Sony MDR-7520
Apr 5, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #2,266 of 2,535

[...]

Thank you for your interest. I'm afraid we don't plan to start selling the MDR-7520.

Best,
Viesturs
Sonarworks"

He's right, I'm afraid. EU doesn't like the MDR-7520 due to the fact that they are super efficient and thus infringe some idiotic loudness rules (my amp can make any headphone "too loud"). So yeah, it's either US or some other exotic location for us to source them as well.

If you can find good used deals, then just swap out the pads and send them over. Might be cheaper than us trying to hunt them down.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #2,267 of 2,535

He's right, I'm afraid. EU doesn't like the MDR-7520 due to the fact that they are super efficient and thus infringe some idiotic loudness rules (my amp can make any headphone "too loud"). So yeah, it's either US or some other exotic location for us to source them as well.

If you can find good used deals, then just swap out the pads and send them over. Might be cheaper than us trying to hunt them down.

Which begs the question; are they worth it, in your opinion?

It would be very interesting to know whether they calibrated well (had low THD etc) or whether there are better choices for the same or less money.

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #2,268 of 2,535
  Well, after ordering 4 pairs of 7510s at work I decided to buy the 7520s again for personal use.

I want accurate mixing headphones with a leather earpad for under $300. I sold my HD650s because of the velour earpads. The 7520s are just as useable for audio work as the HD650s, at the expense of soundstage. Like last time, they're a little sweaty, and a little shallow causing some discomfort. Not perfect, but minor issues that I can live with.

But now the creaking started on the right side. I don't know what to do, I'm sick of searching for and returning headphones. I don't think I want to spend the money on DT1770s, but I also don't want to downgrade to ATH-M50s. My HD25s fool me into thinking that mixes sound exciting, when in reality they're not. In theory the 7520s are perfect for me. Any other alternatives? The Focals are ugly, and AKG 271s have no low end, the build quality is also worse now, unlike my old Austrian made pair.

I guess I'll have to try the lithium grease. My previous pair of 7520s had some creaking, but not like this. The right earcup is insane, the creaks are louder than snaredrums if I move my jaw around.

If you can find them the yamaha mt220 is excellent for the price. Theres also the akg k267, audio technica ath-m70x, ultrasone hfi-680, beyerdynamic dt250 and my personal favourite at the moment is the beyerdynamic custom studio which is like a cheaper version of the dt1770. They do come with velour earpads but its easy to just swap them with some of beyers leather earpads.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,269 of 2,535
When j got mine the creaking was almost unbearable. I oiled them months back and they are still practically silent. Before I couldn't walk with them out doors as every step made a creaking sound.

The band has also relaxed, and while not the most comfortable I wear them for hours. I was thinking of replacing them with the T5P but the 7520 is just too good of value and it has a presentation like none other.

Thanks, that's encouraging. I still have a few weeks before I have to decide to return them.

Quote:

If you can find them the yamaha mt220 is excellent for the price. Theres also the akg k267, audio technica ath-m70x, ultrasone hfi-680, beyerdynamic dt250 and my personal favourite at the moment is the beyerdynamic custom studio which is like a cheaper version of the dt1770. They do come with velour earpads but its easy to just swap them with some of beyers leather earpads.

Thanks, I'll consider those as well.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,270 of 2,535
  Well, after ordering 4 pairs of 7510s at work I decided to buy the 7520s again for personal use.

I want accurate mixing headphones with a leather earpad for under $300. I sold my HD650s because of the velour earpads. The 7520s are just as useable for audio work as the HD650s, at the expense of soundstage. Like last time, they're a little sweaty, and a little shallow causing some discomfort. Not perfect, but minor issues that I can live with.

But now the creaking started on the right side. I don't know what to do, I'm sick of searching for and returning headphones. I don't think I want to spend the money on DT1770s, but I also don't want to downgrade to ATH-M50s. My HD25s fool me into thinking that mixes sound exciting, when in reality they're not. In theory the 7520s are perfect for me. Any other alternatives? The Focals are ugly, and AKG 271s have no low end, the build quality is also worse now, unlike my old Austrian made pair.

I guess I'll have to try the lithium grease. My previous pair of 7520s had some creaking, but not like this. The right earcup is insane, the creaks are louder than snaredrums if I move my jaw around.

Search through my post history, I posted something a good while back in this thread with pictures on how I solved my creaking.  It involved a piece of string and tying it to a couple of the joints, which made the motion stiffer and completely eliminated any creaking.  Worked much better for me than applying lubricant.

Edit: this post http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/1350#post_10481522

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #2,271 of 2,535

Which begs the question; are they worth it, in your opinion?

It would be very interesting to know whether they calibrated well (had low THD etc) or whether there are better choices for the same or less money.

I asked my guys in the lab what they thought about the MDR-7520. They said that these are a pretty swell pair of cans, save for some peaks in the treble. With that said - we've never encountered a headphone which can be said to have no problems in the treble. What changes from can to can is how offensive these treble troubles are.

I'm not sure if you'd gain much in terms of performance by buying the M50x. Maybe some on the paper, but I can only guess how that would translate to any audible effects.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #2,272 of 2,535

Search through my post history, I posted something a good while back in this thread with pictures on how I solved my creaking.  It involved a piece of string and tying it to a couple of the joints, which made the motion stiffer and completely eliminated any creaking.  Worked much better for me than applying lubricant.

Edit: this post http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/1350#post_10481522

if you're looking for something for mixing i would definitely recommend you to get the cd900st. they are like the 7510 but much more natural sounding and i also find them to be more comfortable. the sound is really amazing fq-balance-wise. you can order them through pricejapan or amazon japan i guess.
i would also recommend not to switch too often between headphones for mixing. more important for mixing is that you work with a pair of LS or headphones that you know very well and you know how they translate to other hifi and low cost gear.

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2,273 of 2,535
if you're looking for something for mixing i would definitely recommend you to get the cd900st. they are like the 7510 but much more natural sounding and i also find them to be more comfortable. the sound is really amazing fq-balance-wise. you can order them through pricejapan or amazon japan i guess.
i would also recommend not to switch too often between headphones for mixing. more important for mixing is that you work with a pair of LS or headphones that you know very well and you know how they translate to other hifi and low cost gear.

Thank you for that cd900st recommendation, it's not every day sometime tells me about headphones I've never heard of. After years of dismissing the V6 and 7506s I recently tried a new pair and the build quality was INCREDIBLE. They feel so good in the hands, such precise perfect hinges, great solid finish. Reminded me of high end AKGs back when they were still made in Austria.

The cd900st might be ever better, I just confirmed that they're made in Japan and not Thailand like the rest of their line.

I doubt they can compete with the 7520s in terms of detail, but I'm really tempted to buy them on aesthetics and build quality alone.

Also what are the odds of the creaking 7520s being counterfeit? I'm seeing a lot of unboxing video comparisons of fake Sony professional headphones, with pretty believable packaging. This for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBL6_17-EQ

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,274 of 2,535

I doubt they can compete with the 7520s in terms of detail, but I'm really tempted to buy them on aesthetics and build quality alone.

Not to hijack a 7520 thread (I'm interested in them too) but I own the CD900ST, the last thing they lack is detail. They have a very interesting approach to tuning, very accurate nonetheless.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #2,275 of 2,535
Another update: The 7520 materials are better than the 7510, except they're not. The magnesium instead of plastic and the larger driver make the 7520s heavier and less comfortable than the 7510s. The headband is stiffer too. Also, I think the 7520s have thicker leather on the pads, which to me feels like a sweaty dead body, while the 7510s seem to have thinner, possibly fake leather that feels like a regular soft headphone pad.

I still can't decide on these. The extended low end of the 7520s is great, the detail is fantastic, but they're just refusing to be good headphones for me. I want to love them so bad, but they're just not loving me back.

Do the CD900STs have the relatively controlled sub bass of the 7520s?

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #2,276 of 2,535

Another update: The 7520 materials are better than the 7510, except they're not. The magnesium instead of plastic and the larger driver make the 7520s heavier and less comfortable than the 7510s. The headband is stiffer too. Also, I think the 7520s have thicker leather on the pads, which to me feels like a sweaty dead body, while the 7510s seem to have thinner, possibly fake leather that feels like a regular soft headphone pad.

I still can't decide on these. The extended low end of the 7520s is great, the detail is fantastic, but they're just refusing to be good headphones for me. I want to love them so bad, but they're just not loving me back.

you can swap out the ear pads to fake velour beyerdynamic ones.

ones in vid  are 7506 but i think the design is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asxqk-rcnic&ab_channel=Hi-FiInsider

lastly enjoy those 7520s with some great floor bass by adam ben ezra
.... and then some classic drumming with the legendary buddy rich considered to be one 
of 'the kings' of drumming...a master (self taught) who influenced so many.

and finally a tip of the hat in respect to Prince, who passed away yesterday:
some fab guitar solo towards at the 3:30 mark, ripping it up in 'my guitar gently weeps'

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,278 of 2,535

Not sure what you meant by 'controlled sub bass. The CD900ST extends pretty low so it kicks accurately but doesn't have the low rumble of a Denon D2000, for example.
I might pull the trigger on a used pair of 7520 but still a bit confused about their sound sig. I expect them to be a little warmish though.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #2,279 of 2,535

Initially, I struggled with the 7520, especially the comfort and had some creaking. Took a bit to adapt to the sound but these are now among my favorite headphones. Handidly beat a number of closed backs I've tried. For detail, they can hold themselves against an HD650. I enjoy them for production, music listening, on the go and for gaming.

Stick with them for a while.

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,280 of 2,535
Canali, thanks for sharing. I listed to all the you YouTube links you put up. I'll tell you I'm am absolutely enamoured with the way the 7520 reproduces bass. Pretty much my ideal closed headphone. It is so versatile. Having had the pleasure of owning a number of closed headphones including SRH-840, MDR-7506, akg K271, MDR-V6, Sennheiser hd280, Denon ah-d600s these take the cake. The overall tonal balance resolution and bass quality beat all in the list. If put them up against a pair of hd 650s except that 7520 have more bass emphasis which i prefer. They seriously steal time away from the LCD2s they are that good

update: anyone compare the newly released Sony MDR-1A (which replaced the 1R) with the 7520s?
 just wondering how they stack up with tech/ergonomics always evolving etc.

few questions please:
1/the earpads are a bitch on warm days however...for those with the velour ones? are they
much cooler on the ears?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ESJ54ZEQC7EL&coliid=IZ6S30G3J5TRV

2.also thinking of taking these as my portables.
are these 2 cords from page 145 still suggested?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/682534/sony-mdr-7520/2160
i see some knock off on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Replacement-Audio-Cable-For-Sony-MDR-1RBT-MDR-1RNC-MDR-Z1000-MDR-7520-headphone-/281558789174

going to order both cord and earpads from amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back