Sony MDR-7520
Jun 5, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,281 of 2,535
wow that $13 cable looks perfect even though I had bought the recommended custom awhile ago...

https://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27_213&products_id=5592

I decided to order the cheap one off ebay just incase.  the custom I ordered above while nice has a way too thick and stiff cable for portable use so perhaps this other one is even better.  thanks for highlighting this deal!  hard to find replacement cables for the 7520 with locking connector. i just bought the 1.2m one even though i prefer 1.1m.

the velour beyer pads are the way to go no question however the pads you linked to I am not sure are the same ones I use.  I think the model number is different.  sorry but it has been a long time since i bought mine and forget exactly what model number is right.  if you look back on this thread at my posts should be there somewhere.

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,282 of 2,535
  wow that $13 cable looks perfect even though I had bought the recommended custom awhile ago...

https://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27_213&products_id=5592

I decided to order the cheap one off ebay just incase.  the custom I ordered above while nice has a way too thick and stiff cable for portable use so perhaps this other one is even better.  thanks for highlighting this deal!  hard to find replacement cables for the 7520 with locking connector. i just bought the 1.2m one even though i prefer 1.1m.

the velour beyer pads are the way to go no question however the pads you linked to I am not sure are the same ones I use.  I think the model number is different.  sorry but it has been a long time since i bought mine and forget exactly what model number is right.  if you look back on this thread at my posts should be there somewhere.

thanks....they are the same velour pads recommended by amazon too...
as well as in that earlier video link i provided below

...can anyone give feedback to both the velour pads and cheaper cord please?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Replacement-Audio-Cable-For-Sony-MDR-1RBT-MDR-1RNC-MDR-Z1000-MDR-7520-headphone-/281558789174?rmvSB=true
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ESJ54ZEQC7EL&coliid=IZ6S30G3J5TRV

Frequently Bought Together

1. 41O5xYG76pL._AC_UL115_.jpg
  2. +

Total price: CDN$ 155.64
Add both to Cart​

Buy the selected items together
  1. This item:Beyerdynamic EDT250V Headphone Ear Pads (Black) CDN$ 26.39
  2. Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone CDN$ 129.25

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,283 of 2,535

one thing i can say about the custom cable mentioned in this thread previously is that the cord while being thick and relatively stiff it does not tangle or curl up at all i mean it lies dead straight from headphones to player in my pocket.  It does have a bit of an 'industrial' or professional look to it.  very substantial if you are into that sort of thing.  sound wise i am suspecting both are identical since we are talking about such a short run here of 1m or so. i guess what i mean is the more expensive cable suits the 'professional' label of the headphones. it must be braided and it will certainly never break or fray.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #2,284 of 2,535
well i've ordered the velour beyerdynamic pads...hope they help

i'm not using the senn hd650..wow what a contrast in sound:
of course one if closed and the senns are open.
...the senns almost sound 'mehish' a bit compared to the sonys.

now to give more info: i'm also only hooking the senn to my new dragonfly red from my laptop.
think they need more juice to bring out their flavours: so will try later on once my chord mojo arrives.
..will also try them on my iFi micro IDSD (hear the dac/amp is that is pretty great for its size) and
also my newly tweaked mapletree ear+ HD tube amp.

however i love it that the sonys are sooooo easy to drive:
with the dragonfly red from my laptop they only need 8-12% of sound level before they get really loud
vs 25-30% on the senn 650s.

this all said: anyone tried the new audeze sines side by side with these sonys?
alway interesting to try new things as tech evolves.

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,285 of 2,535
  well i've ordered the velour beyerdynamic pads...hope they help

i'm not using the senn hd650..wow what a contrast in sound:
of course one if closed and the senns are open.
...the senns almost sound 'mehish' a bit compared to the sonys.

now to give more info: i'm also only hooking the senn to my new dragonfly red from my laptop.
think they need more juice to bring out their flavours: so will try later on once my chord mojo arrives.
..will also try them on my iFi micro IDSD (hear the dac/amp is that is pretty great for its size) and
also my newly tweaked mapletree ear+ HD tube amp.

however i love it that the sonys are sooooo easy to drive:
with the dragonfly red from my laptop they only need 8-12% of sound level before they get really loud
vs 25-30% on the senn 650s.

this all said: anyone tried the new audeze sines side by side with these sonys?
alway interesting to try new things as tech evolves.

I put on the Beyer Velour pads and was surprised how much they changed the sound for the better in just the right places as I only originally got them to give my ears more room between the driver touching them which happened with the stock pads shallower depth and getting warm another factor.

For me the Beyer pads just lent to the bass been slightly more enhanced in a positive way with slightly airier sound stage and actually took a little treble edginess away not that there was too much of it with these headphones not like the Z1000 cousin cans were.

I'm glad I went with the Beyer pads, quite a tight fit though but worth the elbow grease getting them on from my experience. 

Please update when you get them whether for worse or better ; )

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #2,287 of 2,535
  agree the velour beyer pads changed the sound sig all for the better for me too in addition to making them completely comfortable to wear all day.

despite these being easy to drive...it'll be fun experimenting how sound may (or may not) change
when i'm try them thru various amps:
dragonfly red (current pairing)
the iFi micro,
chord mojo
newly tweaked mad ear+ HD tube amp

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,289 of 2,535
well tried those beyerdynamic pads....didn't fit afterall....sending them back.

btw my bud, who once had a US$70k hifi system tried these cans out and loved them.
so i guess compared to the newer technologies out there, given their price point,
they still do well...even as a backup or portable pair.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,290 of 2,535
  well tried those beyerdynamic pads....didn't fit afterall....sending them back.

btw my bud, who once had a US$70k hifi system tried these cans out and loved them.
so i guess compared to the newer technologies out there, given their price point,
they still do well...even as a backup or portable pair.

I got my Beyer pads from Beyer and I think it was a slightly different model then what you pointed to. Just DT250, not V.  They do fit very tight so perhaps you just didn't wrestle with them long enough or they changed them slightly.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2,291 of 2,535

I got my Beyer pads from Beyer and I think it was a slightly different model then what you pointed to. Just DT250, not V.  They do fit very tight so perhaps you just didn't wrestle with them long enough or they changed them slightly.

yup that is probably it...wasn't in a 'tug of war' sort of mood

i thought the 'v' just stood for velour, however

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #2,292 of 2,535

might be right... maybe try ordering them off the Beyer website, that is where I ordered them from.  Who knows what they sent on amazon could have been a knock-off, but yeah you have to be willing to fight them a little but once they are on they fit perfectly.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #2,293 of 2,535
Jul 12, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,294 of 2,535
So the Switchcraft 35HD locking mini plug is compatible?  That's great to know for those who build their own cables.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,295 of 2,535
I've been combing through this thread for comparisons of the MDR-7520 to the MDR-Z7. The impressions are mixed and seem to focus primarily on tonality. I have a question on the technicalities of the 7520 compared to the Z7. I've owned the Z7 twice. I bought it a second time because I came to distrust my memory of the headphone. Something had put me off, but I'd never nailed down exactly what that was. For example, soundstaging, imaging and tonality (for the most part) were all acceptable. During my second round with the headphone, I came to realize that -- to my ears, at least -- the Z7 has a sort of veiled sound, or an indistinct transient response. In any case, it sounded a bit muffled. The result was that the Z7 lacked -- again, to my ears -- a necessary measure of clarity. I don't think one needs to share my estimation of the Z7 to answer my question, viz. does the 7520 have a clearer signature than the Z7? Does it have a sharper transient response than the Z7? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back