Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Sep 30, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #1,036 of 1,173
I think the bass of the R10 is very natural and doesn't leave you lacking at all, but it does feel lighter in nature than quite a few of the modern day headphones--even the ones that do it well. Mine were re-foamed by ESLabs, who I bought them from in a personal purchase. Heard another pristine pair a few months before, which is the only reason I tracked a pair down, and the bass was very similar (both bass light versions).

The ES-Labs replica is pretty similar as well for the most part. But again, I don't at all long for bass when listening to them.
I found the ES Labs R10 to have more intimate and slightly more upfront presentation with more impactful bass response. The original just sound more open with grander and deeper staging with greater sense of air and sweeter midrange.

Sep 30, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #1,037 of 1,173
I found the ES Labs R10 to have more intimate and slightly more upfront presentation with more impactful bass response. The original just sound more open with grander and deeper staging with greater sense of air and sweeter midrange.

Yea that's why I said "pretty similar" :), as like you, I know some enjoyed the bass a bit more, and with a few more modern genres. Overall, compared to other headphones known for really strong bass (subbass or* impact--TC, Soli P, Utopia, Caldera, L3000, etc.) they both are still relatively light in similar categories imo. I didn't find either drastically different in that regard, but again very good and enjoyable to me.

I thought the ES-Labs model was around 85% of what the original R10 had to offer, which is incredible and spectacular in it of itself, but the staging and midrange of the original made it no contest for me, while having both side by side for a while.

Still, I kicked myself for selling them because shortly after, it seemed as if word was that they may not be around for much longer? Although now it seems they're still for sale. Might grab a pair, would love to have in case anything ever happens to the R10.

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #1,038 of 1,173
Just wanted to inform the club that, at the request of several owners, I've developed a removable padmod for the majestic R10 - no need to glue the pads and swapping for different types is a lot of fun. Unfortunately crafting takes months at the moment, but if interested and there's no rush feel free to dm me.

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #1,039 of 1,173
Very cool and thanks

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #1,040 of 1,173
Just wanted to inform the club that, at the request of several owners, I've developed a removable padmod for the majestic R10 - no need to glue the pads and swapping for different types is a lot of fun. Unfortunately crafting takes months at the moment, but if interested and there's no rush feel free to dm me.
Can we see any photos of how it specifically works? I would like to know more

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,041 of 1,173
If anyone sells their R10 let me know :)

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,042 of 1,173
Sorry for the off-topic, do you know maybe some good pads for the CD3000?

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #1,043 of 1,173
You had me at dm, I will pm you to organize one.

If anyone sells their R10 let me know :)
Don't you still have one, 1 person don't need to own 2 R10 :)

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #1,044 of 1,173
I actually tried to pull it off a few times myself. At least to get an R10 backup, maybe a bass heavy version, maybe fresh pads.

But every R10 I got after my first and perfect one had a channel imbalance and was thus returned...

This has thought me that a "bass-heavy R10" is probably a myth. I had one on my hands and after cleaning the internal foams (that changed into gluey mass after all these years) it became a normal bass-light version.

I measured both of these "incarnations" and the difference was huge: "bass heavy" had flat bass getting as low as 20 Hz and recessed upper mids. And normal R10 is just diffuse field neutral with bass roll-off.

That's also why I think about lightly modding R10 by closing some of the ports near the driver with paper tape. It may balance the bass / upper mids ratio on R10. But that's just a hypothesis.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #1,045 of 1,173
You had me at dm, I will pm you to organize one.

No I had just one r10

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #1,046 of 1,173
Nov 3, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #1,047 of 1,173
I would like to know more
The idea is rather simple - the pad includes the plastic base that grips to the metal base of the headphones. The sealing gasket and detachable mesh are also a part of the construction. The hardest part was over a 50 iterations to achieve sufficient grip and at the same time relative detachability. I'll try to share some photos asap.
Sorry for the off-topic, do you know maybe some good pads for the CD3000?
Just posted in their thread)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-cd3000-thread.442419/page-30#post-17802964

Nov 4, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,048 of 1,173
I re foamed my R-10s a while back, as has been discussed, the foam deteriorates after some time into a gooey mass, the inner foam and the outer foam totally breaks down with time. The sound went back and forth from the great R10 sound to sometimes a bit heavy and not the open magic that is the R10. Why? So the other day I back out the 3 screws on each side 1/2 turn. It could be, I thought, too much pressure on the foam and it is decreasing the escape of pressure from sound waves, that the open cell foam allows for. That opened them right up, just that little bit of pressure. So fine tuning with the screws, like on the ES R10 works well.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #1,049 of 1,173
Yep, there is some uneventy here caused by two details - only 3 screws (4 or more would be much better) and the metal plates that are very thin, and (to be honest) have some curvature, different from exemplar to examplar. So the fine tuning is ok. One more evidence that each R10 is unique:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,050 of 1,173
Can you make earpads for the CD1700 as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back