Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,801 of 2,677

THANK YOU! I am glad I'm not the only person who struggles with this. It took me 15 minutes to put these beyer pads on the 900's. Not because its hard, because I suck at holding the pads in place. 

I say avoid putting the original pad back. Maybe Sony doesn't account on people swapping pads when designing their headphone, or at least the MA line. Yeah it took me around 10 to 15 minutes too. I dread the day the earpads becomes unusable. All the more reason i'm definitely buying a second pair of these. Maybe next year...

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #1,803 of 2,677

I bet that really messed up the sound.

I only listened to the 900's maybe 4 hours before I changed the pads. At some point the headphones are going to completely change. New grill, cable and a proper tuning.  

edit: The one thing I did notice about my 900's is how much amping it needs. Easily 150-200 ohms of power is needed. I know ohms isn't a measurement of power, rather resistance but when talking about headphones it seems to be an easy measurement to use. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,807 of 2,677
Beyers are 3x thicker then stock pads and a little wider. The comfort is night and day, the beyers feel like pillows once you break them in. 

The beyers add a little extra to the mids, which really isn't needed but they do and soundstage becomes a little wider.  I'm going to change the grill and tune them a little to bring some of the bass back and lessen the mids ever so slightly. 

As you can see beyer pads have holes in them. If I were to cover them up or get a pad without those holes the mids would lessen a little and raise the bass. I'm just a huge fan of the comfort and would rather mod the grill/cups then the pads. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,808 of 2,677

They're going to go out of circulation someday.... i'm considering getting a second pair. at $140, this is just a steal.
Though now it's at $180 on the website i bought them from http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=002014000070&search=sony+mdr-ma900&sort=brandname

Does the shop send them directly to you or do you use a forwarding service?

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,810 of 2,677

edit: The one thing I did notice about my 900's is how much amping it needs. Easily 150-200 ohms of power is needed. I know ohms isn't a measurement of power, rather resistance but when talking about headphones it seems to be an easy measurement to use. 

Really?

I have the 900's, 650's and the 601's and the 900's are the easiest to push.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,811 of 2,677
I'm using the MA900 straight out of my Macbook Air right now and am perfectly happy with how they sound. I'm personally not hearing much more improvements when I plug it into my Burson Soloist SL instead, so I don't bother most of the time.

Using these more than my SR-009 recently actually 
eek.gif
due to just how hassle free and comfy they are.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,813 of 2,677
  Can someone recommend a similar sealed headphone in terms of low clamp and weight. I just bought a MA900 and really like the comfort and sound of these.

Creative Aurvana Live!. Clamps little and is relatively light. They're not truly sealed though as it's vented... so not if you're looking for a lot of isolation.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,815 of 2,677
I don't have the newer Soundtrue over ear, but I do have their previous generation headphone AE2. They are truly one of the most comfortable headphones ever and is light as a feather, but critical listening, I find that they fall short in the sound quality department. I use them as at home general purpose headphones whenever I need closed headphones (computer use with youtube, movies etc), and they're quite good for that. I'm not sure how much the newer soundtrue differs in sound quality department but it'd have to be improved significantly in many areas if I would consider it for serious music listening sessions...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back