Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #226 of 2,677
" system of "fit" 
Are you referring to the way the pads are made,& that are kind of detached??

Mike

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #227 of 2,677
Just the whole fit process that these use Mike. The pads, headband, huge cups and very lightweight. They all work together to be the comfort something better than I realized was possible. 

Of course, comfort with always be relative to the user. What is the ultimate in comfort for me may only be top four for you. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #229 of 2,677
  We will have to agree to agree to disagree on this one. 
atsmile.gif

While the ma900 does not "scale" with better amps, it does show some good legs with a better source. It sounds tremendous through the uberfrost with some hi res material. The sound stage just explodes and is completely off the map. 

I would suggest that one exception is the iCAN amp. Anyone who thinks the MA900 is light in the bass should give it a try with the bass boost on the iCAN. There are two levels of boost and the higher one delivers as much bass on the Sony's as anyone could want. And the bass remains clean and tight even on the higher setting, and does not bleed into or mess up the mids.

There is also a 3D soundstage enhancement that surprisingly works well with the MA900 on a lot of music even though they already have such a spacious sound. Here is a post on my iCAN review thread where I speak about the iCAN and the MA900: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail/225#post_9716439

Overall, I would say the MA900s benefit tremendously from the iCAN amp. I am enjoying the combination a lot. Of course it is not really a portable amp and normally uses AC power, but I did find a battery pack that allows me to carry the whole setup out onto the patio or into another room. Makes it a transportable rig even if it is not super portable, and the battery actually improves the sound further. Here are pics with the battery: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail/195#post_9630513

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #230 of 2,677
I definitely don't find it bass light. Maybe some sub bass roll off, typical in open cans, but the mid bass has pretty good impact if the song calls for bass.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #231 of 2,677
I definitely don't find it bass light. Maybe some sub bass roll off, typical in open cans, but the mid bass has pretty good impact if the song calls for bass.

The lower setting on the iCAN just fills in the very low frequencies, so if you like the level of the bass, but want some more sub-bass, then that might be the setting for you.

I have found that with time, I use the higher setting most of the time. Maybe the bass with the iCAN boost is just so clean that I am becoming a basshead :) 

Also, the other headphones I listen to a lot are the ESW9s and those are very warm, lush headphones (with them I only use the lower setting as they also roll off in the sub bass but do not need any help higher up). So the Sony's sound a bit dry to me just in comparison to the ATs. Adding the higher level bass boost that extends into higher bass frequencies than the low setting also brings back the warmth and fullness of sound I get and really like with the ESW9s.

It is also nice that adjusting the effect only requires a quick flick of the switch, so I can adjust on the fly based on my mood and the particular recording. I am listening right now with the bass boost on full and it reminds me of the bass on the LCD2s that I had for a few weeks before I had the iCAN, and would have kept except that I can't wear headphones that heavy.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #232 of 2,677
  That's certainly a tough call. I think in many ways the FA-011 got a bit of hype, and wasn't a headphone deserving all hype. My pair was really bright on top, and the bass distorted quite easily. I never compared these headphones side by side, but definitely owned both for a good chunk of time.

To compare the two from memory I'd say

MA900
-sounds more open, and has a better instrument placement
-definitely more midrange
-hint of grain in the midrange
- Less bass hit
- rolled off treble
- probably 4th most comfortable headphone I've owned

FA-011
- More colored
- Lots of distortion in the low end
- A lot more bass impact
- lower hitting bass
- brighter treble that wasn't very controlled
- Found the earcups were too shallow and rubbed my ears constantly

Thanks for the comparo to the FA-011.

If you think it is a hard decision, then I would probably be dissapointed in the extra cost right now.  I will continue my other search for a GREAT closed can.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #233 of 2,677

That's certainly a tough call. I think in many ways the FA-011 got a bit of hype, and wasn't a headphone deserving all hype. My pair was really bright on top, and the bass distorted quite easily. I never compared these headphones side by side, but definitely owned both for a good chunk of time.

To compare the two from memory I'd say

MA900
-sounds more open, and has a better instrument placement
-definitely more midrange
-hint of grain in the midrange
- Less bass hit
- rolled off treble
- probably 4th most comfortable headphone I've owned

FA-011
- More colored
- Lots of distortion in the low end
- A lot more bass impact
- lower hitting bass
- brighter treble that wasn't very controlled
- Found the earcups were too shallow and rubbed my ears constantly

Thanks for the comparo to the FA-011.

If you think it is a hard decision, then I would probably be dissapointed in the extra cost right now.  I will continue my other search for a GREAT closed can.

Not necessarily a hard decision, just that they are pretty different sounding headphones, and it's hard to say "yes, you'll love these" when the FA-011 sound so different. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #234 of 2,677
I went back to my hd650 today after several days with the ma900. It's funny how my perception changed about 650's. First thing I noticed is that the 650 seems to clamp like a vice compared to the ma900. Secondly, the sound stage on the 650 seems very small compared to the ma900. 

I'm sure I'll forget in a few days and that the differences will fade in time. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #235 of 2,677

It's Mike! 

Our paths cross again....Where have you been?

Hey El,,
I've been here...a little busy at work however.
Also,made some major changes to my setup,nearing end-game-I think?

Will PM you-OK?

Mike

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #236 of 2,677

Hey El,,
I've been here...a little busy at work however.
Also,made some major changes to my setup,nearing end-game-I think?

Will PM you-OK?

Mike

Hah! You said that when you got the HE-6 and the emotiva! "Think this is end game for me guys".

We all said "Great! Hope you love that set-up". We were all the wiser though. No one finds a true end game. 
tongue.gif

No need to PM, just nice to see you abouts again 
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #237 of 2,677

Hah! You said that when you got the HE-6 and the emotiva! "Think this is end game for me guys".

We all said "Great! Hope you love that set-up". We were all the wiser though. No one finds a true end game. 
tongue.gif

No need to PM, just nice to see you abouts again 
biggrin.gif

LOL_your right.....as I am opening up a link to a Stax setup Sprintzrer has  for sale

If your going to the meet in November in Queens..?--I have plenty of car trunk space & room for 3 more people ,if needed

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #238 of 2,677

LOL_your right.....as I am opening up a link to a Stax setup Sprintzrer has  for sale

If your going to the meet in November in Queens..?--I have plenty of car trunk space & room for 3 more people ,if needed

Haha! It's alright. I wish I could sit on a pedestal and look down and judge you. I know I'm a terrible offender of the same thing. Although, it's gotten a lot better once I got some nicer speakers. 

In Queens ?! Psssh sure!  Come pick me up? Are you gonna go to the next LA meet?

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #239 of 2,677

Haha! It's alright. I wish I could sit on a pedestal and look down and judge you. I know I'm a terrible offender of the same thing. Although, it's gotten a lot better once I got some nicer speakers. 

In Queens ?! Psssh sure!  Come pick me up? Are you gonna go to the next LA meet?

WE are hijacking this thread....sorry guys
La meet,sure..you buy the gas!!

Send me a PM

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #240 of 2,677

WE are hijacking this thread....sorry guys
La meet,sure..you buy the gas!!

Send me a PM

Nah we can talk out here. This thread has as much action as the Sony R10 owners club!

Ba-dum-pshhh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back