite likely they will.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 43
I have SA1000 coming my way this week. I have SA3000 coming my way towards the end of this month.

Unfortunately I will not have all 3 of them at the same time under my roof
tongue.gif

SA1000 vs. SA5000 review will be coming up sometime next week
SA3000 vs. SA5000 review will be coming up after the first one
Qualia vs. SA5000 review will be coming up in April

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 43
that's some disposable income there gsferrari.. more the qualias than the two other SA phones
smily_headphones1.gif

bangraman, why is it quite likely that they'll come out in europe before america?! you got some insider info on this? its just sony traditionally follow the rules 99% of other products from the far east, videogames for one.. that of states then europe.. ok there isn't any real localisation required on headphones (like in videogames, movies etc) but still..

Mar 8, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Sony Centres should get the SA1K and SA5K in soon. AFAIK, the SA3K will remain Japan-only. Expect prices to go down a bit for web shops and some high street. Keep an eye on askdirect as well... they're usually very competitive.

bangraman,

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for them. I might even ask at my local Sony Centre, but TBH I doubt they would have a clue what they are
frown.gif
. Any idea why the 3000's are going to be Japan only? My guess would be that they want to keep it simple, with an entry level and a high end one, with a large enough gap that more people will be inclined to go for the higher one with the higher quality...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
why is it quite likely that they'll come out in europe before america?! you got some insider info on this? its just sony traditionally follow the rules 99% of other products from the far east, videogames for one.. that of states then europe.. ok there isn't any real localisation required on headphones (like in videogames, movies etc) but still...

jimbobuk,

I have no idea why Europe would get these before the US - as you said, it's usually the other way round
frown.gif
. Still, I'd be inclined to trust bangraman on this...

[waits patiently...]

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferarri
SA1000 vs. SA5000 review will be coming up sometime next week
SA3000 vs. SA5000 review will be coming up after the first one
Qualia vs. SA5000 review will be coming up in April

Very cool gs
smily_headphones1.gif
. I know that a lot of people (including me) have been waiting for more info on how they compare across the range, so this will help even more. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

So, what is the story with these headphones?
Apparently, they have a huge frequency range, far beyond the capabilities of human ears.
What's the point?

Good point.. and for me with my ideas about these ultra high frequencies NOT being important (as no one seems to be able to hear the difference in blind conditions), it must say something that i've got a pair..

Well the whole ultra high frequency stuff is something that i'm going to leave for a good while.. the day i see some tests that seem to show it being audible (even tho they clearly aren't directly, ie. you couldn't say ahh thats the 80khz tone switched on now, and now its off again) then i'll look into it some more.. for now i see the whole SACD and DVD Audio as a format that the music labels are desperate to release to force a rebuying of old albums and offer some protection against direct ripping and then publishing online as is currently possible with CDs and lossy encodes like mp3, mpc etc.

Anyways i have no source above 48khz so aside from any noise my sources kick out above that my SA5000s will be outputing below that frequency.. the point is they are a new headphone with "some" amount of research put in to actualise this high frequency performance.. they look damn fine, and so far to me and others they sound damn fine in the audible frequencies.. the point is they seem to be pretty damn good headphones in most peoples opinion who've had the chance to hear them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveabrey
I noticed the part about special order too... I wonder how long they would take?

I really wish someone would order the SA1000's, as I'm dying to hear how they sound
smily_headphones1.gif

They sound bright but don't give me a headache. They're missing mids. I can't say anything else, as my soundcard died and i'm using the built in "soundmax" thing of my motherboard, which seems to have a built in effects thing. The result of which is "bassmax".

I really do think they sound good for the price however. Need someone with qualified ears to get them. I can't believe no one's bought them in nearly 3 months. I should have hyped them more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back