Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Dec 2, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #363 of 1,173
Great phone but a ludicrous price for it, even if it is a piece of art. There are more technically proficient phones at much more reasonable prices. That being said, it's little brother the CD1000 was the first nice phone I owned back in the 90s (and truly enjoyed) though I almost went for the CD3000.

I almost bought a pair of NOS CD3000 when they showed up on Partstore.com for $500 a few years back but I backed out since I had just purchased the HD800. $2000 is a more realistic price for a pair of bass heavy NOS R10, imo. $8200 is strictly collector's territory. Perhaps if it was the best phone on the market I could see that as a reasonable amount but it's not.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #364 of 1,173
Im so excited guys! I just got my first r10! I just got ricently married. I move to japan when I was18 looking to make a living with
Music. Gotucky and I work as music composer I am 26 by the way. Any ways my wife's uncle was an executive in Sony in the 80s and 90s and has 4 r 10 since he was in the board that a prove the reaserch and manufactoring of them. And as a wedding gift gave me a never used pair!. 2 of them he uses the other one have never been open!
The other not open will go to his son. No my issue I have never had high first headphones. Just studio headphones. So what equipment and amps should I get. I know nothing of headphones amps and the world of high first. Please help thanks guys!

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #366 of 1,173
Quote:
Great phone but a ludicrous price for it, even if it is a piece of art. There are more technically proficient phones at much more reasonable prices. That being said, it's little brother the CD1000 was the first nice phone I owned back in the 90s (and truly enjoyed) though I almost went for the CD3000.

I almost bought a pair of NOS CD3000 when they showed up on Partstore.com for $500 a few years back but I backed out since I had just purchased the HD800. $2000 is a more realistic price for a pair of bass heavy NOS R10, imo. $8200 is strictly collector's territory. Perhaps if it was the best phone on the market I could see that as a reasonable amount but it's not.

It is still the best closed phones in the market by a good margin.  Yes, price is too high and I think $4000 is more reasonable.

Quote:
Im so excited guys! I just got my first r10! I just got ricently married. I move to japan when I was18 looking to make a living with
Music. Gotucky and I work as music composer I am 26 by the way. Any ways my wife's uncle was an executive in Sony in the 80s and 90s and has 4 r 10 since he was in the board that a prove the reaserch and manufactoring of them. And as a wedding gift gave me a never used pair!. 2 of them he uses the other one have never been open!
The other not open will go to his son. No my issue I have never had high first headphones. Just studio headphones. So what equipment and amps should I get. I know nothing of headphones amps and the world of high first. Please help thanks guys!

Congrats!!  I have two pair myself.  Speaking of an amplifier, I would heavily consider the Eddie Current Balancing Act for tube & Headamp GS-X for solidstate design.  Since you are located in Japan, why not search for the Sony TA-ER1?  That priceless pre-amp has a headphone out in the rear panel and it was specially designed for the R10 and is part of the "R" series, a "Renaissance" series.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #367 of 1,173
Oh thank you very much for your replay. And I shall look in to it :). I have yet to use them because  don't really know how to get started. Would I only need that amp? or would I need an other type of amp aswell?

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #368 of 1,173
Quote:
Oh thank you very much for your replay. And I shall look in to it :). I have yet to use them because  don't really know how to get started. Would I only need that amp? or would I need an other type of amp aswell?

You need a dedicate headphone amp.  But Sony did at one point used their "R" series Pre-amp, TA-ER1, with a dedicate headphone amp section to help with the design of the R10.  See the link below from Allegrosound:

http://www.allegrosound.com/Sony_TA-ER1_AllegroSound.html

Another link from Agoraquest:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35753&forum=51&start=0&select_page_number=1

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #370 of 1,173
Quote:

You need a dedicate headphone amp.  But Sony did at one point used their "R" series Pre-amp, TA-ER1, with a dedicate headphone amp section to help with the design of the R10.  See the link below from Allegrosound:

http://www.allegrosound.com/Sony_TA-ER1_AllegroSound.html

Thank you so much. So do all headphoe amps look like that? and do  you think I could find that one? or something similar?

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #371 of 1,173
Quote:
My budget? Well money is not an issue what so ever.

Personally, I would get the R10 reterminated with 4-pin XLR jack and buy either the Balancing Act or Headamp GSX and be done.  The Sony TA-ER1 maybe just too rare, but I would give it a shot since you live in Japan.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #372 of 1,173
Quote:

Personally, I would get the R10 reterminated with 4-pin XLR jack and buy either the Balancing Act or Headamp GSX and be done.  The Sony TA-ER1 maybe just too rare, but I would give it a shot since you live in Japan.

So are the R 10 the best headphone ever made? because I keep seeing in the forum that they are very expensive. And if not, then why are they so expensive other than the obvious amazing build quality!

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #374 of 1,173
Quote:
So are the R 10 the best headphone ever made? because I keep seeing in the forum that they are very expensive. And if not, then why are they so expensive other than the obvious amazing build quality!

They are one of the best and likely the best closed phones ever made.  The new Stax SR009 is technically better than them but I found the R10 to be more musical.  I get the best results with the R10 in a balanced drive configuration.
Quote:
P.s. I think I have the bass heavy. But I am not sure since I have not used them. How would I know if they are?

The bass light has very little bass impact but everything else on them is just superb.  If you have the bass light, you will know.  Search function is your friend.  Read up about the R10.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #375 of 1,173
Sweet. good to know. And yeah I am reading about them and I find it amazing a company would go through such lengths to make these headphones. By I read that the later models where bass heavy. but also that it was between serial numbers 300-800. so does that mean mine is not since is a serial number higher than that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back