Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #1,145 of 1,177
Amazon has them in stock right now with two-day shipping. $250

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,146 of 1,177
I love the 1AM2’s so much. I bought a second pair, when I cut the balanced cable, while wearing, gardening. They sound incredible with my DMP-Z1. ( With custom cable. )

Attachments

• IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #1,147 of 1,177
Amazon has them in stock right now with two-day shipping. $250

Be careful with Amazon and headphones.
You have to check if they are from amazon marketplace or from a direct market seller.
If they are from amazon marketplace then they are b-stock.

I already read it quite often that people who were buying headphones from amazon got a non-sealed package.
Sometimes they came without earpads, sometimes without cables and sometimes they were damaged.

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #1,148 of 1,177
Be careful with Amazon and headphones.
You have to check if they are from amazon marketplace or from a direct market seller.
If they are from amazon marketplace then they are b-stock.

I already read it quite often that people who were buying headphones from amazon got a non-sealed package.
Sometimes they came without earpads, sometimes without cables and sometimes they were damaged.
Once I got a used ier M7 package, opened, with a pair of mock Sonys (not even the ier M7, they looked like h3's or so) paid 350 DLLS for it. Good thing Amazon was really chilled about it and gave me my money back

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,149 of 1,177
Any ideas where I could buy a new 1AM2 in Europe with shipping to the Czech Republic? They've been sold out for years here in CZ and Amazon.de only has a used one

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,151 of 1,177
Thanks for the suggestion, but all the offers I see on ebay are from outside of the EU, which means that if I add shipping, VAT and customs, they will end up being more expensive than they're worth IMO. They'd need to be under $200 incl. shipping from outside the EU for me to want to buy them. The offer on German Amazon, which was 250€ w/ free shipping from Germany, was ideal, but they are out of stock there. So I'm looking for a similar deal...

Jul 16, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,153 of 1,177
I gotta say, this thing really responds to the source strongly.

Using it on my FiiO KA3, it’s too peaky for my taste at times, but on my ZX500 it’s much more subdued and enjoyable to listen to.

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #1,154 of 1,177
I would be very careful about with regards to the Meze 99 Classics/Neo - if you can try it first that would be ideal. I have the Neo's and saying that the bass is laughably bloated is, er, an understatement. It's to the point where they are damaging to your ears at any reasonable volume, without immediate EQ. Also, if you EQ you'll need to know what you're doing - the recommended EQ by Metal571 does - where he suggests flooring 300 makes the 99's sound anemic IMO. There's also some issues with the treble - it could be my ears - as I may be sensitive in a peaked region, but they cause my tinnitus to flair up and my ears to ring. Aside from that though, the treble is grainy in direct comparison to the MDR-1A (first gen). I find the tuning of the MDR-1A to be much, much better. As is the comfort.

Back to the subject - I'll throw some thoughts on the MDR-1A. I'll put them in this thread as the phones are so similar to the M2 and this thread is active.

- the pad swap with the Meze pads is not necessarily an improvement. I found that the sound changes for the worse. Firstly, the mids are pushed back and the precision of the treble tuning is changed. Additionally, the midbass is altered, but the midbass was never a dislike for me, so the alteration is not my cup of tea. The comfort is not improved IMO either. The Sony pads are softer, but depending on the size of your ear, yes, your lobe my be on the pad, but with the clamp force and the plushness of the pad, it only should become an issue after several hours of use. The Meze pads work for bigger ears, they are more firm and they change the sound enough that they present a completely different sound altogether. Whether you like it or not will depend on you and your ears of course. I didn't, but, I am not trying to discount anyone's findings. Anyways pad swapping is fun.

- I also just wanted to mention that using extra fine graphite lubricant is the only solution for a creaky MDR-1A or M2 for that matter. Someone mentioned this in one of these threads sometime ago and it's an awesome (but messy be careful!) fix.
im thinking of buying either meze 99 classic or 1am2..... so which one would you suggest.... from what i have read the 99 classic bass was a bit smoother than the neo and the mid is quite okay

Jul 21, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #1,155 of 1,177
I was running my sonys the other day through my Astell & Kern AK PA10 - it sounded great but was almost hilariously overpowered - I could barely touch the volume wheel and BOOM it would go up, lol. It normally drives my ZMF so it didn't even know the Sonys were there, haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back