Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Mar 4, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #496 of 546
  Sounds like we both are fans of the 1RBT MK2. I ONLY used my MK2s in APTX mode and playing FLAC off my Note 4.. IMO, that is where the MK2 shines, when fed hi res audio/flac files across bluetooth from an aptx supporting source.

Also, like you, anything that Sony comes out with and states it is better, successor or upgrade to the MK2, THEY GOT ME!!
biggrin.gif

In the near future, I will be getting the 1ABT, the Senn M2 and the Def Tech, going to keep ONE of them..I never had a NC set of headphones, so the M2 and the Def Tech are going to be real interesting for me to test. The 1ABT doesn't have NC.. Will see on them too. BTW, my MK2 is not going anywhere no matter what else I get.. .
biggrin.gif

I used the SBC mode on my PC before i got my aptx dongle
redface.gif

But now, both my PC and Phone have aptx
biggrin.gif

What I'm curious about the 1ABT is the new LDAC codec.  Not sure if you would need a specific hardware for that or could be upgraded through software update.
I know that the Walkman NW-A16 and NW-A17 will get LDAC support through update in April, so i kinda hope LDAC support can be achieved too through Lollipop Update on my Phone (Xperia Z2) when it's out
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #497 of 546

redface.gif

biggrin.gif

What I'm curious about the 1ABT is the new LDAC codec.  Not sure if you would need a specific hardware for that or could be upgraded through software update.
I know that the Walkman NW-A16 and NW-A17 will get LDAC support through update in April, so i kinda hope LDAC support can be achieved too through Lollipop Update on my Phone (Xperia Z2) when it's out
rolleyes.gif

Nope, for what I know, Sony NW-ZX2, A16 and A17 are equipped with LDAC enabled chipset.

Sony has intentionally disabled LDAC support in A16 and A17 firmware because the driver were buggy or not ready.
More like they want people to buy the more pricier NW-ZX2 first in order to enjoy this feature.

I don;t think your Xperia Z2 was equipped with LDAC enabled chipset, so high likely you wouldn't be able to enjoy LDAC streaming even if you purchased MDR-1ABT.

Sony have not licensed LDAC technology to any other company yet, so LDAC streaming acceptance level will be only minority, or limit to Sony newer devices only. This also mean buying into MDR-1ABT will not be future prove, unless you're using Sony LDAC enabled devices.

From my many year of experiences, 1st generation of newer tech always not perfect, all might want to stay put and wait for the Sony next gen LDAC enabled headphone. 1ABT Mk2 or even Mk3?

Last but not least, higher battery consumption is expected on both side devices for streaming in LDAC high 990kbps bitrate mode.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #498 of 546

Nope, for what I know, Sony NW-ZX2, A16 and A17 are equipped with LDAC enabled chipset.

Sony has intentionally disabled LDAC support in A16 and A17 firmware because the driver were buggy or not ready.
More like they want people to buy the more pricier NW-ZX2 first in order to enjoy this feature.

I don;t think your Xperia Z2 was equipped with LDAC enabled chipset, so high likely you wouldn't be able to enjoy LDAC streaming even if you purchased MDR-1ABT.

Sony have not licensed LDAC technology to any other company yet, so LDAC streaming acceptance level will be only minority, or limit to Sony newer devices only. This also mean buying into MDR-1ABT will not be future prove, unless you're using Sony LDAC enabled devices.

From my many year of experiences, 1st generation of newer tech always not perfect, all might want to stay put and wait for the Sony next gen LDAC enabled headphone. 1ABT Mk2 or even Mk3?

Last but not least, higher battery consumption is expected on both side devices for streaming in LDAC high 990kbps bitrate mode.

Thanks for the explanation
biggrin.gif

Well, at least aptx is already good enough for my needs ^_^

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #499 of 546

redface.gif

biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif

My take on this, or should I say a novice's take on this!!
biggrin.gif

Right now, there is tough competition for who going to be the baddest(best)bluetooth headphone.

The three contenders, IMO, are:
Senn Momentum M2
Sony 1ABT
Definitive Technology Symphony 1

The Sony doesn't have ANC, and I think the reason for that, is to squeeze as much pure sound as possible out the headphones. Also, the addition of LDAC, is another booster for the Sony.

Whereas the other two, the M2 and the Def Tech have ANC..and I don't think they support  LDAC..

I plan on getting all 3, will return 2 of them. The one I keep will be the one that wins me over in all areas.. 

The Senn M2 is $499.99

The Sony and the Def Tech are $399.99

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #500 of 546
The Plantronics BackBeat Pro are probably the most technically advanced Bluetooth Headphones available owing to the following:
  1. Class 1 Bluetooth device with a 100m range...yes 10 times more than the usual 10m range!
  2. Simultaneous pairing with 2 iOS devices with intelligent profile switching. If you've tried doing this with a device that does usual 'multipoint' you will need an Android device.
  3. Active Noise Cancellation
  4. 24 Hr Battery life with ANC on!
  5. Talk/Pass through feature with noise amplification, so you don't have to take off the headphones to have a conversation
  6. Parrot Zik like play/pause sensor which turns off the cans when you take them off
  7. Wired option as well and sounds pretty good, unlike the Parrot Zik
  8. Near Field Communication (NFC)
  9. 2 yr Warranty in Australia/NZ in case you live down under
  10. They sound pretty great as well. I'm no audio engineer, but the sound is pretty expansive and scales really well.

The 2 or 3 negatives are that the sound is a little Bass heavy, the cans are a touch heavy at around 330gms and lastly, the ear cups are a bit on the smaller side, for an over ear pair.

I have the sony MDR-1RBTMK2 as well as the BackBeat Pro in addition to the wired Sony MDR-1RNCMK2 (amazing cans)

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Roop

I have to ask since you have both the plantronics bb pro and the sony mk2s, can you give a detailed description of sound quality of the 2 headsets. I have the backbeat pros and love them, but always wondered about the mk2. Thanks...

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #501 of 546
Does anybody know in what the MDR1RBTMK2CE differ from the normal MDR1RBTMK2?
In yodobashi.com I read that the MDR1RBTMK2CE is made for the overseas conformity.
I wonder anyway what did they change to meet those conformities.
Volume limit?

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #502 of 546
Bump!

Just want to keep this thread going.
biggrin.gif

I am a Mk2 fanboy, and I want to hear ALL the ins and outs on the 1RBT MK2.. So, keep it coming.

Anybody got the 1RBT MK2 and the new Senn M2 wireless?  

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #503 of 546
I have just purchased 1RBT MK2 from ebay after so many days of dilemma, I hope delivery will take atleast a week as Im from India, cant wait to receive it.. :)

Hope the sound quality is good without aptx, But I plan on modifying the phone with "Viper4android",

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

Its a audio effects plugin for android and I heard many positive reviews about it as it increases the sound quality substantially..Does anyone have any experience on that? 

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #504 of 546
  I have just purchased 1RBT MK2 from ebay after so many days of dilemma, I hope delivery will take atleast a week as Im from India, cant wait to receive it.. :)

Hope the sound quality is good without aptx, But I plan on modifying the phone with "Viper4android",

Its a audio effects plugin for android and I heard many positive reviews about it as it increases the sound quality substantially..Does anyone have any experience on that? 

I used to dabble in V4A quite abit but I haven't used it eversince I updated to Kitkat (which is quite awhile) and using Boeffla Sound. I've been using the 1RBT MK2 as is and even without aptx when connected to the PS Vita, it still sounds pretty good.

Do update if your headphone arrived and BT test with with V4A.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #505 of 546

IMO, if the headphone and the source support aptx,  aptx JUST allows the headphone to get more DATA,  therefore it can give better SQ.

Example, turbo engine, and same engine non-turbo The Non-turbo will not be as powerful as the turbo version..

Just my 2 cents

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #506 of 546
Any of you have same problem as I do with your MDR-1RBTs - left side inner cushion is touching my ear and it is driving me crazy. I have two 1RBTs and both do this.
No other headphones do this to me. Also, I have no idea how to prevent this or how to fix it, anyone got some idea?

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #507 of 546
  Any of you have same problem as I do with your MDR-1RBTs - left side inner cushion is touching my ear and it is driving me crazy. I have two 1RBTs and both do this.
No other headphones do this to me. Also, I have no idea how to prevent this or how to fix it, anyone got some idea?

You can try what they do with the yamaha mt220. You get something like cottom wool or foam or similar and pack it inside the cup between the earpad and driver. This will increase the earpad depth and could help solve comfort issues. You'll have to experiment with the amount to get it right.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #509 of 546

Signed up to post this (throwaway account). I had the same issue myself. You might know already but the MDR-7506's earpads fit on the MDR1RBT (I use the MK2's).

What I ended up doing as it was touching my ear the same as yours, I searched ebay for "7506 earpad", bought 3 or 4 (super cheap, 3-4$ each). A few of them were absolute garbage. One was a firm (much harder than the stock cups) but still squishy a bit. Putting these on fixed the issue, was still comfortable too.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back