Sony MDR-EX300 earbuds
Aug 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

blueae1405

New Head-Fier
I was wondering about this but how do you guys think the sound of the Sony MDR-EX300 sound like? Are they really good for $80? Do they sound close to the MDR-EX700 earbuds? I would also like feedback on these earbuds.

Thank You

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 19
Was the main goal of the MDR-EX300 and the MDR-EX500 was to make both sound close to the MDR-EX700?

Also if the MDR-EX300 and the MDR-EX500 sound almost the same then why is there a price difference on the two? Like the MDR-EX300 is $80 and the MDR-EX500 is $130. I thought since the price was different that the MDR-EX500 sounded alot better than the MDR-EX300.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 19
they are similar, from what i have read about the 300 they share the same characteristics as the 500. both are warm and bassy no where did i say they were almost the same

btw where are you getting those prices, on amazon us the ex300 is us$50 and the ex500 is us$80

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 19
When the sound between two products is described as "similar," it usually means that there are common traits between the two, such as bass response, detailing, soundstage, or treble extension (see Mark's post above). In the case of the EX300 and 500, they can be said to have a similar sound signature, but naturally the more expensive EX500 should be overall more detailed and more pleasant sounding, according to those who have heard both (which I have not). Whether those differences are worth the extra dough is entirely up to the listener, as that's where things tend to get a bit subjective.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 19
I found these Sony earbuds prices from SonyStyle.com they have the MDR-EX300 for $79.99 and the MDR-EX500 for $129.99 and the MDR-EX700 for $299.99. They might be the retail price apparently and it seems I can get them cheaper at Amazon.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 19
Are there people in here that owns the MDR-EX300 earbuds? I would like to know what people think about these. I don't see much reviews for these earbuds. I would like to know what you think on how they sound to you etc.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 19
I had these. The sound is decent, but really it is irrelevant because the cables are so *%%#@ awful. My first pair's cable broke within a week, I returned and got a second pair and the same thing happened. There are better sounding iems at the price with FAR superior cables.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcswoosh05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there isnt anyone in here that owns these earbuds? The MDR-EX300? If there is please let me know what you guys think about the sound.Thanks

I've had them and now I've given them to my kids. You can do much better for the money. If you want to spend $80, get the Klipsch S4.

That whole Sony series looks cooler than they sound.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 19
x3 on the cables
The J cable can be a pain in the ass, and the wire is thin. One difference between the EX300 and EX500 is that the EX500 comes with a nice leather carrying case. Since the wire is so thin, I always store the cable in the case when not in use.
As for the SQ, it really depends on your preference. The bass and soundstage are definitely among the strong points of the EX500, and as Mark2410 mentioned, it is a warmer sounding IEM

Aug 19, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 19
I dont like the EX300. Compaired to the EX90/85 its substandard. Its not a bad earphone and prob is better than most. It just does not have the punch the modded EX90s have. Also EX300s dont sit in your ears and fall out all the time... this means lots of boom and fall outs during running.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 19
save some money get some er6is instead or something in the sub 200 range. Im listening to the ex300's right now. they are fairly comfortable, the cable is terrible. I didn't have the breaking issues but it tangles like no other.

As for sound qual. bassy , definitely very warm bass. it's fairly tight but nowhere near an etymotic or higher end shure.

The overwhelming bass kinda drowns out the rest unfortunately. Overall good phones for 80$, i don't have a lot of experience looking around at that price range. But I can guarantee you'd be much happier SQ wise with some 150$ Etymotic er6i's.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 19
Am new to the club. I dont consider myself an audiophile but i can share my thoughts. Bought my Sony ex300 2 weeks ago after 2 weeks of exhaustive research with the internet. I settled for the Sony since my budget was $80. Am using them on my 3rd Gen Ipod Nano with Apple Lossless tracks and 320 kb MP3's. Definitely better sounding compared to my stock iPod earphones. Aside from my stock iPod phones, I also used them with the Bose in-ear phone but I think it's useless comparing the Ex300 with the Bose since the latter were not In-ear phones in the real sense of the word. Noise isolation is totally absent. The Bose were 30% more expensive that the Ex300 but the Sony anyhow definitely sounded better because of the noise isolation. Anyway, here are my thoughts regarding the Sony MDR-Ex300:

Design/Quality - i would consider average quality; the cords were somewhat flimsy and thin, rubbery and easily entangles

Comfort - in a scale of 0-5, 5 being most comfortable, i would consider it as a 2 or at the most 3. My ears seem to ache after even 15 mins of continuos use and had to remove them for a while to let my ears breath

Sound quality - bass - quite substantial and i would call it robust (can't compare it with other higher end phones since haven't tried any of them); if you like bass then you'll surely appreciate the ex300; Mid-range - fair; havent heard any distortion from the vocals that i heard although I mostly listen to New Age and electronic music; Upper Range - poor-fair; I think it just lacks the clarity; In summary, I would agree to the other comments that the sound signature is warm.

Am I satisfied with these phones? Yes am satisfied for the price but I would still like to try the other higher end in-ear phones if I had the money.

Hope my comments are well put for a first timer

QUOTE=lcswoosh05;5940293]Are there people in here that owns the MDR-EX300 earbuds? I would like to know what people think about these. I don't see much reviews for these earbuds. I would like to know what you think on how they sound to you etc.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back