Sony MDR-7520
Jan 31, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #2,251 of 2,535
I tried a different source, my old Sony Walkman and had it on a radio station.  Not bright or harsh at all, actually this headphone is just a whole lot of fun.  Great sounding for pop and rock.  Now I am wondering why my iPhone is a little hard sounding compared to my Sony Walkman.  My iPhone files are even not MP3s, they are all uncompressed.  Weird.   

Radio cuts off at 14khz for FM and 10khz for AM. So there is less high frequency information. iPhone DAC amp is pretty good. Perfectly fine for the 7520. Give it some time. After owning these for a while I appreciate the 7520 detail and it is not harsh (but that could just b my preference)

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #2,253 of 2,535
  I usually don't like when you buy headphone and don't like what you ear, then ask for people their advice and they tell you burn in or brain in...Yes there is some adaptation taking place but up to a certain amount. Usually the burn-in slogan was exaggerated on audio gear so you would miss the return option window and couldn't  get your money back IMO...
I will tell you this about switching gear, the less experience you have with different headphone the more you should consider that your brain needs to adapt to the new sound or at least you should add more perspective to new sound signatures.

Use them for 2 days with different music style on different mediums. If after 2 days you are not satisfied with your purchase no amount of burn-in/brain-in will help whatsoever.

Anything over 48 hours of burn-in seems stupid to me; if you have a bunch of gear to switch through it does make it much easier to appreciate or at least narrow down what you like. If after one week you don't like a pair of headphones you probably won't like them at all; synergy exists but even a bad pairing will retain the base qualities.

To add my own experience, I strongly disliked the sound signature of the 7520 for the first 3-4 days (and planned on returning them), and here I am 2 weeks later enjoying them greatly and thankful that I stuck it out past my initial impressions.

Wow you didn't like for almost a week? I didn't like them for a couple hours and then thought they were better than ok for a day but really appreciated them after 2 days.

Hmmm, not sure what it could be.

I had the 7520's for several months, and they never sounded harsh to my ears.

They are really revealing of your source imo. Maybe they source is to dry sounding?

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,257 of 2,535
Here it is -

1. AIAIAI TMA1 (PU foam pads)
  2. AKG K141 MKII
  3. AKG K240 Studio
  4. AKG K271 MKII
  5. AKG K701
  6. AKG K702
  7. AKG K712 Pro
  8. Audeze LCD-2 non-fazor
  9. Audeze LCD-X non-fazor
  10. Audio-Technica M20x
  11. Audio-Technica M40x
  12. Audio-Technica M50x
  13. Audio-Technica M70x
  14. Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm
  15. Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm
  16. Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
  17. Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
  18. Beyerdynamic T1
  19. Focal Spirit Pro
  20. KRK KNS8400
  21. Sennheiser HD25-II
  22. Sennheiser HD280
  23. Sennheiser HD598
  24. Sennheiser HD600
  25. Sennheiser HD650
  26. Sennheiser HD800
  27. Sennheiser Surrounder
  28. Shure SRH840
  29. Shure SRH1840
  30. Sony MDR7506
  31. Sony MDR7520
  32. Superlux HD681

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,259 of 2,535
Just wanted to say that Sonarworks just added the MDR-7520 to the supported headphone list!

Great news. I'm only using the Sonarworks demo at the moment but it is a very impressive EQ package for professionals and audio enthusiasts alike

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #2,260 of 2,535
Rudewolf. Downloaded! All questions answered! Thanks for the extremely helpful YouTube instruction videos that were linked in the SW calibration thread. 

I'll get back later with some listening impressions! Thanks again.

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #2,261 of 2,535
definitely going to check this out....
this might be a truly neophyte question, but ill ask anyway:
is there anything coming out for iems eventually, too?
there is another member who was having a heckuva hard time finding a truly neutral iem
(and like the maker of this software he seems quite well versed in audio)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785154/need-recommendations-for-most-neutral-accurate-yet-musical-and-enjoyable-iem-in-sub-1-000-range-going-over-is-okay-if-its-really-worth-it/75

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #2,262 of 2,535
IEM's have their own set of problems. We are able to measure them pretty reliably, however the same IEM will vary in sound depending on the tips and how deep the user prefers to wear them. This severely limits their "calibrate-ability".

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #2,263 of 2,535
  Just wanted to say that Sonarworks just added the MDR-7520 to the supported headphone list!

For those interested:

To: support AT sonarworks DOT com

"Dear Sonarworks,

I note that the Sony MDR7520 have been added as 'Supported headphones' with average calibration curves for the Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone plug-in ( http://sonarworks.com/headphones/supported-headphone ).

Do you plan to offer a pair of the Sony MDR7520 in a 'Pre-calibrated headphones' ( http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/ ) / 'Includes headphones' ( http://store.sonarworks.com/collections/headphone-calibration/includes-headphones ) bundle?

The MDR-7520 are no longer available in the UK and, although it is possible to order them from the US (though seemingly not Japan), by ordering them from Latvia (and hence the EU) there would be no risk of import duty / import tax.

Thank you for your help,

Nick"

"Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your interest. I'm afraid we don't plan to start selling the MDR-7520.

Best,
Viesturs
Sonarworks"

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #2,264 of 2,535
Well, after ordering 4 pairs of 7510s at work I decided to buy the 7520s again for personal use.

I want accurate mixing headphones with a leather earpad for under $300. I sold my HD650s because of the velour earpads. The 7520s are just as useable for audio work as the HD650s, at the expense of soundstage. Like last time, they're a little sweaty, and a little shallow causing some discomfort. Not perfect, but minor issues that I can live with.

But now the creaking started on the right side. I don't know what to do, I'm sick of searching for and returning headphones. I don't think I want to spend the money on DT1770s, but I also don't want to downgrade to ATH-M50s. My HD25s fool me into thinking that mixes sound exciting, when in reality they're not. In theory the 7520s are perfect for me. Any other alternatives? The Focals are ugly, and AKG 271s have no low end, the build quality is also worse now, unlike my old Austrian made pair.

I guess I'll have to try the lithium grease. My previous pair of 7520s had some creaking, but not like this. The right earcup is insane, the creaks are louder than snaredrums if I move my jaw around.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #2,265 of 2,535
Well, after ordering 4 pairs of 7510s at work I decided to buy the 7520s again for personal use.

I want accurate mixing headphones with a leather earpad for under $300. I sold my HD650s because of the velour earpads. The 7520s are just as useable for audio work as the HD650s, at the expense of soundstage. Like last time, they're a little sweaty, and a little shallow causing some discomfort. Not perfect, but minor issues that I can live with.

But now the creaking started on the right side. I don't know what to do, I'm sick of searching for and returning headphones. I don't think I want to spend the money on DT1770s, but I also don't want to downgrade to ATH-M50s. My HD25s fool me into thinking that mixes sound exciting, when in reality they're not. In theory the 7520s are perfect for me. Any other alternatives? The Focals are ugly, and AKG 271s have no low end, the build quality is also worse now, unlike my old Austrian made pair.

I guess I'll have to try the lithium grease. My previous pair of 7520s had some creaking, but not like this. The right earcup is insane, the creaks are louder than snaredrums if I move my jaw around.

When j got mine the creaking was almost unbearable. I oiled them months back and they are still practically silent. Before I couldn't walk with them out doors as every step made a creaking sound.

The band has also relaxed, and while not the most comfortable I wear them for hours. I was thinking of replacing them with the T5P but the 7520 is just too good of value and it has a presentation like none other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back