Sony MDR-CD770
Apr 4, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #46 of 51
I almost made a new topic but since this one bumped up to the top, it's a nice occasion.

Since you seem to have a lot of experience with those older Sony cans, I just got some really nice condition CD1700, but they have a debilitating channel imbalance issue. Anything under the 250Hz region seems to drop off entirely (actually not quite but it sounds like it when listening to music) in the left ear, and the left channel is also lower volume across the board. Is that something that could be because of the cable? (this one is completely original and has its base attached cable) Or should I just cut my losses and look for another pair?
It could be cable if some of the wires are no longer transmitting the sound. This could cause some volume imbalanced. If replacing the wire doesn’t work, then it could be a bad driver sadly.

Apr 5, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #47 of 51
It could be cable if some of the wires are no longer transmitting the sound. This could cause some volume imbalanced. If replacing the wire doesn’t work, then it could be a bad driver sadly.

I've seen a lot of the CD1700s online have been cable-modded or the wires replaced, but I've never done that before and also a lot of those mods end up looking quite ugly. I'd like minimal change to the outside of the headphones if possible, but no idea where to even start. Do you have some pointers perhaps? Thanks!

Nov 7, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #50 of 51
Nov 7, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #51 of 51
Oh damn, thanks a lot that's a good find.

I sort of gave up on that project since it turns out the first pair of these I got had a completely borked left driver. I've since gotten a second pair that sounds fine, but it's still good to have detailed photos of how these come apart!
You're welcome! I hope you will find a way to fix them and enjoy the sound):beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back