sony mdr 1r vs sony mdr ex1000
Sep 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hertzamplifier

Head-Fier
first of all,i need fellow head-fiers to give your advice.ok,so the question is;is anyone here ever listened both of the mdr 1r and the ex1k?because I want to buy the mdr1r soon.I already have the mdr1k but i spoiled (the dynamic is gone and sound doesn't fun anymore) it by doing something stupid to it which I wouldn't tell unless asked:).from my experience with the mdr ex1k for just only about 2 weeks before I spoiled it,the sound was good.soundstage was great its like you sit in the middle of the band,the dynamic was very good I can hear instrument separation like the guitar is closer to you and the drum is further from you.althought sometimes the high can be somewhat piercing or people call it sibilance,the overall performance if the mdr ex1k was great.since im stupidly spoiled it then here once again I would like to buy new audio gear for my everyday listening and that is the mdr1r.so I would like to ask you guys out there who ever listened both of the iem/headphone to give your experience and differentiate beetween the two gears..like is the mdr1r has the same soundstage and dynamic or instrument seperation or sibilance like the mdr1k..your reply are greatly appriciated to help me making my desicion..thx..
(sorry for my english and my audio term and explanation since my 1st language isn't english and I'm not familiar with audiophile term and also I'm not an audiophile..hope you guys understand what I'm trying to deliver)

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 14
i have not heard of mdr 1r... but sounds like you like your ex1000.

if you want everything the best of mdr ex1000 without the piercing highs... check out the mdr 7550.

sony mdr 7550
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558083/sony-mdr-800st-review (Japan version of the same thing but different labeling)
www.head-fi.org/t/559335/quick-impression-sony-mdr-7550 www.head-fi.org/t/679045/review-sony-mdr-7550
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679045/review-sony-mdr-7550

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 14
I have both. Well the MDR 1 RBT.

The Ex1000s are great the best IEM ive got, but for them to sound like the MDR you need a really good seal and good sound source. I tend to use Comply Foam Tips, and then pipe that from Iphone into a Fiio amp then to headphones.

The MDRs are more forgiving and to be honest very good headphones, i also have momentums and Amperiors none of which come close to it.

The EX1000s are very clear some may say too crisp, but i like treble other warmth, the bass is very good also, but not as deep as the MDRs

Also bare in mind the EX1000 will be rare soon, and as some say probably one of the best IEMs of its form factor out, so maybe worth the purchase.

I do prefer the EX1000 just because they are more portable, but the MDRs are much more comfortable.

hope i helped a little :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 14
I have both. Well the MDR 1 RBT.

The Ex1000s are great the best IEM ive got, but for them to sound like the MDR you need a really good seal and good sound source. I tend to use Comply Foam Tips, and then pipe that from Iphone into a Fiio amp then to headphones.

The MDRs are more forgiving and to be honest very good headphones, i also have momentums and Amperiors none of which come close to it.

The EX1000s are very clear some may say too crisp, but i like treble other warmth, the bass is very good also, but not as deep as the MDRs

Also bare in mind the EX1000 will be rare soon, and as some say probably one of the best IEMs of its form factor out, so maybe worth the purchase.

I do prefer the EX1000 just because they are more portable, but the MDRs are much more comfortable.

hope i helped a little :)

thx..that's really helped..so you more prefer the ex1k because of portability right?because for me its really not an issue since im usually listening to music only when im stay still..so i dont mind about the portability..i more into their sound introduction..also the ex1k tend to wear my earcannal when listening for a long time.. sound wise,can you tell me more how do the mdr1r performs over the ex1k? you already tell the difference for bass and treble aspect..how about the 'dynamic' of the sound produce and the soundstage and other aspects if you don't mind?do they perform the same?thx..

oh..and you says that the ex1k need a good seal for the sound the sound to be like the mdr1r,so that's mean the mdr1r's sound are superior to 1k?

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 14
if your sat about then go MDR 1R.

Most people wear IEMs for portability and as always try to get near full size headphones, so if Poratblity isnt your issue then get the full size again.

What would be intreaging though is the new ones sony have coming the combo model of IEMs 

the MDR 1Rs are more dep and warm sounding, the Ex1000 are crisp highs and tight, with good bass if seals right

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 14
The MDR1R does not have sibilance.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 14
I bought the mdr1r last week and listen to them for a week now.
my impression after 1week of listening:

-overall the sound are warm like you said earlier.
-mid centric sounding.
-instrument separation are good
-definetly have soundstage but mostly I can't imagine the placement of the instrument compared to mdr ex1000 which is very good soundstage and instrument imaging.
-sound doesn't feel as intimate as the ex1000
-no ear piercing sibilance but also the high not as crisp as the ex1000.
-very comfortable,I can wear them all night while sleeping.

for me overall,
mdr ex1000 > mdr 1r
minus the sibilance and comfort for the mdr ex1000

do you think the sound will gets better after a period of listening session?now only played for 20 hours++..

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 14
I had the Sony MDR-1r for a couple of weeks and ended up returning it. It is an excellent headphone, was more refined than my Shure SRH-840, though I found the Shure far more comfortable, as well as better balanced for games, studio use and movies.

What really did them in though were my MDR-ex600. They were easily more dynamic than the MDR-R1. The bass on the ex600 went deeper and was better controlled. Really it made me appreciate the EX600 even further.

I can imagine your ex1000 is even better. I used to find the ex600 harsh, but either they've burned in or my mind has adapted as they are fine now.

Definitely stick with your ex1000. If you don't need the r1, return it and enjoy /invest into what you already have.

Edit: ah, just reread your original post and understand your ex1000 is dead. Consider MDR-7550 or even MDR-ex600 as they are very easy to drive out of a portable.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 14
I see..but the mdr-7550 isn't available at our local store and mdr ex600 I'm not really interested.waiting for the new sony iem series the xba H3 into market..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back