Sony MDR-E888 earbud mod
Oct 18, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #46 of 74
thanks heaps for the thread
smily_headphones1.gif

they sound awesome
basshead.gif

takes a bit of patience but its all worth it :p

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #47 of 74
I did this and they sounded good until I turned on MegaBass. Then after like 10 hours I can't stand to listen to them with BegaBass on because one of the drivers ripped. Luckily I found another pair for like $40 shipped (Almost New.) Oh I have the LPs

Dec 13, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #48 of 74
I just did the mod yesterday
it sounds much more transparent, 3d, and detailed but never harsh. The bass has more oomph as well. This should be how the e888 sounds! I also didn't put back the foamies. I notice that the foam actually fit better in ur ears but it muddied some of the detail as well as add the oomph to mid bass which destroy the pretty flat and detailed nature of the phone.
The only thing worrying me would be if some particles get into the drivers which are now exposed. I might try with a thinner foam, maybe that would do the trick.. hm
but I think it still sounds best 'bare'
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #49 of 74
Got a ripped driver. Guess I'm shopping for new headphones now, but still have my MX500 to listen here at work.

Dec 22, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #50 of 74
i wanted to do it but i am afraid of doing it... ahahaa!
will give it a try later on... since it's my secondary earphones now the sony 888...

thanks alot for the tips guys...

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #51 of 74
Gave this a go the other day, but couldnn't get the grill off.

Gave it another go just now and managed to do it.

let's just say, I am a believer of this mod!
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #52 of 74
here's a better pic of the finished mod. i added a circle of thin t-shirt cloth the the inside of the e888 foamies. it cuts a little of the treble sharpness and protects the driver better from dust and hair.
e888mod8mg.jpg

the reason sony put the filters on the e888 is perhaps they underestimated the the earbuds' sound quality and the quality of future portables and amps.

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf
Got a ripped driver. Guess I'm shopping for new headphones now, but still have my MX500 to listen here at work.

Well, I ended up buying the Koss Portapro after giving up on trying to find the KSC75 in Lisbon. Importing wouldn't be worth the trouble considering the overall cost.

I guess the Portapro are too geekish looking to wear at work, but I have them on now. Sonically, they are very pleasant. I'm not missing the E888, but it was a shame I killed them.

Remind me not to search keywords like "portapro mod".
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #54 of 74
Hello I am currently looking for some nice all around headphones and am looking at the Sennheiser px100 and of course the Mdr-e888. I was almost ready to purchase the px100s, but after reading this forum I am having some difficulty making a final decision. I understand that someone previously mentioned that the modded e888 sounds better then the px100 but was hoping to hear more opinions. Also how do unmodded e888s compare to the px100??
I guess what I am really trying to ask is: is there a noticeable improvement in the sound quality of the modded e888 to warrent me to spend a little extra to purchase the e888 over the px100? Thank you..

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #55 of 74
This might not be a good idea.

Know why? This is how I f---ed up my E888SP.
With the diaphragms exposed like that, many things can get in if you're not careful and cause a tear.

EVEN THE SMALLEST HOLE will decrease volume and destroy great sound.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #56 of 74
Well that leads to another question... Are there any durability issues with e888s when they are modded?? It seems that when you take off the foamies on the px100s it has a similar appearance with the drivers exposed, so I would think that this would not be too much of problem for the modded e888s. Here is a review on the px100s that shows the exposed drivers: http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/PC-Sp...eiser-PX100/4/

Any help would be greatful thanks...

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #57 of 74
that's why i added the layer of fabric (see pic), to help keep grit out. the foamies should also add extra protection.

i'm not sure what you guys are using to do this mod. it can be done with just your fingers. if you are poking around with a blade or needle the chances of a torn driver are increased.

Jan 14, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #58 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeloYelo
Are there any durability issues with e888s when they are modded??

In my experience, yes. I modded mine and they were good for a few months. Then on a plane ride, wile I had Bass Enhancment on, one of the drivers started to go. They sound fine with the enhancement off but with it on I can hear a bad driver.

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #59 of 74
Parden my ignorance as I do not have an extensive knowledge in headphones but I would think that regardless of whether or not you had modded your earphones that you would have experienced the same problem when you turned on the enhanced bass. The driver stays the same and all that you are removing is the cover and the filter of the phones. So in your case I would think it would be the sound input that damaged your phones not the modification itself. Please tell me if I am wrong or if I am not making any sense.. ^^..
Also as I asked before I would be ever so greatful if someone could give me a comparison between the Sennheiser px100 vs the e888s, modded and unmodded. Thank you..

Jan 15, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #60 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeloYelo
I would think that regardless of whether or not you had modded your earphones that you would have experienced the same problem when you turned on the enhanced bass. Please tell me if I am wrong or if I am not making any sense.. ^^..
Also as I asked before I would be ever so greatful if someone could give me a comparison between the Sennheiser px100 vs the e888s, modded and unmodded. Thank you..

To start off I can't compare the px100s for you so maybe someone else can help you there. I've had a total of 3 sets of E888LPs The first when after playing Quake for too long at loud volumes with some enhancement on from my computer. Before that I used them on my ancient Sony MD player and often had it at max volume and often with MegaBass level 2 on. I did this for about 4-5 months until Quake blew them out. I had my next set for 6-7 months before I modded them. They lasted maybe a month and I think that was due to light listening untill a plane trip. I'm now on my third set and I plan to keep them unmodded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back