Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Feb 5, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #467 of 546

The MK2 supports aptX codec.

Got it, thanks.

Does anyone know the earpad size of the MK2's (Inside)? I'm having trouble finding these sort of specs. Also--Is the general consensus to wait for the 1ABT's at this point, if for no other reason than to expect a price drop in the MK2's? 

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #468 of 546
  Got it, thanks.

Does anyone know the earpad size of the MK2's (Inside)? I'm having trouble finding these sort of specs. Also--Is the general consensus to wait for the 1ABT's at this point, if for no other reason than to expect a price drop in the MK2's? 

Outer Earpad Dimensions:
Height: 10cm (4")
Width: 7.5cm (3")

Inner Earpad Dimensions:
Height: 6.5cm (2.5")
Width: 3.5cm (1 3/5")

Also, try and hold off on the Mk2's if you can. The 1A is an upgrade (or supposed to be) an upgrade from the 1R series.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #469 of 546

Outer Earpad Dimensions:
Height: 10cm (4")
Width: 7.5cm (3")

Inner Earpad Dimensions:
Height: 6.5cm (2.5")
Width: 3.5cm (1 3/5")

Thanks a lot Nec3. The Backbeat Pro's ended up being closer to on-ear for (5.7cm inner earpad, circular) me than over-ear, so I think these will fit better based on those dimensions. 

Now the question becomes whether or not to wait for the 1ABT's or go with MK2's. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #470 of 546
  Got it, thanks.

IMO, that be a sweet deal to get a price drop on the MK2s.. I got mine for $309 + $25 shipping. 

Also, the MK2s has several other improvements over the 1RBT model too.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #471 of 546
  IMO, that be a sweet deal to get a price drop on the MK2s.. I got mine for $309 + $25 shipping. 

Also, the MK2s has several other improvements over the 1RBT model too.

I think I might just grab them since there's no way the 1ABT's will be near that price range and the difference will be marginal at best imo. At the very least, undetectably by my newbie ears. 

Thanks for your thoughts 

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #472 of 546
I dont think you can go wrong with either model. I just grabbed the 1rbtmk2 today and i'm very impressed with it. For AU$280 I think they'd be a good deal if they were only wired but throw in bluetooth and they become great. Comfort level is off the chart, i have a big head and ears and the fit is amazing, it really puts my more expensive headphones to shame. Sound quality via bluetooth is excellent, bass has a good kick to it, i don't really find them lacking in sub bass like a lot of reviews claim. Mids are vey nice with vocals a little bit forward sounding and the highs are set in just the right spot for laid back, fatigue free listening. Soundstage is also quite good, music sounds quite open and spacious for a closed back.
Overall a very comfortable headphone which is engaging and very easy to listen to. Bluetooth reception is also very good, my house has concrete walls and i had no trouble walking around my house while streaming from my Z3 compact with aptx enabled.

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #473 of 546
  I dont think you can go wrong with either model. I just grabbed the 1rbtmk2 today and i'm very impressed with it. For AU$280 I think they'd be a good deal if they were only wired but throw in bluetooth and they become great. Comfort level is off the chart, i have a big head and ears and the fit is amazing, it really puts my more expensive headphones to shame. Sound quality via bluetooth is excellent, bass has a good kick to it, i don't really find them lacking in sub bass like a lot of reviews claim. Mids are vey nice with vocals a little bit forward sounding and the highs are set in just the right spot for laid back, fatigue free listening. Soundstage is also quite good, music sounds quite open and spacious for a closed back.
Overall a very comfortable headphone which is engaging and very easy to listen to. Bluetooth reception is also very good, my house has concrete walls and i had no trouble walking around my house while streaming from my Z3 compact with aptx enabled.

When you streaming from you Z3 compact with aptx enabled, are you feeding it Flac files?  That is where the aptx shines!

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #474 of 546
Hard case for the Sony MDR -1R Series..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201238159229?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These were $20 with free shipping. .the vendor assured me they will fit the MK2. 

They have another case on Ebay that fits the Sony - MDR1R series too, but they are from China, and they cost Roughly about $35. They have colors too..

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #475 of 546

When you streaming from you Z3 compact with aptx enabled, are you feeding it Flac files?  That is where the aptx shines!

Just listened to flac files of the Lord of the Rings Two Towers soundtrack via bluetooth and it was quite an experience. For a closed back can it is quite impressive how open and spacious it can sound, a couple of times when there was a solo violin playing i actually looked around to see if there was actually someone playing a violin in my room lol. The differences between wired and wireless are quite small it seems and unless i really focus on the music i dont really notice it.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #476 of 546
  Hard case for the Sony MDR -1R Series..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201238159229?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These were $20 with free shipping. .the vendor assured me they will fit the MK2. 

They have another case on Ebay that fits the Sony - MDR1R series too, but they are from China, and they cost Roughly about $35. They have colors too..

I bought this one for my 1RBT MK2 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Store-HeadphoneMate-Headphone-Travel-Case-ATH-Bose-Creative-etc-/161148660509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2585356b1d

Really like it :D

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #477 of 546

Just listened to flac files of the Lord of the Rings Two Towers soundtrack via bluetooth and it was quite an experience. For a closed back can it is quite impressive how open and spacious it can sound, a couple of times when there was a solo violin playing i actually looked around to see if there was actually someone playing a violin in my room lol. The differences between wired and wireless are quite small it seems and unless i really focus on the music i dont really notice it.

Yes it is.. I am listening to "Guardians Of The Galaxy" soundtrack in flac, and one of my coworkers asked me what I was listening too. I gave them my MK2s for a listen, and I had to chase that coworker all around the office. They said they weren't giving the MK2s back!!
biggrin.gif

I have 128gb sd card on my Note 4, crammed with Flac files..

Enjoy...:wink:

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #478 of 546
Yes it is.. I am listening to "Guardians Of The Galaxy" soundtrack in flac, and one of my coworkers asked me what I was listening too. I gave them my MK2s for a listen, and I had to chase that coworker all around the office. They said they weren't giving the MK2s back!!:D

I have 128gb sd card on my Note 4, crammed with Flac files..

Enjoy...:wink:

I love the guardians of the galaxy awesome mix vol. 1, full of awesome old school songs!

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #479 of 546

I bought this one for my 1RBT MK2 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Store-HeadphoneMate-Headphone-Travel-Case-ATH-Bose-Creative-etc-/161148660509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2585356b1d

Really like it :D

Dag, that is a good one. I never saw that one, if I had, I would have got it..

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #480 of 546
Hello,

Im Joseph from India, Im planning to buy Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 and glad I found this forum, Currently I have a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohms with Fiio E10 Amplifier. But I want a wireless headphone which gives a good bass like the beyers with good sound quality, Will this Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 sound as good as the Beyer DT770 + E10 combination? If someone knows please let me know or some other headphones to consider?, thanks.

Sorry if my english is bad, not my first language. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back