Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,156 of 1,177
If anyone want an open back 1AM2, they should try the new MDR MV1, it's IMO a clear upgrade path for the same sound sig.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #1,157 of 1,177
So I ordered a used pair from Japanese Amazon, "very good" condition, ~140€ incl shipping. Can't wait till they arrive, hope they are indeed in a good condition, not a piece someone modded or something...

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #1,158 of 1,177
Update: So the used pair arrived about a week ago and while I would not describe the condition as "very good", I was so impressed I actually ordered a new one. The earpads were falling apart, balanced cable was missing (not needed at all but still) and there was no box nor carrying pouch. Also the jack on the amp/DAP side of the cable was slightly bent. I was disappointed with the condition of the headphones. I've ordered replacement earpads, and have been listening to the headphones ever since the pads arrived. I love the sound. Powerful punchy bass that does not intrude on the rest of the frequencies, nice little treble boost to make things sound lively but not sibilant, generally very clean and powerful V-shaped sound, very dynamic and open sounding. Also the comfort is excellent. The new pair should arrive in a few days (from Japan--they seem to be impossible to get new from anywhere else), I'm looking forward to listening to the new pair. Will keep the used one "for parts".

If I could only have 1 headphone, it would be the 1AM2. I am seriously considering selling all my other headphones now. Maybe except for the E-MU Teak and Senny HD 660S2.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,160 of 1,177
Hey Buddy, where did you get replacement pads from?

Thanks

I bought them from German Amazon, item name is "Geekria Replacement Earpads for MDR-1AM2, MDR-1AM2/B Headphones Ear Pads Ear Pads Repair Parts (Black/Plastic Ring)". They are quite good I think, I hope I will be able to compare them to undamaged original ones soon

Oct 4, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #1,162 of 1,177
Looks like these headphones will be last of it's kind from Sony to use the Aluminium coated Liquid Crystal Polymer drivers. Sony seems to be shifting away from expensive/exotic materials to back to more common eco-friendly materials in recent years.

4889a30942fecd3f5024a7d62de44b9b

Oct 7, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #1,163 of 1,177
So now that the new 1AM2 arrived, I can compare it to the used one with replacement pads on it. The first thing I noticed when I put on the new one, is that it hurts my auricles, because the original Sony pads are shallower and the grill in front of the driver touches my ear pinnae. I am very sensitive to this and it actually hurts, even though the grill's pressure against my ear is quite gentle. But the original pads also sound better. The sound is less "boxy", the upper bass/low midrange is less pronounced, treble is less sharp and sibilant and midrange is more present. Generally a more natural sound.

The replacement pads are a thousand times more comfortable, nothing presses against my auricles, no pain. The sound is still very good I would say, but compared to the original pads, it is just as I described above. "Boxy" sound with upper bass and treble boost, borderline sibilant, distant midrange. Boy how I wish I could have the original pads' sound and replacement pads' comfort. Well, I still have another pair of replacement pads on its way to me, hopefully from a different manufacturer, so I will see how those turn out.

In the mean time I think I will be trying to find a position in which the new pair with the original pads sits on my head/ears in such a way that it causes least possible discomfort. Already found out that extending the sliders less causes less pressure on the ears, which is good. I do not want to be straightening the headband as it already presses against my ears quite gently and the headphones would not be so well secure on my head with less pressure. Still, unfortunately, my pinnae are quite sensitive to anything non-soft even touching them :unamused:

Oct 7, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #1,164 of 1,177
You will see that over time your new 1AM2 become very comfortable.

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,165 of 1,177
So I went on a quest to find the best replacement earpads for the 1AM2. I have bought the following 3:
"Geekria" off amazon.de
"Poyatu" off aliexpress
"Adhiper" off amazon.co.jp

I hoped they are not all made in the same Chinese factory and just sold under different brands, and luckily, they are all different, so I though I would write a small comparison for anyone who needs to buy new ear pads.

I'd begin with writing that the original earpads that came with the new 1AM2 sound the best. Unfortunately, all of the replacement pads change the sound and to me, the changes are all for the worse. Unfortunately, the original earpads are the least comfortable, at least on my head/ears. As I've written in my previous post, the grill covering the driver touches my ears with these earpads and this causes me pain after about an hour (sometimes earlier).

"Geekria" - The most comfortable, they are the deepest with the firmest foam. They feel high quality. Unfortunately, as I have written in my previous post, they make the headphones sound "hollow" and "boxy", with recessed midrange and boosted upper bass and treble. A positive change for someone might be a bigger sense of soundstage (I personally do not care about that). These look quite good on the headphones to me.

"Poyatu" - Obviously the cheapest ones after just one short look. Varying thickness, thicker in some places and thinner in others, generally the shape is not very symmetrical. But they are still more comfortable on my head than the original ones, as the grill covering the driver is not touching my ear, as it does with the originals. They are thicker than the originals but thinner with softer foam than the "Geekria" ones. Sound is actually not so boxy with them as with the "Geekria" ones, the sound is more similar than the original ear pads, but still, the midrange is recessed again, but only slightly. What bothers me about the sound with these, is that the treble becomes pronounced, sharp and sibilant and has a "paper-like" quality to it (sorry, that is the best description I can give). When I put them on the headphones, they actually looked better than I expected, all the unevenness of the shape was not very visible and they do not look so bad on the phones.

"Adhiper" - Good quality, comfort almost the same as "Geekria" (so very good). My favorite ones out of the 3 replacements. Less foam than in the "Geekria" ones, about the same amount as in "Poyatu", but much better made. Nice even shape and without any "too thick" or "too thin" places, like the "Poyatu" ones have. Sound is similar to the "Geekria" ones, but slightly closer to the original sound. Midrange is recessed, but not as much as with the "Geekria" ones. These do not sound so boxy/hollow. I could live with that sound. They look good on the 1AM2, closest to what the headphones look like with the original pads.

I can also try to describe the earpads that came with the used 1AM2: They are obviously worn, the vinyl (?) layer on the inner side of the earpads is all torn an most of it missing, revealing the fabric housing the foam inside. The outside pleather layer on the pads (one that is visible on the outside and touches your skin) is intact. I am not sure if these are the original ones that came with the headphones or if the previous owner managed to wear a replacement this much. They sound the worse of all the pads I have heard on the 1AM2. Treble is very pronounced. That is basically all I can say. Just a ton of treble/upper midrange.

In the end, I will keep using the original earpads that came with the new 1AM2, trying to move the cups slightly every few minutes to find the least painful position. And if I ever manage to wear these to the state that the used and worn ones are in, I'd probably email Sony if they could sell me a replacement, so that I keep the original sound. If that option would be too expensive or Sony would not have that option, I'd go with the Adhiper replacement pads.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #1,166 of 1,177
Today the mdr-1am2 arrived, I like its very musical sound, I also have the mdr-z7m2

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #1,168 of 1,177
Today the mdr-1am2 arrived, I like its very musical sound, I also have the mdr-z7m2

How does it compare to the Z7M2? I would imagine it's different in a worse way.. but do you feel like it was worth the money considering you already had the Z7?

Would love to read the detailed comparisons between them too since I was considering Z7m2 upgrade last time. Not as much eager as before though since I listened to the MDR-Z1R but the diminishing return isnt justified right for the price and quality to me since full size headphones aren't my focus gear.

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,169 of 1,177
How does it compare to the Z7M2? I would imagine it's different in a worse way.. but do you feel like it was worth the money considering you already had the Z7?
Well, the quality is different, among them, the mdr1am2 is of course more portable, and I want one to go on the street and in the office and the other at home, I like the bass of the mdr1am2, I think it feels more present than that of the z7m2 But if the music in the z7m2 is more exquisite, much more defined, the mdr1am2 is for I think more enjoyment of the music regardless of the definition and quality.

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #1,170 of 1,177
Well, the quality is different, among them, the mdr1am2 is of course more portable, and I want one to go on the street and in the office and the other at home, I like the bass of the mdr1am2, I think it feels more present than that of the z7m2 But if the music in the z7m2 is more exquisite, much more defined, the mdr1am2 is for I think more enjoyment of the music regardless of the definition and quality.
I also received the grade SR80x and they are also very enjoyable, I love rock and metal music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back