Sony MDR-7506 vs Shure SRH840
Jun 23, 2010 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rusitnpiece

Head-Fier
I have both the Sony MDR-7506 and the Shure SRH840 headphones.

I am interested to get other peoples opinions on the two.

Both have been used for more than 150 hours.

I strangely prefer the Sonys for listening to vocal and R&B. I think these produce a more pleasing open sound. I have head people complain about the 7506s being harsh but i would say the increased high frequency performance adds more depth. Another thing i have heard on a couple of occasions is that the Shure SRH840's are better at dealing with low frequencies which i find is not the case for me. Remember This is im my opinion.

I  was considering writing a review comparing the two sets but wanted to hear opinions back before hand. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 17
Why not write up your views prior to getting opinions in order to help stay objective?  I'd love to read your comparison.

I don't have the 7506, but I do have the 7509HD and it is no slouch!  Does not get much mention here on head-fi, but it probably should.

BK

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 17
I just wondered if there was something I am missing as well as gauging weather or not there would be much interest in a comparison between the two. 

It would be nice to know what genres people want covered and what aspects they want me to look at when writing a comparison.

I have no reason to be biased or persuaded so I think its safe to ask before hand.

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 17
Comparisons are always welcome! The more aspects of these two headphones you can cover, the better! Same for genres.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 17
Just in the process of putting my headphone amp together. Once this is done i will do a comparison with as many music genres as possible. I will keep you posted.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 17
I have the MDR-V6 and certainly like them, though I haven't heard the Shures...

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
BTw...which headphone amp are you using? 

Im currently using one of my old pioneer stereo amplifiers. Building a CMoy headphone amp at the moment and looking to get a USB DAC as all my music is played from my netbook.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 17
bit of an update. I'm still in the process of getting a headphone amp but now have a Pro-ject USB DAC

I am now preferring the Shure's. Vocals although more laid back have more depth. Vocals on the Sony's tend to sound a bit thin in comparison. Lower frequencies are also handled better with the introduction of the DAC. More to come soon :) Any questions feel free to ask.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I don't have the 7506, but I do have the 7509HD and it is no slouch!  Does not get much mention here on head-fi, but it probably should.

BK

I have had all three, and would rank the 7509HD as my very clear preference, then the SRH840, then the 7506. I agree that the 7509HD should get more attention. I have several studio headphones, and it is the best of the bunch in my opinion.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Is it better than the Beyer dt250....flatter/more neutral...better detail retrieval?

That is a hard call, and I cheated by putting the beyer in a different category in my mind somehow from the other three when I made that statement. The DT 250 I find is more slanted towards the lower frequencies and has a flatter soundstage. The 7509HD has a more forward and airy presentation generally, which unfortunately does mean that the highs can get a tiny bit edgy with some recordings, something which is never true with the DT 250. I put the detail retrieval of the 7509HD as slightly better, perhaps attributable to the more pronounced mids and highs. The 7509HD is also much easier to drive, and I use it with my touch, which I would never do with the DT 250. I love them both, but I probably do prefer the 7509HD by a very little bit overall, at this point in time anyway.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 17
Thanks much for the comparison. Sound on Sound Mag. did a shoot out of various studio headphones, and for the closed cans, the 7509HD came out on top, with the Beyer close behind. BTW, I don't find them slanted towards the low end even though they have plenty of mid bass. They sound a bit bright to me, otherwise. Both cans came out ahead of the Shure 840 and the m50. 

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Thanks much for the comparison. Sound on Sound Mag. did a shoot out of various studio headphones, and for the closed cans, the 7509HD came out on top, with the Beyer close behind. BTW, I don't find them slanted towards the low end even though they have plenty of mid bass. They sound a bit bright to me, otherwise. Both cans came out ahead of the Shure 840 and the m50. 

Personally, I'm not surprised. I've always found it surprising that an engineer would use the SRH840 or the ATH-M50, given that they seem a little "colored" to my ears. The 7509HD and the DT 250 would seem much better for that, but since I'm not a studio rat, what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back