Sony MDR-7520
Apr 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,366 of 2,535
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway!
I know that the Z1000 and 7520 sound different, but why? I think the pads are slightly different which could make a small difference, but there must be more to it than that. Do they use different drivers, or are the drivers 'tuned' differently in some way?

Someone did an analysis on this a while back, perhaps even in this thread, or it could have been a different website. But yes, the drivers are tuned differently and they're also physically different. The drivers use some white material (don't know what type of material it is) and I believe the thickness of this material varies between the 7520 and the Z1000. Also there is a little hole (perhaps a bass port?) in this white material, which is larger on the 7520 vs. the Z1000. So the drivers are physically different and hence sound different.

May 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #1,368 of 2,535
hi guys..

Any comparisons made between 7520 vs a Yamaha HPH-MT220 b4? 
A close fight or a walkover for either one? 

May 7, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #1,369 of 2,535
  hi guys..

Any comparisons made between 7520 vs a Yamaha HPH-MT220 b4? 
A close fight or a walkover for either one? 

Search this thread. I believe someone made some comparisons in this thread.

May 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,371 of 2,535
Just got these a few days ago. So far, I'm impressed. If anyone from CONUS claims he's/she's chucking the cable, please tell me. I might want it. :) Also applies to the Z-1000 cable. I have to say, I'm rather incredulous that someone in this thread just decided to chuck the cable. It isn't inherently bad because it's coiled.

As for the headphones themselves. Wow. Not sure I have anything new to say about them. I'm very happy with them.

May 11, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,372 of 2,535
cable was of no use to me... is way too heavy and cumbersome for portable use which is my designated use for this headphone.  Instead I bought a $4 cheap light and short 4' cable off amazon that works great.  sounds the same, only thing I wish is it had the threaded connector on it since it has come undone on me a few times already when it gets snagged on something.  perhaps that isn't such a bad thing though.

May 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,373 of 2,535
  cable was of no use to me... is way too heavy and cumbersome for portable use which is my designated use for this headphone.  Instead I bought a $4 cheap light and short 4' cable off amazon that works great.  sounds the same, only thing I wish is it had the threaded connector on it since it has come undone on me a few times already when it gets snagged on something.  perhaps that isn't such a bad thing though.

Certainly not a great cable for portability, but I really like it as a studio cable; it's wonderfully robust. Just curious: if you planned on throwing the cable away, why didn't you scavenge its connector? Again, I love the cable; I'm considering taking some unwanted stock cables if anyone is willing. I use the shorter cable that comes with those budget Monoprice cans; it actually works really well.

May 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,374 of 2,535
Had my pair for about a week now and i'm very satisfied with them. I've searched for quite a while to find a set of cans that tick all the boxes and so far the 7520 has come the closest. Fantastic sound signature, sturdy build, comfortable and a detachable cable. The stock coiled cable seems very durable and is excellent for use at my desktop. For portable use i just use my old red beats by dre monster cable which works fine and looks alright imo. I also dont mind that it can pop out if pulled, i'd rather that happen than it stay in and possibly damage the actual socket on the headphones.

May 12, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,375 of 2,535

Certainly not a great cable for portability, but I really like it as a studio cable; it's wonderfully robust. Just curious: if you planned on throwing the cable away, why didn't you scavenge its connector? Again, I love the cable; I'm considering taking some unwanted stock cables if anyone is willing. I use the shorter cable that comes with those budget Monoprice cans; it actually works really well.

I hadn't thought of it at the time nor would I be able to reuse the connector without it looking like junk.  The connector is over-molded so you would have to splice into the cable of it.  Would end up with shrink wrap on top of shrink wrap.

May 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,376 of 2,535
I found a weird "psychological" solution for the threaded connector problem. If you buy a size 000 (less than 1/2-inch outer diameter, the smallest available size) beveled faucet washer, you can file or bore out the inside until it's just wide enough to push down onto the threads and "thread" it on (even though it's unthreaded, just rubber). Of course, you have to swab the filed washer thoroughly inside and out with alcohol and then water to get rid of rubber dust--you wouldn't want that getting in the connector itself. The washer then will be the right inner-diameter and outer-diameter, but will be a little too high, so you can do one of two things. You can rub it back and forth on fine sandpaper until you wear the bottom off (or the top, as you like) and it's the same height as the 7520 connector, or you can try to widen the inner diameter of the part that extends above the 7520's connector when the washer's "threaded" on. In the first case, the top of the washer will then be flush with the end of the connector, and any 1/8" plug will just sit on top. In the second case, you'll have a sort of extended part of the washer that fits tightly around your 1/8" plug housing (provided it's not a really wide one). In either case, it looks a whole lot nicer than having those threads open, and all that space around them where they stick out from the 7520s. And it gets rid of the problem--out of sight, out of mind (hence the "psychological" aspect of the solution). A beveled faucet washer (size 000, sometimes called 1/8 for some unknown reason) is about 20 or 30 cents from Ace Hardware. Home Depot doesn't seem to have this size, and they don't sell them individually anyway. But at Ace they even have a few colors. Here are some pictures of size 000 beveled faucet washers (sometimes called beveled Bibb washers). The black ones in the photo below don't look too nice, but the ones at Ace were beautiful, just like the white ones pictured here, and I swear they look like they're a manufactured part of the 7520s when you put them on. At Ace they have a section of little plastic drawers in the plumbing area, where you can buy just one, like I said 20 cents. Best of all they're faucet washers, so maybe they'll help with any leakage problems you have with your headphones. (ha ha...).

https://img2.activant-inet.com/coop/ace/image/g4071965.jpg
http://www.midlandhardware.com/assets/images/products/795153.jpg
http://www.midlandhardware.com/assets/images/products/120369.jpg

May 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,377 of 2,535
  Had my pair for about a week now and i'm very satisfied with them. I've searched for quite a while to find a set of cans that tick all the boxes and so far the 7520 has come the closest. Fantastic sound signature, sturdy build, comfortable and a detachable cable. The stock coiled cable seems very durable and is excellent for use at my desktop. For portable use i just use my old red beats by dre monster cable which works fine and looks alright imo. I also dont mind that it can pop out if pulled, i'd rather that happen than it stay in and possibly damage the actual socket on the headphones.

+1 
Congrats 
beerchug.gif
, I am sure you will get to like them even more, I own them for about 5 months and I am still amazed by some qualities these cans have.

May 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,378 of 2,535
+1 - i am always impressed by them too, especially considering their weight and efficiency.  they always bring out something in the music i have never heard before.  and they can be fully powered without an amp, straight into my ipod.

May 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,379 of 2,535
Well, I'll add my +1 too :) Still love these cans, especially since I was able to get rid of any creakiness with my low-tech mod :) I love all the detail these cans have.

The only other cans I might get down the road is a pair of open cans, such as a Philips Fidelio X1 or Sennheiser HD600/650. But as far as closed cans are concerned, my search is done :)

May 14, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #1,380 of 2,535
  I hadn't thought of it at the time nor would I be able to reuse the connector without it looking like junk.  The connector is over-molded so you would have to splice into the cable of it.  Would end up with shrink wrap on top of shrink wrap.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that!

Now I just have to get rid of this creaking. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back