Sony MDR-R10 versus L3000, W5000, etc. (photo)
Jan 5, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #166 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the AD2000 and W5000, well now that's an interesting situation. They're quite different sonically, and I would not rate one of them as better than the other.

My sentiments exactly.

Quote:

They're colored in different ways. The W5000 has a deeper, harder bass but lacks speed in that region whereas the AD2000 has lots of speed. In terms of purely extension, I think I'd rate the AD2000 as the lower extender - however this is dependent on source, amp, and cables. The W5000 has a bass that sounds deeper because there's more emphasis at the bottom. There's an inverse relationship here as the AD2000 has more mid-bass than the W5000 which makes impacts sound harder and more visceral.

Very accurate description, I kinda failed to describe this in the detail you did, but I agree with everything you say. I think the AD2000 emphasizes more of the areas where the kick drums reside and thus achieves the extra punchyness whereas the W5000 (F5005) focuses more on the lower octave. This might lead to less percieved punchyness on the F5005, even though the very low notes are more easily heard. The AD2000 doesn't fail at all to reproduce those low notes, they just aren't that pronounced.

Quote:

As for the upper treble, I'd rate the AD2000 as the better extender there too. I think what you're hearing is its lack of treble emphasis, as some headphones do, like the K701. It's simply flat, whereas other headphones add something there, like the W5000.

I'm not so sure about this. I also find the treble on the AD2000 slightly recessed, even though this doesn't bother me much. My F5005 definitely has more treble energy, but fortunately less than the DT880 which I disliked pretty much because of its bright signature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are all great phones and are all HiF in terms of the sound sense. Each scales up with good amps. I was talking price wise more than anything with the term of mid-fi..
cool.gif

Fair enough
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #167 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one is for you guys!

Group.jpg

(It just occured to me that I could not express my sentiments about this picture properly without resorting to rather improper language. But you are my best friend ...
biggrin.gif
)

Just curious about those W5000: Are they complimentary to the Grado line? To the GS-1000?

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #168 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(It just occured to me that I could not express my sentiments about this picture properly without resorting to rather improper language. But you are my best friend ...
biggrin.gif
)

Just curious about those W5000: Are they complimentary to the Grado line? To the GS-1000?

man, just two things:

- where's the PS1??
biggrin.gif

- it should be illegal to hold such a collection! it should be mandatory by law to share with friends and so!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

keep up the great work keeping those beauties man!

Apr 18, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #169 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the W5000, as well as any other AT I've heard, are complementary with most Grados. I don't like the GS-1000 as much as other Grados, it seems have lost the Grado energy and excitement and moved too close to a K701-type sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man, just two things:

- where's the PS1??
biggrin.gif

- it should be illegal to hold such a collection! it should be mandatory by law to share with friends and so!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

PS-1 (with friends).
smily_headphones1.gif

ZanaDeux2.jpg

TeamGrado-1.jpg

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #171 of 196
Quote:

I think the W5000, as well as any other AT I've heard, are complementary with most Grados. I don't like the GS-1000 as much as other Grados, it seems have lost the Grado energy and excitement and moved too close to a K701-type sound.

PS-1 (with friends).
smily_headphones1.gif

ZanaDeux2.jpg

TeamGrado-1.jpg

oh my god... ... such a pain in the heart... ...
redface.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #172 of 196
Quote:

This one is for you guys!

Group.jpg

You know, I just saved that image of yours within a headphone specific folder in my Desktop PC... I titled it: "HoLy Sh1t by Elephas".

... I really have a hard time looking straight at my monitor right now, my eyes refuse to take it off but my mind knows it is extremely bad idea to do so...

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #173 of 196
that pic from elphas is crazy....

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #174 of 196
Where are your D5000s, Elephas? (OK, I know you'll soon show us a pic with 4 different versions ... )

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #175 of 196
I'm glad some people like the pics.

I don't have the D5000. I heard one once and didn't think it was very good. It was a brand-new unit and I only listened very briefly, though.

Since this is primarily an R10 vs. AT thread, here are a couple more pics for Akabeth.
biggrin.gif

TeamSony5.jpg

TeamAudio-Technica.jpg

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #177 of 196
you must have one of the top collections in all of head-fi. your profile is empty. i would love to see a complete list of everything in your collection.

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #178 of 196
Elephas... sir... you are one fortunate man
biggrin.gif

/saved
HoLy Sh1t 2
HoLy Sh1t 3

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I wonder if you've posted a pic of your setup in that thread at the member's lounge section? I intend to drool more
biggrin.gif

I don't think I'll ever achieve that sort of collection in short term but I hope to improve my setup this summer as a first step
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #180 of 196
Are those pictures mirrored??

I'm seeing two of almost everything!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back