Sony MDR-7520
Dec 10, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #391 of 2,535
  I honestly don't remember, it certainly wasn't as obvious as the difference in bass response.

I own both of these, and can confirm that the Z1000 sounds a bit brighter -
though not "bright" by any means.

I'd really rather say that the 7520 sounds darker.

The Z1000's do some things better than the 7520's;
the 7520's do some things better than the Z1000's.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #392 of 2,535
7520 vs 7510... does anybody know if they share the exact same earpads and headband?
To me it seems that the 7510 is using plastic in the headband and the earpads are more coarse pleather and therefore probably stiffer. But I expect the parts are interchangeable.
Anyone with hands on experience?

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #393 of 2,535
The 7520's pads are much higher quality than the 7510's. It may be possible to swap the pads over between them.
The 7520 uses a magnesium construction, the 7510 are plastic.
The drivers are completely different in both. The 7520 uses an LCP diaphragm, the 7510 uses PET.

They may look similar, but the headphones are very different from one another.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #395 of 2,535
Well I can really say with full confidence now that after having owned and listened to these for almost 2 months now, I absolutely love these 7520 headphones :) And they're definitely a keeper. Comfortable and great SQ.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #396 of 2,535
I have been looking for a pair of headphones to use with my Ibasso DX50 and JDS Labs C5. During my search I tried the H6, Momentum (over ear), P7, and the MDR 7520. These all paired very well with the DX50/C5.
Most of you are probably familiar with each of these headphones sound qualities so no need to bore everyone with a description of each. In my opinion they are all excellent headphones. In order of my preference: (1) MDR 7520, (2) H6 (3) P7 (4) momentum. Everything was returned except the 7520.
I honestly didn’t know a thing about the 7520. In fact I never heard of it until I ended up seeing a review by someone in this forum. After reading every thread in this forum I purchased a pair and I’m glad I did. These are amazing headphones. To find a “sleeper” like the Sony is a great find. They have impressed everyone who has listened to these through my DX50. To me these are the perfect match! I don’t understand why their aren’t more reviews on these headphones.
darthsmile.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #397 of 2,535
Just got a 7520 from B&H yesterday. I only have 20 or so hours of use so far, but I think the sound is very pleasing. Less analytical than I expected from all the reviews. There is a lot of detail, but it does not sound cold at all. At first I thought the bass definition was not that good, but the low frequencies have tightened up quite a bit.

Very impressed with these, especially compared to my K701 straight out of a Sony XA3ES CD player. The 7520 more than holds its own. The K701 has wider soundstage (surprisingly not by much),  better instrument separation (again, not by much), tighter bass definition (but this could still improve on the 7520), and very slightly more detailed mids. These differences are more than made up for by the 7520's much better tonal balance and far more natural and pleasant highs.

Some reviews pointed out the raised lows, but I think the lows rarely get overpowering or boomy. On some songs, the bass is quite nicely tucked in its place. I think the 7520 reproduces how the song was recorded more faithfully than a lot of other headphones.

Sounds great from my cell phone, and sounds great at home. So far, very happy with these.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #398 of 2,535
 The 7520 more than holds its own. The K701 has wider soundstage (surprisingly not by much), 

Surprised about this. One of the things I can't get used to with the 7520 is how "in your head" it is. It's so detailed and defined but its so pact in. It reminds me of Etymotic iems, really, except with quantity of bass. I kind of get fatigued listening to the 7520 because of how demanding it can be. I think it would be great as a studio monitor when someone is trying to analyze. But for just listening, I like something less demanding. Sure, less demanding can be less awe-inspiring, but sometimes having less detail in a bigger space is better. just my opinion. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #399 of 2,535

Surprised about this. One of the things I can't get used to with the 7520 is how "in your head" it is. It's so detailed and defined but its so pact in. It reminds me of Etymotic iems, really, except with quantity of bass. I kind of get fatigued listening to the 7520 because of how demanding it can be. I think it would be great as a studio monitor when someone is trying to analyze. But for just listening, I like something less demanding. Sure, less demanding can be less awe-inspiring, but sometimes having less detail in a bigger space is better. just my opinion. 

Hi imackler, it could very well be the limitations of my CD player's DAC/headphone amp section. It probably can't take advantage of the K701's capabilities like dedicated DAC/amps can, so what I'm hearing may not be K701's true soundstage.

But compared to other closed headphones I've used, I don't find 7520 to sound "in your head." The K701 definitely sounds more speaker-like, though, being open.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #400 of 2,535

Hi imackler, it could very well be the limitations of my CD player's DAC/headphone amp section. It probably can't take advantage of the K701's capabilities like dedicated DAC/amps can, so what I'm hearing may not be K701's true soundstage.

But compared to other closed headphones I've used, I don't find 7520 to sound "in your head." The K701 definitely sounds more speaker-like, though, being open.

I think they open up considerably out of good source, I was expecting much more closed in presentation, was pleasantly surprised, but sure I'd love something that sound as spacious as HD800.
Bass is golden on those, and it will tighten up even more after use, I was overwhelmed by it out of the box as well.
Thanks to starfly and other contributors to this thread for bringing head-fi's attention to this hidden gem.
Funny, if you read Jude's holiday guides, he was always saying that 7520 is his all time favorite closed phones. But he's never very vocal about his likings and dislikings. 
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #401 of 2,535
I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a long time. I've been a pro audio engineer for 10 years - live sound & recording.
I just got a pair of 7520s and they sound fantastic. Very warm, deep sound but still incredibly accurate & detailed.
The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that they're not fully closed back phones. They have small vents on the back sides of the ear cups that allow a fair amount of your sound to bleed out into the room. They still keep room noise out quite well. These may not be the best option for tracking/overdubbing or if you need to mix silently so as to not bother others near you. Also, if you're taking these as general listeners on a trip, you may bother other passengers around you.
They're not truly open back phones either - sort of a hybrid.

Again, they sound fantastic, but this detail shouldn't be overlooked.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #402 of 2,535
The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that they're not fully closed back phones. They have small vents on the back sides of the ear cups that allow a fair amount of your sound to bleed out into the room. They still keep room noise out quite well. These may not be the best option for tracking/overdubbing or if you need to mix silently so as to not bother others near you. Also, if you're taking these as general listeners on a trip, you may bother other passengers around you.

At normal listening levels for me, I don't find this to be the case. I turned these up a bit louder than I would normally listen to and gently pushed the cups together (just enough to create a seal) and could barely hear anything leaking, even within a foot of the headphones.

At loud levels (louder than I can stand to listen to) you can definitely hear some sound leaking out though, and it's very possible that my "normal" is another person's "too quiet". I have rather sensitive hearing.

It's good to hear impressions from a few new users though, especially the comparison with the H6, P7, and Momentums.

Are you used to open headphones? Because for closed headphones, the 7520 seem to have a respectable sound stage. Maybe not the widest, but they don't seem too "closed in" to me.

If you use a PC for playback, there are VST plugins which can really open up the headphones.

The problem is that when you are listening with a sealed/isolated headphone, there is no crossfeed between the left and right channels. A sound sent to the left channel is only heard in the left ear.

If you are listening to speakers or, to a lesser extent, open headphones, you get sound in your left ear and then after a short delay, it also hits your right ear.

I find Redline Monitor to be the best solution for this - unlike a lot of plugins which try to simulate speakers in a room, it can be configured to still sound like headphones, restoring the crossfeed in a natural way. This makes any headphone sound more "open" and improves positioning without sounding artificial, because all it's doing is restoring the auditory cues that are lost when listening to closed/sealed headphones, rather than being a fake "sound expander" effect. I use it with all my headphones - not just the MDR-7520.

If you want a hardware solution, there is the SPL Phonitor, though I don't have experience with it. The original model was not really suited to low impedance headphones, but I think the Phonitor 2 is. Their crossfeed is not as advanced as digital signal processing is capable of though.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #403 of 2,535
I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a long time. I've been a pro audio engineer for 10 years - live sound & recording.
I just got a pair of 7520s and they sound fantastic. Very warm, deep sound but still incredibly accurate & detailed.

These are bass ports, most closed phones feature them in one form or another. I think one should listen at ear bleeding level to make them leak out significantly thought these ports.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #405 of 2,535
hey, @ Imackler
You should try to listen through the VST-AU plugin " Isone " by toneboosters
Really tweakable and efficient IMHO
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back