Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Jul 29, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #167 of 1,173
[size=medium]Dear Colleagues,[/size]

[size=medium]I'm a happy R-10 owner for some time, but I only now discovered this thread.[/size]

[size=medium]Not that it matters, as I’m very satisfied with them, being fed from a Grace M902 amp. [/size][size=medium]But: Where or how can I find out whether my phones (nr 593, if I recall correctly) is the normal (?) or bass-heavy version ? Is there a “Listing” or did Sony simply change them after a given date ?[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for your reply or link to a suitable thread[/size]

[size=medium]Regards[/size]
[size=medium]Urs[/size]

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #168 of 1,173

Quote:
[size=medium]Dear Colleagues,[/size]

[size=medium]I'm a happy R-10 owner for some time, but I only now discovered this thread.[/size]

[size=medium]Not that it matters, as I’m very satisfied with them, being fed from a Grace M902 amp. [/size][size=medium]But: Where or how can I find out whether my phones (nr 593, if I recall correctly) is the normal (?) or bass-heavy version ? Is there a “Listing” or did Sony simply change them after a given date ?[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for your reply or link to a suitable thread[/size]

[size=medium]Regards[/size]
[size=medium]Urs[/size]

From the number it is normal (bass-light) :) 

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #169 of 1,173

Quote:

Ouch.  Now wouldn't you think that even a professionally recabled R10 would worth less to a collector, because it's "no longer stock." There is a trend in classic cars now that leaving really old antique cars in their naturally "aged" and untouched, unrestored state worth more than even perfectly restored examples?

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #171 of 1,173

Quote:
Yes.  Below 1000 is "bass-light."  Above 1000 is "bass-heavy."

There is no consistency below 1000, and the headphones could be EITHER. There is consistency above 1000 though. 

I have heard that below about 220 are all bass-light, and 222-1000 go either way. Dunno if its true. My set in the 350 range are bass heavy and sound identical to 2 sets in the 1000/1100 range.

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #172 of 1,173
Thanks guys !

does thiskind of  imply , that Sony didn't know what they were building ???
WHAT exactly  causes the difference ?

(Sorry if this was already coverred in other threads )

Urs

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #173 of 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by urs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

does thiskind of  imply , that Sony didn't know what they were building ???
WHAT exactly  causes the difference ?

No, sony knew EXACTLY what they were building. The best guess I have heard is that in the middle-range serial numbers Sony built the R10 based on what they anticipated the consumer in that location wanting. Regional tastes in music reproduction does vary greatly.

The difference in the headphones is caused by the drivers, which were made differently to achieve the different sounds.

After serial number 1000 the headphones were in the second batch, and my impression is that Sony (wisely) gave up on the target market sound thing. It really just caused confusion.

One of the Senn reps mentioned that Senn was considering doing this (modifiying the sound of the HD800 to suit the target market) in one of the "mod your HD800" threads but decided against it. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #174 of 1,173

Quote:
Ouch.  Now wouldn't you think that even a professionally recabled R10 would worth less to a collector, because it's "no longer stock." There is a trend in classic cars now that leaving really old antique cars in their naturally "aged" and untouched, unrestored state worth more than even perfectly restored examples?

MDR-R10 are not antique ...just a good sounding headphone with a very good design, and from time to time in some cases it needs to be restored. There are many headphones that are much older and not so good SQ-wise (these should be treated like antiquities) ..I don't think 10 years would make antique any item... Maybe I'm getting old 
regular_smile .gif

But if you are referring to the fact that these are rarities (limited edition)..I think in some degree you are right!

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #175 of 1,173
This bass-heavy bass-light discussion is eerily similar to the ones that go on about the K1000....

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #176 of 1,173
Well, the R10 #0084 has arrived today.  

Spent the past few hours inspecting it, taking a few photos and a quick listen vs. my HD800. Listened to some SACDs from Jacintha to test the bass levels.  This is not a bass-heavy can, by any means and not bass-light either.  When I've read the previous impressions describing the sweet midrange....spot on.  It's the most delicious midrange I've ever heard from a set of cans, period.  Very impressive soundstage, almost mesmerizing in its laid-back presentation.  And these cans are LIGHT.  Compared to a Denon D7K, probably half the weight or so.  Very comfortable to wear, although I haven't done so for extended periods of time yet.

Condition:  easily 9/10 on the Audiogon scale for the cans.  The Dutch gentleman who sold them to me was correct; these were hardly used at all.

The case is another story:  immaculate inside, so is the book (manual).  The cleaning kit is missing.  The outside of the case has seen better days, unfortunately.  Overall it's not too bad, but the outside emblem somehow been ripped off and lost, taking part of the leather cover and lining with it.  I'll call Sony tomorrow to ask if they somehow have another case lying around or at least a spare metallic emblem I can buy, but I'd say it's slim to none they have anything for these anymore.  

I have no idea yet on the Customs bill, I'm sure it's coming, but all in all, I believe that it was still sort of a bargain considering the going rate these days.  Here are the rest of the pictures in full-resolution:  MobileMe Gallery.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #178 of 1,173
Those are beautiful. Indeed. I know is a little bit early, but I'd like to read some impressions and comparisons against the d7k you have.

congrats

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #180 of 1,173
Thanks for the support, guys!  This has been a great, but stressful experience. 

@holaquetal  The D7Ks are being recabled by Craig@Whiplash Audio.  Heard a rumor that I may never get them back, apparently the recabling job ended up being better than expected   
darthsmile.gif
  That's Craig for you when he's playing with his new Reference X Series TWag cables.  

I should have a pair of Ultrasone Ed.8s at some point to compare to as well as Audio Technica W5000s.  I should be able to compare those.  But from memory, the D7Ks were a bit dark and bassy compared to this particular R10.  I have not yet heard the bassy series.  Part of why I asked Craig to recable them because I wanted to lighten them up a bit and add a bit of TWag-induced sparkle.

Not sure if this helps, but that's the best I can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back