Sony MDR-CD1000
Dec 30, 2002 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

onex

New Head-Fier
I found a pair of CD1000's in a great condition for around $80. Is it a good deal?

Im planning to use them right out of my iPod. Do they perform well without amp? And what do you have to say about the CD1000 in general? How du they sound, and how would you grade these phones compared to highend senn's for example? Couldnt find much information about them here on the board.

Thx guys for helping me -

Dec 30, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 58
Hi Onex...

I haven't heard the CD1000s, but going from hearsay.. the CD1000s are similar sonically to the CD3000s... how much they lose, being cheaper... I cannot answer ~ but I believe they sound very different to their replacements... the CD1700s... and then the CD2000s...

Is there any way that you can try them... to hear for yourself... or, do you have to buy them before you can listen to them???

Dec 30, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 58
Okay - if they are sonically equal to the cd3000, it must be a good price at $80. I read that the cd3000 often was preferred compared to the HD600's.

Cant get to hear those phones first. I bought them from a person who had them for 4 years without using them more than around 10 times. Just been in its box.

How are the cd1000 compared to the cd3000? hmm..
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by onex
Okay - if they are sonically equal to the cd3000, it must be a good price at $80. I read that the cd3000 often was preferred compared to the HD600's.

That isn't quite what I said
wink.gif

They supposedly come from the same stable-block as their more expensive brothers... but to how similar they sound, there is I believe only one person I know, Jeffrey Karp from Headwize who has heard the CD1000s... might be worth trying to email him?

Dec 30, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 58
I used to have them a long time ago, but they were stolen. I also got them at an extremely low price of around US$80 new. They have that biocellulose diaphram thingie.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by onex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a pair of CD1000's in a great condition for around $80. Is it a good deal?

Im planning to use them right out of my iPod. Do they perform well without amp? And what do you have to say about the CD1000 in general? How du they sound, and how would you grade these phones compared to highend senn's for example? Couldnt find much information about them here on the board.

Thx guys for helping me -

I have had a pair of these since 1997. Mostly used them direct from my receiver, but I use them all the time now directly from my iPod. I think they sound great. My girlfriend bought a pair of DT 770 Pros, that sound a little better but not as comfortable. I am actually looking for some replacement parts for mine, if anyone knows where to purchase them, thanks.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 58
CD1000 and CD3000 are more or less similar (the CD3000 uses different housing and maybe different cable as well). Because of that, the earpads are still available (for example here as well)

For other parts Japan is your best bet but since it is long time discontinued best is to just find a broken CD3000 and use it for parts (or a working but beat-up set if you need the drivers but that is more unlikely).

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 58
Wow. An 8 year old bump. That may be a new record.

Regarding parts I'm almost positive the drivers can not be obtained new any longer. You may have some luck finding replacement earpads through audiocubes, but I'm not sure about that. The guy to ask would probably be "leeperry". He's the forum CD1000/CD3000 fanatic. I would send him a PM and see if he can help in any way.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't heard the CD1000s, but going from hearsay.. the CD1000s are similar sonically to the CD3000s...

One really shouldn't pay too much heed to hearsay let alone repeat it ...

For the record, they're not even close.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 58
damn right! a stock cd3k really sounds like cr** IME, I can't believe ppl would shell out so much money on them haha.

cd1k/cd3k use the same drivers/ear pads btw, and I've compared several pairs IRL w/ my own ears(did you?)...the SONY part for the cd1k/cd3k drivers is 1-505-132-11 - Google Search

same ref again:
SONMDRCD1000 - Encompass Parts
SONMDRCD3000 - Encompass Parts

but it's all about e-penis these days...wooden cups add even more internets points to the cd3k I guess
biggrin.gif

Germania gave her honest feelings here(I modified my cd1k following her instructions more or less): http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4978901-post139.html

I understand she's got banned for sloppy MOT work, but that doesn't discount her hearing capabilities...she also compared her modded cd1k to RS's R10 for the record.

I also recently auditioned a friend's DX1K...I'll try to focus my review into one word: "haha".

the real issue is that those bio-cellulose cd1k/cd3k drivers don't age well...so maybe the cd1k you heard and the two cd3k I heard had foobared drivers
frown.gif

but I'm nonetheless admirative of your troll attempt ice, kudos! you're a star
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I'm nonetheless admirative of your troll attempt ice, kudos! you're a star
beerchug.gif

I own three pairs of CD3000. I bought a pair of the CD1000s from ebay based on all the hearsay.
In short, as far as I can figure out it was all ******** spread by modders or folks trying to hype the price of CD1Ks they were selling.

The CD1ks don't have the bass response or anywhere near the soundstage of the CD3K and that's just two glaring differences off the top of my head.

I resold the CD1k and still have my three pairs of CD3ks.
That should tell you something about my impressions and for the record, I have yet to hear for myself any evidence that there's any issues with the bio-cellulose diaphragms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back