Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #766 of 2,677
Also just to say.. 

I think a whole day spent with a headphone is enough time to evaluate it. It may not be enough time for it to grow on you... And I certainly don't dislike it!  It's just it was not above average for me (so unfortunately 2 stars it had to be, because 3 stars would have been above average) Also, I'm not a gamer or watch films. I'm a music lover. 20 years of listening and collecting classical music (my dads fault). I'm also admittedly becoming more of an audiophile snob hahah.. But this comes with the hobby I'm afraid. And owning a headphone such as the HD800's for the best part of a year is bound to have an impact on how you judge SQ no matter how much you try to be objective in regards to price performance etc with other cans. So in that respect I may very well have been unfair to the Sony's subconsciously.

I also bought the K701's (3rd time) at the same time as the MA900's and for me it was no contest. But as always its down to taste in sq. Music preference is also a very important factor. Amps, sources etc goes without saying in regards to how a headphone will perform as well. The Necosoundlabs amp I used with the MA900 is a fabulous amp with nothing but stellar reviews. I have upgraded opamps that make it even smoother than what it is stock and it is a very neutral sounding SS amp. Its as good as any Schiit amps I've heard. So I don't believe my amp had any part in them not being winners with me. 

So I'll just sit here on one side of the tree with my K701's on, while you guys sit on the other side with your MA900's. We all love a nice big soundstage! Only you guys love your more forward mids and like my extension and less forward sound. Happy days!!    

In the end it all comes down to preference and we respect your opinion, even though we don't fully agree with it. Enjoy your K701's :)

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #767 of 2,677
  I dont think few negative impressions changes anything for me on MA900 ..and not even worth repeating their negative impressions here...  I'm also a classical fan and I prefer ma900 over 880,598 and most of the AKG lineup including 701..  but I dont bash the other headphones that I dont like on their appreciation threads... if you dont like, move on ... thanks..

I had moved on... Only you's kept discussing it and my name kept getting mentioned so I politely replied to the relevant posts. People who buy headphones go to their relevant threads to hopefully gain more information on them. Good and bad, I've always been happy to read the negatives as well as the positives as you can build a better picture that way. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted the link to my review in the first place. 

You might not post negatives about headphones on appreciation threads but lots of head-fier's do, as most of the time there is nowhere to do this that is still active. You've read the hype, you've heard the headphones, you then want to have your say. It's what its all about! It would be very boring if all we ever did was praise our fave headphones without any input from others with different tastes and opinions.

I'm moving :)

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #768 of 2,677
as far as I remember I posted some negatives about this headphone too, I didn't mean that you can't post negative impressions on a impression thread,that's just silly...anyway I respect your personal preference, if you enjoy 701s sound signature, then that's just great .. I personally don't like 701,880.... but I don't call them below average, just because I don't like them.. according to my hearing they all are same tier headphones with different sound signatures..  if you think ma900 is a below average headphone, then Jude, me, and many more here must have below average hearing... 

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #769 of 2,677
Originally Posted by LugBug1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:
  ^^ You really don't want him to plug into one of those vintage amps. That is unless he likes to see smoke coming from the drivers. 
eek.gif
  ...seriously. 

I did try them with my Nad integrate as this has a low mute button. Just to see how well the impedance compensator worked. To be fair the sound character didn't change much, only darker because of the sig of the amp. But the volume level went right down. This means they weren't getting fed enough current and I would be close to frying them If I turned them right up! 

I'm not sure where this myth comes from.

Turn the volume knob of your Pioneer down to zero.  Plug them into the headphone jack.   Turn the volume knob up slowly.

Everyone should do this 100% of the time anyway.

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #771 of 2,677
I'm still a day away from a more comprehensive review, but I will say that the new Schiit Vali tube hybrid amp ($119) works just fine with the MA-900 (if you order one, be sure to read the whole page, including the part about microphonics).  Very nice bass response and generally a fun sound.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #774 of 2,677
  Are there any online retailers that I can purchase these from for <$200? These were around $160 several months ago and its ridiculous that the priced increased 1.5x since then.

It's called "December".
wink.gif

Having said that, probably Beach Audio is the lowest priced established seller.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #775 of 2,677
  Please post a link once the review is up kstuart.

see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/1485#post_10030487

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #776 of 2,677
Just got mine in the mail today, and I have to say I love them. Far better sound then I expected (not sure why as they have so many positive reviews).

As someone with mostly closed back experience, I have to say I really enjoy the fact that I can listen to them for hours, take them off, and not feel like I just listened to headphones for hours.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #777 of 2,677
  I am beginning to think that the real reason that Sennheiser headphones are so beloved is their grasp of ergonomics, rather than superiority of their drivers (although those are very good as well).  All of the non-Sennheiser headphones that I have owned have had hugely varying response by moving them slightly on my head.  The MA-900 is no exception - I can get the bass and the soundstage to vary hugely by moving them up or down or frontward or backward by even a little.   The Alpha Dog headphones come with a sheet of recommendations by Dan, and he says to allow the headphones to be lower than you would otherwise think, and I can confirm that helps the sound quality.  Those headphones can be good or great depending on how they fit.  The Shure SRH-1840 were even more sensitive to fit, and the massive stiff yoke is not designed to fit a lot of heads well.

In contrast, you grab a pair of Sennheisers, put them on, and they naturally are in the right spot.  People talk about their comfort, but the same aspect of their design helps them to have the same sound for everyone who tries them.

Absolutely Yes !!!

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #778 of 2,677
Anyone think it would be stupid going from hd 600's to these?  I got my hd 600's for $300 and will get the ma900's for ~$200.  I really enjoy the 600's, but I don't find them as comfortable as many have said.  Also my creative z can't power them well enough, as they sounded far better on a schiit magni I tested.  Another needed purchase just further diminishes the value of the them.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #779 of 2,677
  Anyone think it would be stupid going from hd 600's to these?  I got my hd 600's for $300 and will get the ma900's for ~$200.  I really enjoy the 600's, but I don't find them as comfortable as many have said.  Also my creative z can't power them well enough, as they sounded far better on a schiit magni I tested.  Another needed purchase just further diminishes the value of the them.

Sounds like you answered your own question :)

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #780 of 2,677
Hi, When use with iPod Classic can you notice any improvement with a LOD to an amp (like E17), or is not really necessary?

My favorite music is Jpop and Happy listened to Female vocal all-days, I can't decide between AD900x and MA900, but I guessed I shall buy

this cuz' is very much cheaper in my locale even cheaper than buy directly from Japan (around 122$ ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back