sony mdr ma900 vs sony mdr 1r
Mar 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #16 of 62
Quote:
thanks for the feedback guys . no -- i do not necessarily need to go with the sony but i do not see anything else out there that can do any better at the $200 price point . please suggest another headphone if you have one in mind . i am now leaning toward the sony mdr ma900 . the acoustic grand piano is notoriously difficult to record and play back with any true accuracy . probably the best cans for a good piano recording would be the audeze lcd 3 . i don't happen to have $2000 dollars laying around but i can probably swing $195 for the sony mdr ma900 .

sony mdr ma900 :

fazioli f228 studio grand ( the finest instrument currently made in italy ) :

doggrell3000
new york ny

I own the 900's and really like them.  There are no headphones I like more at the $200 price point.
I owned and sold the MDR 1R's because they had too much bass for my taste.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #17 of 62
thank you zazex

that is exactly what i wanted to hear .... ( read ? ) . you have clinched the decision for me ...... i will order the sony mdr ma900 phones asap .

thank you disastermouse

your friend favorably compared the $200 ma900 to the $600 he-500 . this is encouraging news .

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

I own the 900's and really like them.  There are no headphones I like more at the $200 price point.
I owned and sold the MDR 1R's because they had too much bass for my taste.

Equalizer maybe?  Just ordered them.  I can cancel but I hear a lot of favoring reviews about these.  Not sure how they stack up to an open can.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 62
I generally don't favor EQing my music.

But that's not always been so, and if I were using EQ today I'd slightly
attenuate the lower frequencies on the MDR 1R - below the mid-bass.
But I'd leave the very bottom bass alone.

Rather than cancelling your purchase, if the seller accepts returns I'd suggest
buying what you decided to buy and returning them if you don't like them.

You may find they're well suited to you.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #20 of 62
I generally don't favor EQing my music.

But that's not always been so, and if I were using EQ today I'd slightly
attenuate the lower frequencies on the MDR 1R - below the mid-bass.
But I'd leave the very bottom bass alone.

Rather than cancelling your purchase, if the seller accepts returns I'd suggest
buying what you decided to buy and returning them if you don't like them.

You may find they're well suited to you.

Yeah they just shipped today and I'm pretty confident with these being one of the best portable cans at around the $300 price range; with it either beating or being equal to the likes of Senn MOMENTUM, M-100/80, UE6000, K550s, etc. I actually do like my bass to be slightly boosted (not xb700 boosted or DT770 boosted) , but a little more than some... Citiscape Uptowns. But I dislike greatly recessed mids.

We'll see!

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #21 of 62
Quote:
Yeah they just shipped today and I'm pretty confident with these being one of the best portable cans at around the $300 price range; with it either beating or being equal to the likes of Senn MOMENTUM, M-100/80, UE6000, K550s, etc. I actually do like my bass to be slightly boosted (not xb700 boosted or DT770 boosted) , but a little more than some... Citiscape Uptowns. But I dislike greatly recessed mids.

We'll see!

Yes, what everyone is saying about the 1R's signature being colored is true, but it's still a highly flexible can that is capable of much. It was a great purchase that I'm not regretting at all. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Yes, what everyone is saying about the 1R's signature being colored is true, but it's still a highly flexible can that is capable of much. It was a great purchase that I'm not regretting at all. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Ill be sure to post my thoughts.  I was just wondering if these sounded anything like a studio monitor like a Shure SRH840 or MDR 7506 or closer to a portable can like the m100s, ue6000s, uptowns, etc.  Can't wait until Friday!

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #23 of 62
Quote:
Ill be sure to post my thoughts.  I was just wondering if these sounded anything like a studio monitor like a Shure SRH840 or MDR 7506 or closer to a portable can like the m100s, ue6000s, uptowns, etc.  Can't wait until Friday!

I'm getting mine friday too! Only two days left now
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 62
as i mentioned earlier in this thread --- i will be buying the mdr-ma900 first . then when my wallet recovers from that hit , i will probably also buy the mdr-1r . according to people's reviews they each seem to have their strengths for different genres of music .

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:
Lol! How much did you get them for?  I got mine for $250 new.

£80 new from an ebay auction which is about $120 lol. It's because there have been tonnes flooding the site of people selling off the pair they got free with their new phone and as markets go, the more supplied, the lower the price. On amazon.co.uk there are loads of people who just registered to sell their pair too. I guess I was lucky to be considering them at the time that I was.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 62
i would love to hear the impressions of people who've gotten their hands on the mdr-1r & see how it compares to my experience. does kind like people's impressions are quite varied.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 62
£80 new from an ebay auction which is about $120 lol. It's because there have been tonnes flooding the site of people selling off the pair they got free with their new phone and as markets go, the more supplied, the lower the price. On amazon.co.uk there are loads of people who just registered to sell their pair too. I guess I was lucky to be considering them at the time that I was.

What's up with all these people getting them at these super low prices? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back