Sony MDR-CD3000 headphone ' The Legendary Prince ' aka Baby MDR-R10
Nov 3, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #17 of 69
Thanks for sharing, @protoss

I see you've mentioned the presence of different revisions on the MDR-CD1700. Do you have any information on how to differentiate them physically?
Unfortunately you have to open them up and have a look at what's inside.
Externally they'll be identical.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #18 of 69
Guys.....I have two pairs of the CD1700 sitting unused for the last few years now. I always feel that they are a very good sounding headphones but a little muffled sounding at time despite its rather nice quality in voices, soundstage and treble department. I got curious what they would have sounded like with much better cable and out of a good balanced amplification. So I recabled one pair with a left over Moon-Audio Black and another with the Blue Dragon. Also modded them with dual cable entries....soldering the + & - wires directly to the each driver so i can use it with my DMP-Z1 and 1Z/1A/ZX507 walkman. Both are now reterminated with a 4.4 mm TRRRS plug. The result is a truly wonderful sounding headphones that punch way way above the asking price. I have many top class headphones in my collection and can't seem to stop listening to my modded CD1700. Sony was holding the CD1700 back quite a bit with a rather poor stock cable. They also restricting it for single-end operation only. I encourage any CD1700 owner to perform this mod to bring out the best in the CD1700. I can guarantee that you will absolutely love it. The modded CD1700 is so musical and capable of revealing nuances and nuances of details. The presentation is relaxed and effortless but the sense of scale is considerably larger when driven in balanced. Really no weakness anymore. I would take this over the MDR-Z1R for sure.
Sony MDR-CD1700-1.jpeg

Was reading this old thread on Sony's and saw this pic. Immediately stopped and scrolled back up.

"Wait, is that a copy of ACI and an SE review book? Yup sure is!"

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 69
Was reading this old thread on Sony's and saw this pic. Immediately stopped and scrolled back up.

"Wait, is that a copy of ACI and an SE review book? Yup sure is!"
Correct. They are my reference books at work.

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #22 of 69
My first CD1700 is on the way! The box can be an indicator, if "Sony Corporation @ 1996 Printed in Japan" is written on it, it should be the right one. Or at least I hope. :)
Good luck. I love the CD1700!

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #23 of 69
Very interesting thread for someone who does not disregard the older stuff.
Hello fellow Norwegian! I remember the event in the picture very well - I was walking to school in downtown Tromsø. Small world!

To stay somewhat on topic: Have you ever seen a CD3K on finn.no?

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #24 of 69
I got super lazy to do my prize jewel thread on the R10. So, ill post some left over things here...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony was pioneers in this space in the 80s and 90s. Legendary items with exquisite appearance and powerful specs.

Sony released a "R" Series. It was not only the greatest headphone of all time, "The Sony MDR R10" it was a combination of greatest in everything.

Greatest Speakers, Greatest Amplifiers, Greatest DACs, Greatest Pre-amps and Greatest CD-Players.

The legendary "R" series

Sony TA ER1
- Pre-amp and amp for the R10 headphone and R series speakers
Sony_TA-ER1.jpg

Sony CDP-R1/DAS-R1 CD player - This CD-player and DAC went hand in hand with the headphone and speakers.
cd.jpg

Sony SS-R10 - Legendary R speakers made alongside with the R10 headphones/CD-players and Amplifiers
ss10.jpg

Sony CDP-R10 - This is theeeeee CD-player of all time! The Ultra RARE R-10 CD-player
Sony-cdp-r1.jpg

Sony SS-GR1 - R-10 lound speakers

a.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #26 of 69
Hello fellow Norwegian! I remember the event in the picture very well - I was walking to school in downtown Tromsø. Small world!

To stay somewhat on topic: Have you ever seen a CD3K on finn.no?
Hello. I'm Fairly new to all this audiophile stuff so i haven't really looked that hard for them.. did snoop around for some of the models mentioned in this thread, but didn't find anything. Kinda hard finding anything of interest in the myriad of Sony Headphones for sale. Considering that Sony makes so much cheaper stuff i'm sure someone will list a high-end model on the cheap thinking that it is crap, so deals are almost sure to be had if one is patient.

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #27 of 69
Behold the 2nd pale blue horse.

The Legendary Sony SS-R10
These are Sony's electrostatic SS-R10 loudspeaker!! Yes, you heard it electrostatic loudspeakers made with the same team around the R10 CD-players, headphones and DACs!!!

Sony SS-R10.jpg

jkl.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #28 of 69
Behold the 2nd pale blue horse.

The Legendary Sony SS-R10
These are Sony's electrostatic SS-R10 loudspeaker!! Yes, you heard it electrostatic loudspeakers made with the same team around the R10 CD-players, headphones and DACs!!!

Sony SS-R10.jpg
Looks great, I'll take a pair!

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #29 of 69
@AudioThief

lol. Only a handful were made. And I bet they are all in Japan still. They are reported to be bass-shy speakers. Last price I believe is around 10K-20K
I believed Keijiro Maeda was its creator.