Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Nov 5, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #1,051 of 1,173
I am on the fence about letting My r10s go as well as my Sony Q010 s Just not using them Been listening more to my 2 channel system.

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #1,052 of 1,173
I am on the fence about letting My r10s go as well as my Sony Q010 s Just not using them Been listening more to my 2 channel system.
A good two channel system is hard to beat and set up right, at least mine, is better than a lot of live music including non amplified small orchestral music. I had a friend who could not stand headphones and could never get use to them.

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,054 of 1,173
A good two channel system is hard to beat and set up right, at least mine, is better than a lot of live music including non amplified small orchestral music. I had a friend who could not stand headphones and could never get use to them.
Yeah, 2 channel is better. I got some relatively cheap active speakers and I’m loving them. Like they say, why listen to headphones if you have speakers, and why listen to iems if you have headphones? I’m starting to believe the hierarchy is real. I guess to be fair, headphones give you better detail and are much cheaper. But, if you have the room for a good pair of speakers, it’s the ideal choice. I just wish I had more room for them. I’m stuck with small, active speakers at my place. I’d love to have some floorstandings.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #1,055 of 1,173
I still like listening to headphones but my speaker system has got some upgrades lately & is getting all the attention lately.
If I decide to let go of the R!0s Or Quaila O10s I would like to keep shipping to Cont USA only.

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,056 of 1,173
I'd be interested in either the R10 or actually moreso the Qualia's (if it has the small headband).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,057 of 1,173
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #1,058 of 1,173
The Quaila has a small head band red ear pads I have the original box & stand I would want $6500.00 plus shipping & insurance Payment F&F or wire transfer
Sorry no paypal due to tax generating 1099
Tom
That’s a great deal!

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #1,059 of 1,173
The Quaila has a small head band red ear pads I have the original box & stand I would want $6500.00 plus shipping & insurance Payment F&F or wire transfer
Sorry no paypal due to tax generating 1099
Tom
Yes, not any protection with that form but the tax generating amount is a stickler and I don't blame you on that. And the charges from PP. It is all a bit frustrating. Zelle I use as well.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #1,060 of 1,173
Guys, I’m looking for R10 recabling options. I would like to make it flexible (Balanced/SE). Any recommendations?

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #1,061 of 1,173
Guys, I’m looking for R10 recabling options. I would like to make it flexible (Balanced/SE). Any recommendations?
A total cable replacement or just a retermination? I did a hardwire onto the driver on one of my R10 and refused to do it again. Way too risky IMO. If you want to reterminate the original cable, just use a 4.4 mm Furutech or OFC Pentaconn plug and build a pigtail cable using a 4.4 mm female to whatever termination you need. Most TOTL DAPs these days are capable of excellence sound quality. I use my R10 directly out of my Sony NW-WM1ZM2 and Ibasso DX320Max with really good result.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #1,062 of 1,173
A total cable replacement or just a retermination? I did a hardwire onto the driver on one of my R10 and refused to do it again. Way too risky IMO. If you want to reterminate the original cable, just use a 4.4 mm Furutech or OFC Pentaconn plug and build a pigtail cable using a 4.4 mm female to whatever termination you need. Most TOTL DAPs these days are capable of excellence sound quality. I use my R10 directly out of my Sony NW-WM1ZM2 and Ibasso DX320Max with really good result.
Thanks, I was thinking of a total replacement. Did you find any sound enhancement on only reterminating?

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #1,063 of 1,173
The stock 1/4” plug is already very good quality but a pure OFC 4.4 mm like the $100 Pentaconn should potentially enhance the sound quality. I wish upgrading the R10 cable can be done more safely and easily. You can easily damaged the driver in the process if not very careful thanks to the glue use to attach driver onto the wooden housing.

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #1,064 of 1,173
For the above reasons, and just for vintage purposes, you should also consider resale value hit. Stock for most vintage cans matters to a lot of people, 1) because it signals that people haven't tinkered with it, causing it more susceptibility to issues, and 2) ppl have a weird quirk about absolute stock condition lol. Just another thing to add, but if you're like me and going to keep the R10 until the perish, I don't think it much matters if you can find someone competent to do it I guess lol

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #1,065 of 1,173
If I decide to let go of the R!0s Or Quaila O10s I would like to keep shipping to Cont USA only.
I'm interested in collecting Qualia, I'm in the EU though, but we can cope with that! PM me if available.

You can easily damaged the driver in the process
I concur with that. I believe that most of the dead R10 died because of recabling.

On the other hand I can't see my unit dying anytime soon. Better don't touch this. It's already good as it is. I think it may still survive another 10-20 years in that state.

That's exactly what I did: just cut the cable in half to add a high quality Furutech 4.4mm TRRRS. It's a very safe modification.

The other half? Add a 4.4 female socket and you can always go to the 3m cable version. We also reterminated this into 4pin :)

Cables are as good or as bad as the material inside (and shielding, and geometry etc.). But also the shorter the cable -- to the lesser extent it affects the signal capacity (idk if my English is good enough to explain what I mean here). For example, I hear much more profound differences between 1.5m cables than between 5cm interconnects...

So, going from 3m to something like 1.5m we already help to maximize R10 performance without doing anything else. Then we do even more by going balanced, and note that banalced circuit nowadays tend to be much better than even 5y ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back