Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,008 of 2,677
The low/medium gain options are ONLY bottlenecking the output of the amp. It's NOT changing the impedance of the soundcard itself. It's misleading. Leave it on exciter mode/the strongest setting, unless you feel the volume jumps decibels too strongly with every volume adjustment.

I don't mess with the voice options as I don't voice chat on PC, so I don't know what to set those at, as it's useless for me.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,009 of 2,677
The low/medium gain options are ONLY bottlenecking the output of the amp. It's NOT changing the impedance of the soundcard itself. It's misleading. Leave it on exciter mode/the strongest setting, unless you feel the volume jumps decibels too strongly with every volume adjustment.

I don't mess with the voice options as I don't voice chat on PC, so I don't know what to set those at, as it's useless for me.

What gain would you suggest is best on the Fiio E17? I normally leave it on 0 but I keep volume around 40% to 50% with no gain.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,010 of 2,677
My E17, I leave on 6 Gain... it just feels like a good balance between power and volume. Low seems to insensitive, and high jumps up too much for my MA900.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,011 of 2,677
I really don't get this. Is the Japanese model so much worse than the US one? Why is mine distorted and why does it seem like I am the only one with this problem? It is so weird though since both drivers distort at the same level making me think it is normal and not a defective pair What :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,012 of 2,677
I have the Japanese version and it doesn't seem to be distorting to me but I am new to open back headphones and mid-fi headphones in general. I could actually use more bass then what the headphones offer but I am a basshead. One thing I notice is the bass has like power to it. I don't know how to explain it, it's not a huge bass quantity by any means in my opinion but it seems like the bass has force to it that I havn't noticed in closed back headphones before. Kind of like it's vibrating through my ear. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,013 of 2,677
Anyone here open to lending headphone for a week or two impression?  I'll lend my MDR 7550 in exchange.

I've yet to hear open-style headphones in my life and so far I'm hearing good reviews about this headphone.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,014 of 2,677
Anyone know who to contact for replacements/repair/etc? Sony at facebook just gave me the runaround and sent me to the sony home page. They didnt give me any specific email address or anything. Epic fail for sony. I really regret ever buying these cans unless someone from sony steps up like the way sennheiser does business.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,016 of 2,677
I'm in the market for a sub-$200 headphone, and am currently focused on the 558 (i'd like to spend under $150). I hear a lot of people mention these, but can't find many comparison threads. I listen mostly to electronic like justice and kavinsky and daft punk (NOT bass heavy dubstep or skrillex or house), but it's pretty much general usage, all around, media. Comfort is extremely important though, I use for 8+ hours at a time. 

Although I heard one person say the MA900 has your ear contact the driver pad? I really want to avoid that, my 681 evos are very comfy but i get a bit fatigued after 3-4+ hours because of my ear touching the driver pad a bit. Makes them kinda sore feeling.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,017 of 2,677
If you really want to avoid your ear contacting the driver then you might not want the MA900. Your ear probably will contact it. If you can live with that though, the headphones are extremely comfortable otherwise, much more so then most headphones and is perfect for long listening sessions. They are good for moving and gaming as others have said. They are not basshead headphones but there is some decent punch to the bass.

Oh also I wanted to say I don't think your ears would get sore in the MA900. The headphone has very light clamping force so although your ear touches the driver, it doesn't press or squeeze your ears at all.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #1,019 of 2,677
Just got a pair. Is it just me or does the fit feel like a grado? 
GOLD BAG!!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,020 of 2,677
I dont know gow some of you complain avout the drivers touching your ears...i have mesium size ears, so im good, no touching..they are very light as well. I guess if you have large ears, they may touch the drivers.

Other than that, man these headphones are awesome. I cant decide which headphone i like most since i also bought the X1s......i guess ima keep both lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back