Sony MDR-M1ST - Sony's 2019 Studio Monitor Headphone
Jun 29, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 207
Interesting. I didn't realize that Sony Music Solutions is a small, music studio-based subsidiary of Sony itself.
And the MDR-M1ST is only the third product (the MDR-CD900ST and MDR-EX800ST are the other two) that has been developed by them.
Pretty cool. :nerd:
Probably more like a subsidiary that put out the products, but not really designed by them. There was somebody responsible for MDR-EX series iems, and last I heard is, he's working on Sony's custom in-ear monitors.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #18 of 207
OP has been updated with new 'real world' pics of the MDR-M1ST and new hyperlinks have been added.

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #19 of 207
Anybody work in a studio and know what kind of headphone features are sought after for studio usage?

What I notice with studio monitors that seems to be common is being closed-back. Is being easy to drive a desired requirement? What kind of equipment are usually being plugged into? How about in terms of frequency response? Should a monitor have a particular type of frequency response?

I do notice vocalists using them, and also instrumentalists as well. Who uses them the most? I'm sure the mastering engineer is using speaker monitors for mastering.

Based on all this info, can we even say studio monitors would appeal to audiophiles? I think studio monitors serves a different purpose compared to headphones designed purely for sound quality for audiophiles.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #20 of 207
Anybody work in a studio and know what kind of headphone features are sought after for studio usage?

What I notice with studio monitors that seems to be common is being closed-back. Is being easy to drive a desired requirement? What kind of equipment are usually being plugged into? How about in terms of frequency response? Should a monitor have a particular type of frequency response?

I do notice vocalists using them, and also instrumentalists as well. Who uses them the most? I'm sure the mastering engineer is using speaker monitors for mastering.

Based on all this info, can we even say studio monitors would appeal to audiophiles? I think studio monitors serves a different purpose compared to headphones designed purely for sound quality for audiophiles.
You are correct that studio monitor headphones are used primarily by the recording artists to monitor their overall level in the mix, and the mixing and mastering of the recording is almost exclusively done on large studio monitor speakers.
But in the translated press release, Sony seems to be emphasizing that a lot of attention was paid to the MDR-M1ST's sound quality, and the MDR-EX800ST is considered by many to sound very good and also to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck IEMs on the market.
So I'm really curious to see how the M1ST turns out! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #22 of 207
E-Earphone posted a preview by two of their staff member who got to demo the MDR-m1ST early and compare it to MDR-CD900ST. Both of them thought it was a bit darker sounding than the CD900ST with the subbass in particular being considerably more present. They also both said the imaging and soundstage was much better as well as a sense of depth that the original was lacking.

One of them felt it was less fatiguing than the CD900ST and one raved about the comfort and high build quality. One of them said he thought the mids and highs sounded fairly similar but slightly cleaner/sharper on MDR-M1St with the bass considerably improved.

Certainly promising early impressions as I think the main complaints with the CD900ST were poor extension and overly fatiguing sound, so sounds like MDR-M1ST may improve upon those issues.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #24 of 207
I asked sony and they said it is not released yet and it will be japan only.
None of the Sony ST series have been available outside of Japan officially, which is a shame.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #26 of 207
E-Earphone posted a preview by two of their staff member who got to demo the MDR-m1ST early and compare it to MDR-CD900ST. Both of them thought it was a bit darker sounding than the CD900ST with the subbass in particular being considerably more present. They also both said the imaging and soundstage was much better as well as a sense of depth that the original was lacking.

One of them felt it was less fatiguing than the CD900ST and one raved about the comfort and high build quality. One of them said he thought the mids and highs sounded fairly similar but slightly cleaner/sharper on MDR-M1St with the bass considerably improved.

Certainly promising early impressions as I think the main complaints with the CD900ST were poor extension and overly fatiguing sound, so sounds like MDR-M1ST may improve upon those issues.
Link to the preview: https://e-earphone.blog/?p=1317890

It got some excellent close up shots on, the build quality looks spot on and a step up from the MDR-1R series.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #27 of 207
Jul 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #28 of 207
Anyone has an idea where to import them once they are out? I was a long time customer with pricejapan but they are out of business. PayPal or bank transfer are prefered, dont have a credit card.

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #29 of 207

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #30 of 207
Anyone has an idea where to import them once they are out? I was a long time customer with pricejapan but they are out of business. PayPal or bank transfer are prefered, dont have a credit card.

If Amazon Japan carries them that will be a great option as they offer direct international shipping for some items and their prices are usually the best or close to the best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back