Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
May 18, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #151 of 346
I've tried several more expensive headphones over the past year, including Oppo PM3, Fidelio X2, AudioQuest NH, HiFiMan 400s, Grado 325e, and while I can't say the MDR CD900st is better than those (well, better than the X2 or Grado at least), they are not too far off in terms of sound quality. Plus, I finally had to admit to myself that anything over 200 grams or so in weight is tough for me take over long listening sessions and too big of a pad is bothersome. I have neck and TMJ issues so very sensitive. The 900 is the perfect size and weight and just super comfortable with the HM5 pads.

May 19, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #152 of 346
I can't agree with them being extremely resolving. Have you tried some higher end headphones? Stax, Audeze, hd800, etc. It's no comparison. It's eye opening. It's like, "I should have tried these years ago." Luckily, I discovered them relatively early and saved myself lots of money instead of trying lots more of midfi and audio tweaks for a bit more resolution. It sounds snobby, but I don't want anyone reading this thread thinking cd900st is top shelf if you're looking for resolution that way they don't waste their time. I personally preferred speakers so sold off my headphones and I think the the last two I kept were portables because you can't use speakers outside at the library as a college student. One of those headphones I kept was the cd900st. I eventually may have sold it to you. Not sure.
biggrin.gif
now I'm back for an office headphone, but nothing too expensive or resolving or distracting. Just comfort and background listening. So I tried this he-400i. It's good sound quality for the sale price, but the comfort I find is only ok. If I could take back my purchase, I'd probably just stick to my PK1 earbuds.

Agreed about what makes someone become floored with the cd900st. I listen to all of the music listed in your profile and the rolled off bass would not bother that genre much at all which is why I could adore cd900st too. You can't do much better for portable isolation full sized headphone at the time. I haven't heard the newest stuff including some of the new planar portables and I'm not sure if they're closed back, so... I remember there was a portable audio technica woodie portable back in the day. I don't know if it's OOP now, but I would like to give that one a try. I'm sure there are tons of outstanding full sized closed back portables now that I'm not aware of. Headphone audio is so much bigger now than when I initially joined.

As I said, the CD900STs have a narrow detail band. Not extremely detailed in the highs or bass, but vocals are where the real detail is. I own the Beyerdynamic T5Ps, and while having a broader range of extreme detail, they still come up short with mid range. Same with all the high end headphones I've heard, including Hifiman HE-500s (which I've put considerable time on), HD800, LCD-2s, and a few others. The exception there might be the HD800s. Those had some pretty exceptional detail in the mid range, at the expense of being a little bit too sharp. That last point in particular is what makes the CD900STs so special: it's able to achieve ruthless mid range detail, all while sounding laid back.

May 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #154 of 346

As I said, the CD900STs have a narrow detail band. Not extremely detailed in the highs or bass, but vocals are where the real detail is. I own the Beyerdynamic T5Ps, and while having a broader range of extreme detail, they still come up short with mid range. Same with all the high end headphones I've heard, including Hifiman HE-500s (which I've put considerable time on), HD800, LCD-2s, and a few others. The exception there might be the HD800s. Those had some pretty exceptional detail in the mid range, at the expense of being a little bit too sharp. That last point in particular is what makes the CD900STs so special: it's able to achieve ruthless mid range detail, all while sounding laid back.

Hard to argue with that. The HE-500s are probably my favorite, and memory tells me they had more detail retrieval, but I can't recall the vocal mid range being more detailed. However, maybe the CD900ST is not more resolving, but it has a more forward (neutral) mid-range compared to the HE-500 which makes the CD900ST sound like its got more detail prowess in the mid-range. So, if someone were to EQ the HE-500 a little then maybe it would surpass the CD900ST. I don't know. Just guesses. I really like the CD900ST and would buy them again, so I don't know why I'm being so argumentative. I just worry because it seems so few have had the chance to hear these headphones so I feel obligated to share my opinion on them. And you're still in possession, so I would take your opinion over mine since mine is further removed from actually hearing them recently. I would like to add that I've heard and bought a lot of closed headphones including the top their stuff (except the recent closed planars besides the Fostex T50RP), and I think the CD900ST, T50RP and maybe the MDR10 (no, I did not own these) were the only ones that I liked. The bass always just sounded wrong, one-noted or boomy, or just too much. It's rare when I hear a closed headphone that I actually like, so I was even more stunned by the CD900ST.

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #155 of 346
For those who have this headphone I highly recommend the Yaxi ear pads from Japan. They are specifically tailored for the CD900st ...they are over ear, soft protein leather, and very comfortable. Expensive at $40 but well worth it. After putting in some hours on the CD900st the past month I think they are the best closed back headphone I've heard for under $300. They are only $175 brand new on Amazon.

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #156 of 346
For those who have this headphone I highly recommend the Yaxi ear pads from Japan. They are specifically tailored for the CD900st ...they are over ear, soft protein leather, and very comfortable. Expensive at $40 but well worth it. After putting in some hours on the CD900st the past month I think they are the best closed back headphone I've heard for under $300. They are only $175 brand new on Amazon.

Do you have a link on where to get the yaxi pads? I just want to make sure I get it from a good seller to make sure its the legit one if I ever get it.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #157 of 346
Google "Yaxi Shop Over Sea". That takes you to the Yaxi.jp site that allows international shopping. I ordered mine from US on a Saturday and got it Wednesday. Very fast. They also have a microfiber version that I might get at some point too. The site is totally legit.

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #158 of 346
Google "Yaxi Shop Over Sea". That takes you to the Yaxi.jp site that allows international shopping. I ordered mine from US on a Saturday and got it Wednesday. Very fast. They also have a microfiber version that I might get at some point too. The site is totally legit.

Are they real leather? I would love, love, love to get some new fancy pads on my CD900st's, but I can't bring myself to buy leather anything.

I bought the CD900ST because I love the EX800ST so much.  I have a lot of love for the Sony Professional line. the EX800ST are basshead to the max. These aren't, but they can take a s*** load of EQ and not complain in the slightest. I'm pumping about 2 watts into them right now

edit: Just saw they have a microfiber one. Damn, I will have those ordered by the end of the day.

I literally got these from the postman 20 minutes ago and I am already raving nonstop about how killer these are. I have heard LOTS of headphones and I'm shocked at how good these are for the price. Goodbye any desire to get HD 25-1-II's again. Goodbye all AKG and Grado desire. God damn. These things are something else. And I'm doubly surprised because I have a lot of very strong disdain for most of the Sonys that look like these (V6, 7506, etc) hate them all. So how are these so good?!

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #159 of 346
Yeah the CD900st is awesome. It seems that most people don't know about them either.

The pads are a protein leather I believe. They are great - these headphones are now one of the most comfortable I've ever worn. They fit just over my ears so they seem a bit bigger than the stock. The sound didn't change at all - if anything they sound a bit richer. Not sure if the micro fiber would change anything though but I want to get those too.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #160 of 346
Forgot to mention that the pads came with a nice little mesh pouch. The headphones fit nicely in them.

What I like about the CD900st is that the sound is neutral but not in a sterile way. I tried the 7506 but these are way better. Perfect clamping pressure too. The 7506 felt too snug.

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #161 of 346
Darn, I tried ordering some of the Yaxi pads but after clicking continue to Paypal it brought me to an error page saying I'd have to contact them for help. Oh well, sent off an email.

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #163 of 346
Yaxi micro fiber or leather ?

I was trying to order the micro fibers.

The sound signature is completely identical to the MDR 7550/EX800ST. go figure... it's the only other Sony Professional designed headphone.

I own both. If you loved your CD900ST but wanted more impact and enegry then get the 7550/EX800st. same thing, different names for regions. don't bother checking, i owned both several times. I use my MDR 7550s all the time. I use my CD900ST when i've had too much IEMs or want to bring them into the studio for actual studio monitor work.

They may get recabled with Sommer Peacock MK2 but I have no complaints about the cable except I prefer Y cables.

all in all worth my money and probably worth writing a review about, persionally I want to wait to hear back from the JP pad company so I can try swapping out the pads on these,  i have a feeling that'll make a notable difference

Weird I am enoying these so much because I own 2x SZ2000 bass cannons but these sound just like the MDR 7550 except more relaxed and that's what is awesome. If your complaint is these are too relaxed then get the IEM version and be floored.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #165 of 346
  is there any website that ships this to europe

I see them on eBay shipping worldwide from japan readily available, but is a little on the expensive side.
Personally, i'm waiting to find a used set for a decent price to recable & keep as backups.
I have been using these more than anything else which is funny because the Sony MDR series was one of my most hated series of headphones.... EVER.
but the CD900ST is my new #1

(note CD900ST is the one Sony Professional designed MDR, the rest are Sony Consumer, so that explains why the Cd900ST is so much better, and truly tuned for studio use)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back