Sony MDR-7506 - is this a fake? Inconclusive results, please help.
Nov 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

I g o r

100+ Head-Fier

Hello everyone! It's my first post and I'm sorry to give you another "is this fake?" thread. But since my results are inconclusive, I need help from you guys.

I'm a musician (bass player) and I love high quality audio, but don't have many equipment. I own a UE Triple.fi for two years and I like it very much. I needed a circumaural headphone and decided for the Sony 7506 since a long time ago I tested one and pleased me very much. The other options I had were only the AKG K240 MKII but I don't like it very much.

Well, lurking around Head-Fi I encountered a lot of threads about Sony 7506 fakes so I opened my eyes before buying and looked for a reputable dealer and ran away from eBay and other people selling 7506's a lot cheaper and swearing they were originals.

I gathered a few information about the other fakes and compared them to mine. A lot of details about original ones match my headphone, but a few others don't. That's why my results are inconclusive.

Let's get to it:

75061.jpg

The band has enough pressure so that the cups touch each other and stay like that; the fakes don't have enough pressure to hold the cups together. The inside of the band doesn't have bumps like the fake ones; maybe slightly a few small ones on the edges, but I've seen that on legitimate V6 pictures on this forum. The stitching is well done and tight, with no flaws.

Looks legit.

75062.jpg

The outer cup central part is made of aluminum, the lettering is perfect and the Professional sticker is well made with "Professional" centered. The transition between the gold and blue parts are right below the A letter in "DYNAMIC". The transition on the fakes is around the M and I letters; the fakes also have Professional written slightly off center.

Looks legit.

750603.jpg

This is where it starts to get weird. The sticker on the left side is very tilted.

That's the first sign I noticed on the fakes. Maybe it's original but the assembler was in a bad day? Would Sony let this go through QC unnoticed?

Inconclusive.

750604.jpg

Although the Studio Monitor lettering is very well made, two details pop out. First, the lettering is thinner than others I have seen in pictures. Second, the writing is slightly tilted, very slightly so that most people wouldn't notice, but I did.

The fakes I've seen have very thick letters and usually are very tilted.

Inconclusive.

750605.jpg

The band detents are well made, with aligned numbers. One thing I noticed and others didn't mention on the forum, is that the number 1 detent is different than others, being larger. I've seen original 7506's pictures and I noticed that too. The fake pictures I've seen, they are all equal.

Looks legit.

750606.jpg

The driver cover grill looks like polished stainless steel, like the originals. The fakes look dull.

Looks legit.

750607.jpg

In another thread the OP said he tried to stick a piece of metal to the center and it would only stick on the borders of the grill, and his was a fake. Mine sticks to the center with no effort.

Looks legit.

750608.jpg

Let's take a look inside. The soldering and wiring is very well done, nothing suspicious here. I've never seen others inside, but it looks like a good job here. Not usually what one would find inside a fake, which is usually very ugly inside.

Looks legit.

750609.jpg

Another picture of the inside, with more exposure to see the plastic and cabling details inside the cups. Very well made. Looks legit.

750623.jpg

750624.jpg

The pouch has a white Sony logo, very well printed and sharp. The fakes seem to have black logo embossed.

The quality of the pouch is very good, with no flaws at all. Stitching is very straight, looking like it was made on an automated sewing machine. The nylon cord ends are burned so that they don't get fussy, nice detail.

Looks legit.

750610.jpg

The box looks very good, with thick blue borders and sharp letters on the outside. I can feel the lettering on the tips of my fingers. The Professional lettering is good and centered, and can be felt from the inside. The fakes don't have this thick blue border and the lettering is usually thicker.

Looks legit.

Overall the box looks just like the original ones posted on Head-Fi. All details match, including the "C 1994 Sony Corporation and 4-951-613-22 ", the placement of the writings on the sides and a small detail I didn't see anyone mention. On the bottom of the box there's ">PP< 4-942-609-" and it's printed on the inside of the plastic cover. I've seen that only on originals, never on a fake.

750611.jpg

750612.jpg

750614.jpg

The ">PP< 4-942-609-" detail. Looks legit.

750613.jpg

The bar code however, is a sticker. Very well aligned with the edge of the box. They're the kind of sticker that has cuts on the borders to prevent sticking out and again on something else.

The other members who posted about the bar code, says it's printed on the box.

Inconclusive.

Curious fact: below the bar code there's a sticker I've never seen on others. It says New Material, has two codes and says Polyurethane Foam. If it's legit, looks like Sony changed the foam pad material, and the sticker is to advise that. The sticker is very well made and has very sharp letters. I don't think counterfeiters would make a sticker like that, out of the blue?

Inconclusive.

750615.jpg

The inside of the box is very good. There's a plastic film that covers the headphone. The fakes don't have this plastic. Looks legit.

750616.jpg

The back of the headphone 'cradle' is well made, and the fabric is glued to the borders. The fakes are not glued and is all sloppy there. Looks legit.

750617.jpg

The back of the box is very well printed and sharp. Definitely doesn't look like the photocopied fakes.

The "C 1994 Sony Corporation" and 4-951-613-22 both match the original.

Looks legit.

750618.jpg

The manual is well printed but is difficult to judge since it's a very old style of technical drawing.

750619.jpg

The back part (manual) is folded and inside there's a stamp. I don't think counterfeiters would care about doing such a small detail.

750620.jpg

750621.jpg

The warranty card looks great, with heavy paper, well folded and very sharp letters with excellent printing. The writing on it matches the original. It came inside the box between the technical drawing and the front housing, just where the original ones are supposed to. It says "Printed in Japan"

The fakes have thinner paper, different writing on the back and come inside with the cord.

750622.jpg

One last detail that got me in doubt. The cord came wrapped in just one bag and with transparent tape on the tip. The originals come double bagged and with yellow tape.

Inconclusive.

The sound: it sounds really good, with prominent mids and highs. The bass is really clear, when the songs are really good in this aspect. Overall, the bass is shy to the bassheads. Music sounds crisp and very detailed. Spacing is good, stereo separation is great. It really sounds like a real Sony 7506 and is actually way better than my Triple.fi which after trying the 7506, became V-shaped and lacking definition on the lows.

If this is a fake and you guys help me sort it out, I have only two more days to return and get my money back. So, please leave your comments here, I'll be very appreciated.

Thanks to you all!

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm going from a bit of memory, but it all looks familiarly legit to me.  The subtle packaging changes and barcode stickers probably don't mean much from my comparison since mine are 6 or more years old at this point.  I may have the box handy and can double check it later, but it all seems spot on, and I don't see anything worrysome about it. (Mine were from an authorized dealer, so definitely legit.)

In terms of sssssound quality, just go through your recordingssssss and sssssssee if any are sssssufficiently sssssibilant.  If sssssso, they're genuine! 
very_evil_smiley.gif
   Just kidding, but that's the one "flaw" they really have is they have he prominent upper mids that lead to some stark sibilance, especially in recordings that are a little on the hot side.  This is not different from DT880 and most studio oriented cans since it assists in identifying hot recordings. And 7506 is pretty linear aside from the treble shelf, so it can be EQ'd very well.

7506 is still a fantastic value.  Comfortable, though I hate how they don't fully fit around my ear...they're more "supracircumaural" than most.  But they're still my favorite closed backs.  No matter how bright they can be, they're still dark next to Ultrasone
evil_smiley.gif
  I still use the 7506 whenever I'm doing any editing/recording work.  They're small, rugged, accurate, and I can plug them into any monitor jack without a care!

There's a fun, weird nostalgia seeing a new post about the 7506's....  There was a time when they were a staple around here with tons of discussion.  It's nice seeing them appear again...I'm enjoying this
popcorn.gif

FWIW, if you haven't tried adding an amp to your TF.10's, even a cheapie portable amp like a Fiio E11, do so, you'll be surprised just how much they open up and how much more the bass can dig down.  They're still hugely V-shaped.  UE is the most V-shaped house sound I've yet to experience.  But they do sound far better when amped.  7506 is a much more neutral and accurate headphone all the way around though. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 10

Barry, thanks for the input.

IEMCrazy, thanks for the comments. They are indeed sibiliant to a good enough point, but nothing exaggerated that takes away the pleasure of listening to them. Like you said, it helps a lot when mixing. These 7506's also bring me nostalgia because I first knew about them in 2001 through a good friend, who now is living far away and I have lost contact with him.

The cans are getting burned in for around 30 hours now and they are getting better and better. I'm pretty sure they're legit now, but those intricacies about packaging and tilted labels kept me up at night. And my OCD doesn't let me tolerate those tilted stickers and I'll peel them off ASAP.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
They look real, and if they have the harsh treble then they have to be original.

It is harsh indeed but gets better after burn in.

Quote:
They look right, the sticker just looks like it wasn't put in "perfect" on the one side. That said, I understand the "fake paranoia" in owning headphones that are very commonly faked. Where did you buy these?

Yes the sticker got me paranoid, it's too bad to get those headaches while buying a headphone. I bought them through a respectable photography store in my country (Brazil).

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Hey igor! im from Brazil too! And i got the exactly the same headphone as you, same box and everything! i just bought today!
I bought from ML, i was a bit nervous, panic! i got the same sticker "new material only"; the same transparent tape.
I really think that sony should review some of his products, make some counterfeits proofs..because is just getting harder to decifre if your headphone is legit or not.
Dammit!

you got PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back