Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Aug 11, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #182 of 346

Depends on frame of reference. I could see either way, to be honest. Their general sound leans a little more toward the upper-mid and treble side, so that could make them seem bright and analytical to some. They don't sizzle, though, and they don't sparkle and that would lead people to feel they sound warm.

So what you're saying is that I have to buy them...sigh -_-   jk, I am really curious to see how they sound though. Kicking myself for not managing to get Vap's pair, lacking the funds then. Whats the best place to get them at a decent price?

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #183 of 346
I have one modded w comfortable and soft protein leather pads from Japan. They are called Yaxi ear pads. Headphone in new condition bought in May 2016. Just wanted to put it out there to gauge interest if anybody is looking for a pair.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #188 of 346
  What would be an ideal upgrade after the CD900ST that retains its best qualities?

I'm still trying to chase that down. I'll let you know if I ever find one!

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #190 of 346

I'm still trying to chase that down. I'll let you know if I ever find one!

Oh yes please do. I see you have the T5P, how's that working out for you, over the CD900STs of course.
  I would say the non-flow version of the Ether C would be the CD900ST taken to the extreme. I haven't heard the CD900ST in a long while.

Ah, why the non-flow and not the flow though? I figured the upgrade would be...well, an upgrade.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #191 of 346
Ah, why the non-flow and not the flow though? I figured the upgrade would be...well, an upgrade.

it is true that it's an upgrade from the technical point of view but similar to the beyerdynamic generation 2 and HD800S, along with technical improvements, there is a tonality shift that makes the sound "more appealing" and less uncompromising.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #192 of 346
  Oh yes please do. I see you have the T5P, how's that working out for you, over the CD900STs of course.

The T5Ps are excellent in a different way. Their mids are still superb, but slightly lack the fine detail of the CD900STs. They also lean more toward forward, so they have a very energetic sound.

Thankfully, despite their HUGE soundstage, their mids have such a presence that they don't lose their intimacy. I think this is probably the main reason why I was willing to let the CD900STs go.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #193 of 346
Ok now I've used the CD900ST's for a bit, here are my thoughts:

- EPIC detailing, very revealing; allows one to pinpoint from where the sound is coming
- Surprisingly good bass
- Very analytical sound
- Soundstage is very narrow and intimate
- Very comfortable, thought slightly tight; I might like open cans better (haven't tried them yet; I'm new to this)

Overall very good sound that I'm satisfied with.

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #195 of 346
Yeah I know, yaxi is awesome, got those myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup, just received the Yaxi pads myself and they are awesome in terms of comfort. The originals were too thin and the housing pins my ears back hard. These had more space without compromising on the tonality of the headphones. If anything, I did notice a slight widening of the soundstage. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back