Sony MDR-NC300D... 16mm Dynamic Driver + Smaster
Jun 18, 2009 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

knights

500+ Head-Fier
090617-sonyearbuds-01.jpg

Quote:

We know you haven't slept in the week since we first got wind of Sony's MDR-NC300D heaphones and while, sadly, there is (as of yet) still no domestic street date, we do have some more details and a fun little video to tide you over. Billed as the "world's first" digital noise canceling canal earphones (and we're inclined to agree) these guys boast 98.4% noise reduction, an integrated S-Master amplifier, 16mm diameter drivers for each bud, and three separate noise canceling modes. For those of you with a more technical bent, you'll be pleased to know that the 'phones sport a playback frequency of 6Hz ~ 24kHz, a sensitivity of 103dB/mW, and a 16Ω impedence. And it runs on AAA batteries -- meaning these aren't the iPod killers that we've seen in similar devices. This bad boy will hit the streets and shelves of Japan on June 21st for ¥30,975 (around $315).

The 16mm driver is interesting, larger than 13mm on my ex700... Hope theres an option to disable the Noise Cancelling function...

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm reminded of the 3 drivers > 2 > 1 debacle in BA land.

And what's with the "iPod killers"? These are IEM/headphones, not DAP, could you even
compare these besides P/P ratio or depreciation stats?
Maybe that's why I don't read ENGADGET.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 16mm driver is interesting, larger than 13mm on my ex700

If you got an EX700 w/ 13mm transducer then it is a fake, I am sure you just remember it wrongly
icon10.gif
(EX500/300 use 13.5mm transducer, like the old EX90/85 series)

EX700 and the new NC300 are the only two IEM in current Sony line-up that uses 16mm transducer. My guess is their transducer are the same, which means NC300 could possibly sound as good as EX700 if Sony's engineers do their job well.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 11
...and boy JUST LOOK AT THE FINISH!

Its almost a crime that it says SONY or anyting on them at ALL, i wonder if they could be polished by somebody to be "nude"... THAT would ROCK!!

It's truly a fantastic looking bit of kit!

and if these have same size drivers as the 700, then why why why don't these go down to _4_ Hz as well? Fooey.

Ah, well, its worth the sacrifice I suppose for the most glorious thing to behold other than a woodie. ie. a WOOD EARPHONE. uh huh huh huh. Juvenile remarks please withold them. *blush*

So, ANYWAY, where can these be ordered from Japan? are they released there yet?? Does anyone know if the noise canceling can be disabled?

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 11
I got them today from Japan!
Sorry to report Noise Cancelling cannot be disabled.I do not think there is as passthrougt function to enable music without having the unit powered.

This is a bit of a disappointment for me! otherwise noise cancelling is quite impressive on this unit.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Yo Joe, you've got a PM confirming that inability of using with power "off", but I agree, they are a teriffic set of IEM's, and certainly better than the NC22's, in which they succeed in doing, on both the NC (the 300D's 18dB compared t the NC22's 12dB) and the SQ as well.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Sep 22, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the PM.
I really like those earphones despite a few cons.
Movie mode is really nice too and works neatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back