Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #1,276 of 2,677
  which one is better for watching movies, grado sr80 or sony ma900?

im in between buying the 2. if anybody have any input, it'll be greatly appreciated :D

For movies I'd take the MA900s any day.

Mainly due to the much better soundstage; although in general I also think they're just a much better and more balanced set of cans.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,277 of 2,677

Mainly due to the much better soundstage; although in general I also think they're just a much better and more balanced set of cans.

one more question, how much difference will it make in films with conversations and no explosions...?

i'd imagine the soundstage will be good for explosions and modern action movies, generally speaking, does soundstage matters in drama documentary comedy movies...? (anything with decent or low budget and not superhero action movies...)

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,278 of 2,677

one more question, how much difference will it make in films with conversations and no explosions...?

i'd imagine the soundstage will be good for explosions and modern action movies, generally speaking, does soundstage matters in drama documentary comedy movies...? (anything with decent or low budget and not superhero action movies...)

Personally I quite like hearing where things are in the soundstage, so as long as the audio has been done reasonably well I think it makes a pretty big difference for any sort of shows or movies.

Whether it's worth it to you isn't something I can answer, though.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,279 of 2,677
which one is better for watching movies, grado sr80 or sony ma900?

im in between buying the 2. if anybody have any input, it'll be greatly appreciated :D

I like watching movies with headphones and I have sr60 (not exactly sr80) and ma900, if that helps.
Definitely i prefer ma900 for movies due to better detail in vocal weight. Sr60 may give you impression of clearer vocal but gets you fatigue quite fast.
Sometimes i missed sr60 for movies, but i will normally use it for 20 mins then i switch back to either ma900, hd800 or sony sa3000.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #1,281 of 2,677
I really like MA 900 for movies, they are just superb cans for ..... everything. Its bass, and soundstage really shines for movies. You can also go loud  without fatigue.

+ for pairing with E17.

Overall, quite immersive and impressive especially considering that its an open can.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,284 of 2,677
MA900 is great for movies but really only shines if you pair it with like an astro mixamp or some other decent surround sound processor at least in my opinion.

+1

I pair my MA900 for movies with Mixamp (Pro or core mod, surrounding on) + jds C5 amp and it's Brutality awesome.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #1,285 of 2,677
Most impressive Sony pair I've seen in years. Just can't praise the comfort, the unique look and the soundstage enough. 

Oh and for movies, I don't think low and midrange Grados are good choices. To many people they are extremely uncomfortable. MA900s are good for almost anything, it gives more fun when watching movie - in comparison to HD598, another comfortable pair as well.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,286 of 2,677
  Most impressive Sony pair I've seen in years. Just can't praise the comfort, the unique look and the soundstage enough. 

Oh and for movies, I don't think low and midrange Grados are good choices. To many people they are extremely uncomfortable. MA900s are good for almost anything, it gives more fun when watching movie - in comparison to HD598, another comfortable pair as well.

local sony center told me that they don't have it anymore. how sad. oh well :frowning2:

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,287 of 2,677
Maybe my ears are bad because I never get this feeling when listening to em. I listen to em through a Fiio E17 and they do sound very good, they just never confuse me for speakers or make me think the sound is coming from infront of me.

I think it wont be 100% like speaker bur compared to other like sr60, it's surely much more speaker like.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #1,288 of 2,677
i have the ma900 for about a month now, and i'm having some problems with "cracking sounds" , more like some snaps in the left ear cup, i think it's the cable, does anyone knows what it can be? It's really annoying sometimes :frowning2:

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,289 of 2,677
Sounds bad. Did you buy it 2nd handed and has the warranty run out? In case it hasn't then I think the solution is pretty obvious (send it to sony). Otherwise I'm not sure about Sony's service policy after warranty has expired. Grado will repair anything for $44 (my 325), Sennheiser would still service HD580, even if it's a dead driver. Not sure about Sony though, maybe someone here will know more about that.
  i have the ma900 for about a month now, and i'm having some problems with "cracking sounds" , more like some snaps in the left ear cup, i think it's the cable, does anyone knows what it can be? It's really annoying sometimes :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back