Sony MDR EX310 Appreciation Thread - The forgotten IEM
Mar 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
I was in a local Sony store (Chinook Center in Calgary) and they had the Sony EX310 on sale for $40 so I finally bit on this IEM for use at the gym so i don't accidentally wreck my expensive IEM's.

The salesman actually sounded reasonably knowledgeable and he suggested the half price on the EX310 made it a steal of a deal and suggested it was better sounding than the XBA2 and almost as good as the XBA3. So I decided $40 was a reasonable gamble.

Out of the box I was surprised by the nice quality of the carrying case and then the usual great selection of tips. Initially i was nonplused when I found it was a j-cord but do find it is less microphonic than my XBA3 cord and it drags on my neck less.

Slipping the IEM in I found them to be extremely comfortable.

The first couple of songs were a bit muddy but then the IEM started to loosen up and improve. Considering I had just been listening to the ultra clear airy UE900 prior to these, I was surprised that I found them enjoyable as quickly as I did. But NO they don't beat the $400 UE900 LOL :wink:. Having said that, they are a brighter sounding signature with a looser stronger bass presence with slightly more recessed mids. I expect the bass may tighten up with some use (I will burn them in for a couple days and report back).

Sonically they remind me alot of the MDR-7550 but with a bit less detail and size. But at 1/6 the price on sale and 1/4 the price at regular retail they are a heck of a bargain. The one thing they have on the EX1000/600/MDR7550 is slightly better isolation and less wind noise out doors.

These are not for the bass head crowd though as they are not as good in the sub-bass or as strong as other bass oriented IEM's. But if you want a mostly balanced sound these are very good.

Not sure if all Sony Canada stores have these on sale at $40 or not but if they do these are worth their retail price in my opinion, making them an excellent bargain at $40.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 9
After using these a bit more, I have to amend part of my comments. This IEM does suffer from wind shear noise outside and while it does not suffer from footstep sounds it does pick up rubbing noise from clothing which is not great considering the j-cord design.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
After using these a bit more, I have to amend part of my comments. This IEM does suffer from wind shear noise outside and while it does not suffer from footstep sounds it does pick up rubbing noise from clothing which is not great considering the j-cord design.

Is the Sony MDR-EX310 the same as the EX310SL? I hope it does because we share the same description of its sound signature. 

I just bought mine on sale here for 45% off. from Php3.5k to Php1.9k. Its a very good bargain considering how expensive the sony hybrid tips are. Btw you get 2 pairs of tips with these!

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 9
Oh btw the tips supplied are the hybrid tips and another set of tips sony calls "noise isolation" tips... though I think its the sony hybrid tips with foam inside.

I just got 4 hours of burn-in starting from the time I bought it and these sounds so enveloping to me. I love how these just sits here comfortably in my ears unlike the straight-barreled IEMs I have which I sometimes have to refit when I commute.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 9
I expected that burn-in settle the bass but WHAT THE HELL!!!! It didn't change anything!!!! The bass is too loose and muddy. When I amplify the bass, it sounded worse. The volume now is reducing.

Wasted my P1750 ($40)!!!

EX300 was better than EX310.

I missed my EX300. It sounded very fun.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 9
Is the Sony MDR-EX310 the same as the EX310SL? I hope it does because we share the same description of its sound signature. 

I just bought mine on sale here for 45% off. from Php3.5k to Php1.9k. Its a very good bargain considering how expensive the sony hybrid tips are. Btw you get 2 pairs of tips with these!

Saang presyo yan?

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm curious, is the MDR EX310 vented? Looking at pictures, the EX510 looks like it has vents but the EX310 looks like it does not have vents.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Thats all wrong by the way. I've owned 5 pairs of these (MDR-EX310) earbuds and i also use the 7550's. Fantastic bass even for dubstep or drum'n'bass. Nice clear highs, even better than the 310's. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back