Sony MDR-EX1000 or Earsonics SM3
Sep 3, 2011 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sludig

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I´m reading about Sony MDR-EX1000 and SM3, wich are some of the best earphones at this moment.
If you have tried both of them, I want to ask what do you think about this: Sony MDR-EX1000 or Earsonics SM3?

Also, if you have tried the Sony MDR-EX600, do you think that they are better than SM3?

I tried the Earsonics some time ago and I´m waiting to do with the Sony´s, so I hope tell you what is my opinion soon!

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 5
I tried the ex1000 before and I own the SM3:
These are my impressions:
Ex1000: more treble, airier sound, bass wise rather lite, but tight
Sm3: darker sounding, lovely mids (especially the vocals) and tight bass and great soundstage (adjust the tips deep for greater bass impact, they rival ie8 for bass quality, no kidding)

As I currently own the sm3, I can say that they sounded the most natural to my ears.
Even over my Custom Merlins.
Listening to piano pieces on the sm3 is a real treat... I have a piano at home, and I can say they reproduce every piano note realistically. Flutes on sm3 sounds great too.

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 5
The Sony EX1000 need burn in(Dome type dynamic drivers) to sound it best and it reveals lots of hidden details in music with wide soundstage and great bass response.  On EX1000 the extention between all frequencies are amazing with great imaging, instrument separation and placement(overall it's dynamic). The SM3 is very detailed in mids but highs are not extended as on EX1000 and bass is deep n punchy with wide soundstage(overall very balanced IEMs like EX1000).

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 5
It's really a matter of preference my friend. I went back and forth between both the EX1000 and SM3 for weeks time, no exaggeration. In the end, I came to find that my preference really came down to my mood, as they're both truly exceptional in-ears. However, I voted for the EX1000 because, in the end, I prefer the EX1000's airy 'out of head' presentation by only a hair or two, over the SM3's engrossing, intimate, and seldom mesmerizing signature. I also find the EX1000 to be ever so slightly more of an all-rounder,  since the SM3's warm (and I mean WARM) signature bears a rather strong love/hate relationship. Needless to say, choose your weapon between either one my friend, and in either case, you'd put up one hell of a fight. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back