Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #37 of 2,677
Been using these for a week now, very impressed. These are like crack for the ears - the soundstage, imaging and layering are out of this world - gobsmacking. Detail retrieval is very impressive too, being on par with my SRH940 and the overall sound is slightly warm, laid back and very enjoyable.

I find the mids a bit veiled and slightly grainy and the highs could have been more involving but the above makes it up, for me. Definitely the best out of my IEMs/headphones. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #42 of 2,677
Hey guys
I'm still debating (trying to justify) purchasing these headphones since my friend lent them to me. My issue is, Does anyone else here own both the MA900 and HD650 at the same time given their sound signatures, are just about the same (minus some bass).

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #45 of 2,677
Quote:
I sold my hd600 after getting the ma900 , it's simply a better pair of headphones. These are probably the most underestimated pair of headphones on head fi.

Quote:
Hey guys
I'm still debating (trying to justify) purchasing these headphones since my friend lent them to me. My issue is, Does anyone else here own both the MA900 and HD650 at the same time given their sound signatures, are just about the same (minus some bass).

astroid can you elaborate bit more?, in what regard you found HD600 lesser headphone? now I have HD598 and I prefer MA900 for classical music, while HD598 has more convincing soundstage. I prefer MA900 because it reproduces larger symphony orchestra tonality  as more life like experience. 

I think Sony's soundstage is a bit tricky, vocals and generally upper midrange are very close to your ears. Sometimes it makes music more engaging but not always. For example listening opera is fine, but while listening to brass instruments (rare but still) I have found unpleasant closeness of instruments to my ears. It is like to take 2.0 laptop speakers and place in front of you ears. In that regard I prefer Senn HD598. I am guessing HD600 is somewhat refined HD598 more bass less treble and more natural presentation.

Anyway we would like to hear you comparison. I am gonna buy HD600 if I find nice deal. current price 399$ is just blatant rip-off. 

cheers           

Users who are viewing this thread

Back