Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,052 of 1,177
Well, l just tried them with a stereo amp and my impression is just the same. I need them to be more versatile than that.
That's a bummer!

Sounds like the HD300 Pro are a better fit for your sound signature preference(s).

Probably should cut your losses and sell the MDR-1AM2's...at €60, I'm sure you'll find some takers. :wink:

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,053 of 1,177
The sound on the 1AM2 is very clean and powerful in the bass, but it must be mapped with the equalizer. Only with the amplifier it is better to buy an optimized headphone on the harman curve. :wink:

Apr 10, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #1,054 of 1,177
The sound on the 1AM2 is very clean and powerful in the bass, but it must be mapped with the equalizer. Only with the amplifier it is better to buy an optimized headphone on the harman curve. :wink:
I'm sorry. Clean on the bass is not, not by far. The D700X are clean on the bass, the Senn HD300 are. The 1AM2 are not. That is if you know the meaning of "clear". The Sony are muddy and redundant, period. And if I have to go thru several bands of eq, then I'm better off with a different HP altogether. I believe the "use and amp"/"use an eq" theory has seriously gotten out of hand on this forum, no offense.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #1,055 of 1,177
I'm sorry. Clean on the bass is not, not by far. The D700X are clean on the bass, the Senn HD300 are. The 1AM2 are not. That is if you know the meaning of "clear". The Sony are muddy and redundant, period. And if I have to go thru several bands of eq, then I'm better off with a different HP altogether. I believe the "use and amp"/"use an eq" theory has seriously gotten out of hand on this forum, no offense.
As I advised you above, turn to other types of HP if you are not familiar with equalizers.

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #1,056 of 1,177
As I advised you above, turn to other types of HP if you are not familiar with equalizers.
Yep...or even if you just don't like the headphone's sound signature. Many people do like them (EQ'd and not EQ'd) but why waste your time on these when you've 'clearly' :wink: determined that the D700X and the Senn HD300 are better suited to your taste.

Life's too short to spend time with headphones that you don't enjoy! :)

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #1,057 of 1,177
Yep...or even if you just don't like the headphone's sound signature. Many people do like them (EQ'd and not EQ'd) but why waste your time on these when you've 'clearly' :wink: determined that the D700X and the Senn HD300 are better suited to your taste.

Life's too short to spend time with headphones that you don't enjoy! :)
Because obviously I thought they would be better. How could have I been able to say they are not good if I didn't try them? Or is it a crime here to dissent from the mainstream? Chill out, guys. :dt880smile:

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,058 of 1,177
Because obviously I thought they would be better. How could have I been able to say they are not good if I didn't try them? Or is it a crime here to dissent from the mainstream? Chill out, guys. :dt880smile:
No crime to dissent from the mainstream...:beerchug:

Just a waste of everybody's time to keep arguing about it with people that clearly like them (imo).

My point is that you don't think they're good...others do -- fair enough and good for all parties that they found cans that they enjoy!

Beyond your initial impressions, not sure why you'd bother with the ongoing debates with Angel III, Ivan4you, Mrwalkman...not seeing the value to the thread.

Never really understood why this happens so much in Head-Fi. I had a similar experience with Audioquest Nighthawk's -- great recommendations on Head-Fi. So I found a good deal and bought them. Turned out they weren't for me...too dark, etc. Didn't go into their thread and say how bad they were...just chalked it up to experience and moved on.

I find the chill out comment interesting though as you seem way more confrontational/authoritative in your language/comments :wink:

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #1,059 of 1,177
No crime to dissent from the mainstream...:beerchug:

Just a waste of everybody's time to keep arguing about it with people that clearly like them (imo).

My point is that you don't think they're good...others do -- fair enough and good for all parties that they found cans that they enjoy!

Beyond your initial impressions, not sure why you'd bother with the ongoing debates with Angel III, Ivan4you, Mrwalkman...not seeing the value to the thread.

Never really understood why this happens so much in Head-Fi. I had a similar experience with Audioquest Nighthawk's -- great recommendations on Head-Fi. So I found a good deal and bought them. Turned out they weren't for me...too dark, etc. Didn't go into their thread and say how bad they were...just chalked it up to experience and moved on.

I find the chill out comment interesting though as you seem way more confrontational/authoritative in your language/comments :wink:
So, according to you, any thread on HPs should be made up only by enthusiastic posts and comments, without anyone arguing about the faults/defects of a HP. Interesting, and above all very usfeful to anyone who's wondering if they should buy that HP or no. Clever.
:beerchug:

Apr 11, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #1,060 of 1,177
So, according to you, any thread on HPs should be made up only by enthusiastic posts and comments, without anyone arguing about the faults/defects of a HP. Interesting, and above all very usfeful to anyone who's wondering if they should buy that HP or no. Clever.

No, but I think what he's trying to say is that you can state your experience/that you didn't find them as good as the others, without the discussion becoming an argument where you may seem like you try to make your experience some kind of general truth about these headphones.

The 1AM2 could indeed be better, and I found the bass to be a bit muddy/boomy. Using some kind of synthetic wool in the cups helped with this. Overall I enjoy them a lot, especially for the $110 that I paid for them.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,061 of 1,177

Let me re-quote what I wrote...

"No crime to dissent from the mainstream...:beerchug: Just a waste of everybody's time to keep arguing about it with people that clearly like them (imo)."

A dissenting opinion can certainly be worthwhile to the thread -- never said anything to the contrary.

The arguing and insulting tone (see below) to thread members seems be borderline trolling...kinda like you're looking to argue -- which I'll take as a cue to stop :wink:

So what? I liked the Senn in 10 minutes flat.

No, but I think what he's trying to say is that you can state your experience/that you didn't find them as good as the others, without the discussion becoming an argument where you may seem like you try to make your experience some kind of general truth about these headphones.

The 1AM2 could indeed be better, and I found the bass to be a bit muddy/boomy. Using some kind of synthetic wool in the cups helped with this. Overall I enjoy them a lot, especially for the $110 that I paid for them.

Yep ^

FWIW...they're not my favorite cans but I enjoy them for what they are as well!

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,062 of 1,177
I believe you mistake assertiveness for trolling (or, worse, insulting speech). By the way, the answers I got to my mini-review were basically "you should use eq and stop complaining". Anywae, thank you for the exchange.

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,063 of 1,177
I've had these headphones for a couple years now and am still a big fan of them - I use them with my Galaxy Note 9, an ES100 bluetooth thing, or my Fiio M11 Pro - I think they sound great, they come across as very clear, good separation - I did give the bass a slight boost with eq as they felt a little light there, but not problematic to me. There is obviously a noticeable difference between the Sony's and ZMF Eikon but I am impressed with how close they come in overall quality, at least to my ears.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,064 of 1,177
I believe you mistake assertiveness for trolling (or, worse, insulting speech). By the way, the answers I got to my mini-review were basically "you should use eq and stop complaining". Anywae, thank you for the exchange.
In my opinion, even in the simplest comparison it would be very useful to indicate the audio chain of use. I who are on the other side find it difficult to weigh what you are testing. Unfortunately, this often happens in many reviews. :wink:

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #1,065 of 1,177
I've had these headphones for a couple years now and am still a big fan of them - I use them with my Galaxy Note 9, an ES100 bluetooth thing, or my Fiio M11 Pro - I think they sound great, they come across as very clear, good separation - I did give the bass a slight boost with eq as they felt a little light there, but not problematic to me. There is obviously a noticeable difference between the Sony's and ZMF Eikon but I am impressed with how close they come in overall quality, at least to my ears.
The 1AM2 lends itself very well to being equalized. He does great things in metal and electronic music (not only).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back