Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)
Jun 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #571 of 772
Quote:
Okay, is it just me, or do these headphones sound better reversed? The soundstage is considerably widened when I wear them in reverse.

Someone with a MA900 please try it and tell me I'm not crazy.

You are crazy.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #572 of 772
Quote:
Anyone who has a pair of these -

where are they made?

(I'm assuming it's Thailand, since Sony has been making many if not most
of their better headphones there for several years.)

Yeah, they're from Thailand too like Z1000

Anyway, for MA900's owner, have you ever tried to change position to wear this headphones? Like Colgatetotal wrote, when he reversed it, the soundstage will change drastically (believe it or not some of my friends also like it better when using reverse). I think how you wear MA900 will really affect the soundstage image, for example if you use them like a neckband, or reverse it, etc, the soundstage image will keeps change and change unlike any conventional headphones.

I think all angled driver headphones have this similiarity though.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #573 of 772
Yes. In reverse mode, the MA900 is much more sensitive to placement. By shifting the cups back, treble is more clear. This is currently my preferred mode of wearing: reverse and back. This comes at a cost of some bass impact, but I don't care -- the soundstage increase is more than worth this tradeoff.

In regular mode, the opposite happens. By shifting the cups forward, treble clarity increases. But there's a problem. Your ears will hit the rear of the cup, making it uncomfortable. Regular and back will provide the most bass presence but the least soundstage.

I'll have a full review of this comparing it to other headphones in the same price range soon, but I still think my pair is burning in.

The issue with swbf2cheater's review is that he went into it totally expecting a bassy headphone after reading hifiguy's claims that this was the "most bass he ever heard on an open headphone". I'm going to disagree; my vented Grado 225i has more midbass than the MA900, and it's a freakin' Grado. The PS500 and GS1000i definitely out-midbass the MA900 by a significant amount. This is a bass-light headphone despite 70mm drivers and whatever Sony tries to pass off as bass technology. But it has enough that it's not bass-anemic; it has more than a stock Grado 225i, and it it slightly louder than the Grados in the 25-40hz range.

This headphone's sound signature reminds me of an in-betweener of a Sennheiser and a Grado. Trebleheads will like this better than bassheads.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #574 of 772
Quote:
The issue with swbf2cheater's review is that he went into it totally expecting a bassy headphone after reading hifiguy's claims that this was the "most bass he ever heard on an open headphone". I'm going to disagree; my vented Grado 225i has more midbass than the MA900, and it's a freakin' Grado. The PS500 and GS1000i definitely out-midbass the MA900 by a significant amount. This is a bass-light headphone despite 70mm drivers and whatever Sony tries to pass off as bass technology. But it has enough that it's not bass-anemic; it has more than a stock Grado 225i, and it it slightly louder than the Grados in the 25-40hz range.

This headphone's sound signature reminds me of an in-betweener of a Sennheiser and a Grado. Trebleheads will like this better than bassheads.

No I didn't. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #577 of 772
Quote:
You're comparing it to a DX1000 and a Fidelio L1, both of which are bass-heavy. By the way, the Fidelio L1 has its haters too, now that it's out of FOTM status.

You bash me quite a bit here on the Forums.  Can anyone tell me what is wrong with comparing a headphone that was said to have amazing bass with one that actually does?  Are you the guy who made 12 Youtube accounts recently and disliked my Beta quality test video 12x over?   I sent you a private message that you still have yet to reply to, it seems you only want to bash me in public but do not want to be civilized in speaking 1-1 so I can better explain why I spoke about what I did.  You've clearly not read this entire topic, if you had you would have known the F1 and the HD650 comparison requests were common.  So, I spoke about it and you bashed me for it.  The L1 is an excellent headphone, even Tyll enjoyed it.  Its a nice, warm fun sound with great clarity and build quality.  Colgate, you worry me, especially after saying the angled MA900 sounds more spacious backwards, which would revert the spacious sound to something more closed and congested...which is exactly what it does.  Also, I appreciate you not putting words into my mouth in the future or editing your posts to make it seems like I said something I did not.  I was aware of the MA900s qualities weeks before hifiguy posted his video.

Why are you so out to get me, bro?  Did I offend you in the past or something?  lol.  Clearly, you are just upset with me if you can blatantly make up some fiction

Originally Posted by colgatetotal 

The issue with swbf2cheater's review is that he went into it totally expecting a bassy headphone after reading hifiguy's claims that this was the "most bass he ever heard on an open headphone". 

Pure Fiction.  

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #578 of 772
LOL really? Someone disagrees with your review and you think it's an attack on your character. Stop trying to think I'm bashing you, because I'm not.

My quip is that the review is comparing a fully-open "home listening" headphone (as advertised by Sony) against a TOTL closed headphone and a semi-open headphone designed for portable use. This is like comparing a Honda Civic to a tow truck. The HD650 comparison is better but the MA900 isn't trying to compete against it because the MA900 is $150 less and likely won't scale as well with high-end equipment due to its impedance adapting circuit or whatever Sony calls it. I'm going to ask one of my friends for their K701 or HD598 because that's really the type of headphone this MA900 needs to go up against.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #579 of 772
LOL really? Someone disagrees with your review and you think it's an attack on your character. Stop trying to think I'm bashing you, because I'm not.

My quip is that the review is comparing a fully-open "home listening" headphone (as advertised by Sony) against a TOTL closed headphone and a semi-open headphone designed for portable use. This is like comparing a Honda Civic to a tow truck. The HD650 comparison is better but the MA900 isn't trying to compete against it because the MA900 is $150 less and likely won't scale as well with high-end equipment due to its impedance adapting circuit or whatever Sony calls it. I'm going to ask one of my friends for their K701 or HD598 because that's really the type of headphone this MA900 needs to go up against.

Ignoring that you're getting way too personal about this and coming across like a child who's had their toys stepped on, such comparisons are perfectly viable, neigh appreciated. And don't even bother with the K701 - that's not fair under your unrealistic criteria either. :wink: (It's marketed as a reference/audiophile headphone and has an SRP of over $500; go ahead, argue with the rest of the world some more).

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #581 of 772
He compared it against other cans that retailed for the same-- sounds reasonable to me.

That's pretty fair imho. If I was a random consumer going to grab something on Amazon and my budget was right around $300, those three (and a few others) would certainly make a short-list pretty quickly. The DX1000 maybe not, but I like seeing comparisons between "higher end" equipment and things that normal people buy simply because, if I were that consumer, I'd be curious as to what another $800 would get me. Is it worth four times the price? I think it was mathis that said it a few years ago: of course any headphone can be compared, regardless of price.

The car analogy, as car analogies usually do, fails miserably to address the situation.

Just my .02.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #582 of 772
Quote:
if I were that consumer, I'd be curious as to what another $800 would get me.

I'd like to know which magical consumer would consider a MA900 alongside a heavy, closed headphone that must be imported from Japan. May as well compare every headphone to the 009s, then. Well, that happened in Gu Sensei's review already, though he did us all a favor and said it was "no contest" instead of waxing long paragraphs about how it's superior.

Also, I'm not the one who wrote a wall of text via PM (which I ignored).

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #583 of 772
I'd like to know which magical consumer would consider a MA900 alongside a heavy, closed headphone that must be imported from Japan. May as well compare every headphone to the 009s, then. Well, that happened in Gu Sensei's review already, though he did us all a favor and said it was "no contest" instead of waxing long paragraphs about how it's superior.

Also, I'm not the one who wrote a wall of text via PM (which I ignored).

Buddy, you'll get a lot more flies with honey...

I'm really not sure what you're out to accomplish here to begin with though.

Anyways, let's say I'm that magical consumer. And there's plenty of threads and discussions I've been in over the years where people come away wondering what the extra money gets them. Don't lie to us just to keep arguing with the Sun for shining - I'm sure you've asked yourself that question as well. Is the DX1000 the best option for that comparison? Maybe not, but it's what he's got (and from his other posts, I'm pretty sure it's his reference at this point too) - give him a break. It's pretty easy to get loud and make a lot of racket from the audience, and it's equally easy to kick a man when he's down; I've yet to see you do anything but. The way you're carrying on you'd swear he just plowed your sister and kicked your dog. Sheesh. Really, what are you after here? You like the MA900 and are mad that he doesn't? Or you think he should've ripped on them to prove that he's not a "paid reviewer" or what?

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #585 of 772
Hey, he wanted feedback so he got it. If I had known he'd be so butthurt I'd have kept quiet. Live and learn.

Are you going to go into every review in every thread and chastise everyone else for not meeting your exacting standards? :blink:

Can't we all just, get along?

In other news - have you gotten your set yet? Care to post impressions? :veryevil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back