Sony MDR-7520
Apr 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,351 of 2,535
  Nope, the Z1000 doesn't sound the same as the 7520. They're distinctly different (I've listened to both). The bass is very rolled off on the Z1000, which is the biggest difference between the two. Testing the Z1000 will not really give you an impression of how the 7520 sounds. The mids and highs might be somewhat similar, but that's about it.

That's what scares me now, I listened to some Z1000 at a store in Tokyo, plugged them into my iPhone, and the treble was so bright that it was practically shrill. I couldn't stand it, and took them off right away. Is this really what the 7520 treble is like? If so…no thanks!

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,352 of 2,535

That's what scares me now, I listened to some Z1000 at a store in Tokyo, plugged them into my iPhone, and the treble was so bright that it was practically shrill. I couldn't stand it, and took them off right away. Is this really what the 7520 treble is like? If so…no thanks!

I didn't find the treble particularly hot or peaky. The bass was gorgeous too - probably the best I've heard out of a non-planar dynamic design. Their imaging was a bit narrowed/small (read: intimate), but their general tonal balance was pretty great. Add to that their fit and build quality and they are a really good headphone.

I have returned them because of the sibilance problems though :frowning2:  I found that the 7520's sibilance was fine if you listened at extremely low volumes - on my Leckerton on low gain, that's between 7:45 (just past the channel imbalance level) to 8:30. On my pair, if you got above that, it became far too punishing and fatiguing. I'm probably just really sensitive to it. 

My next stop on the portable express: I picked up an silver/brown MDR-1R yesterday and going to Dynamat/Polyfill mod them this weekend to tame and tighten their bass. I'll miss the 7520's build - that magnesium frame was just pitch perfect. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,353 of 2,535
I think I may have finally solved all the creaking issues, permanently. The solution is rather simple. I bought some jute twine and tied that around the part where the earcups attach to the hinge (on the outside). I suspected that the hinge at that part was slightly loose and that no amount of lubrication could end the creaking. This solution stiffens it up significantly, which makes it less easy to move around and it almost completely eliminates any creakiness, even when moving my jaw while eating something.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,355 of 2,535
  Thanks for the heads up, starfly.

Sure, no prob. It's the only major gripe I had with the headphone, the creakiness. Now that I seem to have solved that I'm enjoying them much more, since now I don't have to keep my head completely still anymore.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,357 of 2,535
  is there no way to remove those pins and put a proper o-ring or bushing in there?

I haven't tried doing that yet, so far I'm quite happy with my low tech solution :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,358 of 2,535
  Nope, the Z1000 doesn't sound the same as the 7520. They're distinctly different (I've listened to both). The bass is very rolled off on the Z1000, which is the biggest difference between the two. Testing the Z1000 will not really give you an impression of how the 7520 sounds. The mids and highs might be somewhat similar, but that's about it.

I'm not convinced that the bass is "very" rolled off on the Z1000's.
It's plenty there (though as always there are FR charts purporting
to show differently).

I've had the Z1000's for over a year, and the 7520's nearly that long,
and overall I've come to like the Z1000's more.  Smoother, more coherent, slightly
more detailed.  The 7520's do have substantially 'more' bass, and they're
both superb headphones.

But, as starfly posted > [...] the Z1000 doesn't sound the same as the 7520. They're distinctly different [...]

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,359 of 2,535
Cable project is moving along. Here's the Calrad connector, with the metal housing cut and filed so as not to be obtrusive. Also, the Fostex cable with shrink tube prepared for all eventualities, an accordian strain relief cannibalized from a bad cable, and part of a pen cap as a spacer for it to fit flush with the housing once it's put together.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,360 of 2,535
  Cable project is moving along. Here's the Calrad connector, with the metal housing cut and filed so as not to be obtrusive. Also, the Fostex cable with shrink tube prepared for all eventualities, an accordian strain relief cannibalized from a bad cable, and part of a pen cap as a spacer for it to fit flush with the housing once it's put together.

Wow looks very nice... do you mind making one for me too? Interested in 4' light weight cable for on the go.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,361 of 2,535
That was my only problem with them and why it was a no go.  You would think Sony would fix this issue seeing these are supposed to be pro gear.
  Sure, no prob. It's the only major gripe I had with the headphone, the creakiness. Now that I seem to have solved that I'm enjoying them much more, since now I don't have to keep my head completely still anymore.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,362 of 2,535
Wow looks very nice... do you mind making one for me too? Interested in 4' light weight cable for on the go.

Thanks. And it does look nice, but it was all for naught. My soldering skills aren't the best, my iron stinks, and I wasn't able to do it. It came out looking great, it's true, but sound was weighted towards the left. So after hours and hours I just ripped the damn connector back off. Screw it. I'm not investing in new soldering iron, or spending anymore time on it. I'm out of patience with it despite having enjoyed the challenge. I'll save the connector for future use, maybe. But my message to Sony involves a whole string of four letter words. And whoever gets chummy with the guy who designed the 7520's (his name's in this thread somewhere if I recall) can pass it on!

[The creakiness] was my only problem with them and why it was a no go.  You would think Sony would fix this issue seeing these are supposed to be pro gear.

I'll add another no-go reason: the utter impossiblity of finding a replacement cord or a workable solution if you want to take advantage of the locking connector. They should use the following line in their 7520 promotion materials:

"The Sony MDR-7520 features a locking cable mechanism that is compatible with nothing you will be able to find, anywhere on earth! And we have discontinued the replacement cable for this and the Z1000, so you won't get one from us either! The 7520, from Sony!"

I love these headphones, I really do, and in the end the cable doesn't really need to lock. I guess I'll just get a V-Moda cable like someone recommended to me a while back, and go back to enjoying them. I shoulda listened to the person who said that, and not wasted my time and money trying to make a locking cable.

Aahhhhhhh!!!! :wink:

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,364 of 2,535
I think you were wiser than me, FM!

Also, GD: As you see from the above results, I'm not the guy to be making cables for people. But I'd be glad to cut and file the connector housing for you and pop it back in the mail if you want. I did that part very well. PM me if you want.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #1,365 of 2,535
But, as starfly posted > [...] the Z1000 doesn't sound the same as the 7520. They're distinctly different [...]

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway!
I know that the Z1000 and 7520 sound different, but why? I think the pads are slightly different which could make a small difference, but there must be more to it than that. Do they use different drivers, or are the drivers 'tuned' differently in some way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back