Sony MDR-CD3000 headphone ' The Legendary Prince ' aka Baby MDR-R10
Oct 21, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #61 of 69
Maybe could the CD1700/2 written in the external label, mean thet this is the second version?
Could possibly someone who has the first version check what is written in thei box?

12193756.jpg

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #62 of 69
@purk hi, the CD1700 you have modded and posted the photos, share the same drivers as the CD3000?
Not the same. How much can u get them for? Sorry, I can help you on which version. The CD1700 is pretty unique compared to most closed phones of today. I still really like my pair.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #64 of 69
Maybe could the CD1700/2 written in the external label, mean thet this is the second version?
Could possibly someone who has the first version check what is written in thei box?

12193756.jpg
For all the versions I've seen and documented, I've never seen any of the original boxes they came out of since those headphones were purchased 2nd-hand without the original packaging, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

Regarding the cracked headband - mine looks almost the same as this with some cracks, but with gentle use it doesn't seem to get any worse, and does not require replacement or repair.

If you are worried about maintaining the resale value of the headphone, you could disassesmble the headphone and put just this headband part into storage so it retains it's condition, and temporarliy replace it with a DIY part, but that may also require fiddling with the spring-loaded rollers on both sides, which could be a bad time... I've never tried it myself, so I won't recommend it.

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #66 of 69
Is it difficult to open them to understand which version and drivers are monted?
Not at all.
The ear pad is pulled off very easily, with no danger of damaging the pad.

From there you can see:
• If your version has a ring of damping paper over the driver
- and what colour paper it is.
• The colour of the baffle damping paper

Then there are 3 screws holding the baffle.
You only need a simple crosshead screwdriver for this. Nothing fancy at all.

Removing the baffle you can see:
• The driver colour (magnet housing is either natural metal or painted black)

Those are the only 3 variables that I've ever noticed.
Other than that, each driver has a different number code printed on them, but nobody knows exactly what they mean.

You may need something like a guitar pick to reinsert the edges of the ear pads.
The pads are easy enough to put back on, but the edges don't always easily go back into the 'slot'.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #68 of 69
@yatahaze - I don't know the answer to that question unfortunately.
I just know that only 2 out of 3 samples/copies sounded good to me:

Sample 1. (I own this one and I am VERY happy with it)
- Metal colour magnet
- No paper ring in front of driver
- White baffle paper

Sample 3. (this one sounded a little 'sweeter' in the upper mids compared to mine. Also excellent)
- Black painted magnet
- White paper ring around driver
- Baffle paper a mix of grey and black

You can see how each version is different on my frequency response measurements website:
https://itsgreq.gitbook.io/headphone-measurements/sony/sony-mdr-cd1700

And how each version compares to the other:
https://itsgreq.gitbook.io/headphon...ny-mdr-cd1700/cd1700-sample-averages-compared
- Sample 1 and 3 both sounded good to me.
- Sample 2 sounds too thin - it doesn't look like much on the graph, but side by side, it's a clear difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back