Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #436 of 2,677
  Hey everyone, after reading alot of positive impressions of the Sony Mdr-ma900, i have decided that these are going to be mine! :p
Also a little influenced by ''Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide'' as it seems to be exactly what i am looking for.

However as i was scouring webshops, i noticed something strange about how the Sony MDR-Ma900 is listed in the few webshops that have it in my country..   
They are listed specifically as this: Sony MDR-MA900 B-STOCK.

I havent noticed the mention of ''B-STOCK'' anywhere else....   does the imply anything??? Or is it safe for me to go ahead and order them??

This is my first post on these forums and i'm pretty new to all this so sorry if i'm asking a stupid question ^^;

Origin-88

this ll help
http://www.oaktreevintage.com/A_B_C_D_stock_retail_meaning.htm

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #438 of 2,677
Thanks alot for that info! It was kind of what i was assuming but its very nice to know precisely :).

B-Stock might have nothing wrong with it but still id rather have them completely new, guess ill have to search a bit longer and find some new ones.

Thanks again!

Origin-88

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #442 of 2,677
  Guys, I was just wondering what you guys thing the best dac/amp set up for these?  I just ordered a modi and magni (though it won't ship for a while).  Preferably a brighter amp.

I found the Magni did pretty well on them, but I found the Hifiman EF2A a noticeable step up from the magni in basically every way once the tubes burn in.

The improvements were quite noticeable imo.

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #443 of 2,677
  So only minimal improvements?

I have used an old Ibasso d10 and a Fiio E17 on them, and it does add a little bit...especially the Fiio with its individual tuning of bass and treble. But its not a huge upgrade over my macbook pro output or iphone output really.

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #444 of 2,677
Just a heads up -

Don't remove the resistor network, or else your MA900s won't work with the new Schiit Vali amp.

Of course, that may not be a problem for you if you never want to use that amp (or other higher output impedance amp).

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #447 of 2,677
  Just a heads up -

Don't remove the resistor network, or else your MA900s won't work with the new Schiit Vali amp.

Of course, that may not be a problem for you if you never want to use that amp (or other higher output impedance amp).

Yeah, I was about to but... I can't really remember why i didn't but I didn't.
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #449 of 2,677
  Just a heads up -

Why didn't they include this as like an adapter or something instead of in the cup. Could have been pretty useful. Hrm... gives me an idea.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #450 of 2,677
The ma900 is not bright.... Its warm and smooth overall with a very linear curve. Very. Most of its sound starts at 50hz, and from there is a gentle slope downwards, being mostly a straight line. I didnt even have to see the goldenear curve to see how linear it was. The graph just confirmed what I heard.

The treble only manages to match the midrange in a few areas, never more. It's overall on the softer side, like an HD650.

Unless you have a bright setup, neutral to warm chains will keep the ma900 on the warm/smooth side.

Otherwise, it doesn't need amping much. Its more a tonality preference, not an amping requirement.

I like it off the E17 more than my Compass 2, because my compass 2 was very, very neutral (Sabre dac). The e17 was warmer and not as fast, which I liked more. Also preferred it over the E12 which is also not as warm, and faster.

All comes down to what kind of tone you want, but the MA900 is warm to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back