sony mdr ma900 vs sony mdr 1r
Mar 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #31 of 62
Mar 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #32 of 62
Quote:
What's up with all these people getting them at these super low prices? Lol

size]
 I just explained it lol

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #33 of 62
You know, throughout this whole thread, ive seen tons of headphone talk and recommendations but no mdr1r/mdr ma900 comparisons. Id actually like to see one.

Just my thoughts.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #34 of 62
Quote:
You know, throughout this whole thread, ive seen tons of headphone talk and recommendations but no mdr1r/mdr ma900 comparisons. Id actually like to see one.

Just my thoughts.

The 900's are more open, more transparent, and more neutral.
The treble has more sparkle than the R1's.

The R1's have an excess of bass, but I think there are 
many who will find that attractive.  It's not an overwhelming
excess. For me it was too much.

The 900's are more comfortable; you can barely tell you're wearing them.
They're extremely light in weight.
The R1's are made better i.e. more substantially built.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Just my thoughts.

They're just a little strange to compare in the first place because you're talking open vs close. Apples and oranges.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #36 of 62
dear zazex

thank you for your comparison of the mdr-ma900 vs the mdr-r1 . your impressions have confirmed my choice of buying the mdr-ma900 . the least expensive online price that i have found is with sonic electronix :

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_48484_Sony-MDR-MA900-MDRMA900-Open-Air-Headphones.html?gclid=CJ2hzfWQhbYCFRA3nAodOEQAfw

sonic sells the ma900s for $199.99 including delivery ( at least to my zip code ) . amazon is about $27 more . has anyone seen the mdr-ma900s for a better delivered price than sonic's? please tell me if you have . thank you .

doggrell3000

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #37 of 62
They have some superficial resemblence in overall specral balance but are totally different in presentation, really the very opposites of each other-1R is much more direct sounding, emits much better weight and body to the notes and has a more focused imaging. MA900 is much lighter (in tonal weight) and spreads the soundscape to a perciveable wider area and further away, though not as far as say AKG K701. It has a more diffused sound than 1R. They both have a lower-mid emphasis but 1R's more forward and has a greater upper-mid dip, MA900 has more smoothness in it's midrange but has some bloom in the mid-bass that takes away some clarity in the trantition to the mids. Bass-wise i think the MA900 has a fuller, more even response but packs less punch and is a bit looser, 1R defintely has a tighter kick. They're both colored but MA900 has the  more accurate tone than 1R's, though i find the latter more dynamic, if somewhat darker.

At least that's how i hear it.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #38 of 62
MA900 is alot more reference sounding than r1. It's one of the best headphones for genres you mentioned, also the open back design is always a win against closed back for classical music, lightweight construction is also a plus, providing hours of fatigue-free listening.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #39 of 62
The more I think about it, the more I believe the MA900 and 1R should not be compared to each other at all. Just completely different cans for completely different purposes. It truly is apples to oranges.

There is a really great review where the MA900 was compared to the AD900X which is much much much more in line with a proper comparison. Check it out.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #40 of 62
I dont think people want to know which sounds better, just how they sound relative to each other. For example, these x have more bass than y. Thats where I am right now.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #41 of 62
I've already gave my impression about the bass difference- i.e MA900 has a fuller but looser response, 1R is a bit tighter and punchier. Overall I think MA900's has a more naturall bass but for the road and a beat-oreinted music 1R is more suitable. 

Btw, I take back what i said that MA900 has more distant presentation than 1R. It's more laid-back defintely, and the way it makes sounds float-in-da-aaaiirr (like the governator ised to say) can't be beaten for it's price (well maybe the AD900x if it goes even lower). But the 1R has such an immersive staging and can be as spacious in it's ability to render space, which iirc is more convincing than the MA900's beacuse of it;s more focused imaging . I rrally think it's has to be the most impressive 3D-quality sound/price ratio that i've heard in headphones, and i've heard some. 

But yeah i agree, bottom line is It's a pointless comparison. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:
dear zazex

thank you for your comparison of the mdr-ma900 vs the mdr-r1 . your impressions have confirmed my choice of buying the mdr-ma900 . the least expensive online price that i have found is with sonic electronix :

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_48484_Sony-MDR-MA900-MDRMA900-Open-Air-Headphones.html?gclid=CJ2hzfWQhbYCFRA3nAodOEQAfw

sonic sells the ma900s for $199.99 including delivery ( at least to my zip code ) . amazon is about $27 more . has anyone seen the mdr-ma900s for a better delivered price than sonic's? please tell me if you have . thank you .

doggrell3000

That's where I bought mine.

They delivered via Fedex,
authentic and brand new.

I've not seen a better price, but 
I've seen the same price on Amazon from time to time.

edit: clarification

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #44 of 62
thank you again zazex . i will order mine from sonic . i am pumped about getting some new phones . i cannot afford the super high end stuff . heck i can't really afford the $200 sony mdr-ma900 but i'll just eat crackers and cheese for a couple of months . the part of your ma900 review that appeals to me is the fact that they are light and comfortable . perhaps the ma900 is flimsy looking but that is probably why they are so light weight . headphones bug me real fast if they are heavy or too big . the sony mdr-ma900 seems to be made for people who want comfort as much as good sound . i will of course have to treat these phones with extra care . i normally baby my electronic equipment anyway .

doggrell3000
new york ny

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #45 of 62
dear headphile

i clicked on your link to compsourse but it has a price of $197 with free shipping . that is still a few dollars better than sonic but where did you get the $187 with free shipping quote ? should i call compsourse and inquire about a price of $187 with free shipping ? every penny that i can save buying the sony mdr-ma900 would be welcome . thanks .

doggrell3000
new york ny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back